Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:25:13 AM
713325 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Batman Begins « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: Batman Begins  (Read 11361 times)
dean
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2005, 02:25:15 AM »

It is tough choosing the Joker, mainly because if they do things properly in the next movies, he won't be killed at the end, and therefore must be involved [to a degree at least] in future Batman franchises [possibly]: with the majority of major actors this makes things difficult since they tend to want to 'explore other avenues,' instead of reprising a past role too many times [at least most of the credible good ones do]

But I'd like to just see a good actor suited to the role: it would take careful casting, but it must be in order to get it right.

Personally I don't care if they are big names, or no-names, as long as they are good, really.  I don't have any suggestions however, because I think its a bit hard to get the role right [I thought Nicholson was pretty good btw]

Anywho, I enjoyed Batman Begins so I guess now the agonising wait begins for the next one [can't you tell I'm a Batman fan?]

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Alan Smithee
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2005, 03:36:22 AM »

What I want to know is if they are starting over and distancing themselves from the previous Batman movies? Because if they brought the Joker, Catwoman, (et. al) back- wouldn't that negate the older movies? Because this Batman looks awfully like the Burton Batman, suitwise. So it's not lke they are scrapping the previous Batman movies and starting fresh. Or are they?
Dr. Kobb
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2005, 09:38:04 AM »

I'm like you, Alan.  Not a diehard Batman fan or anything.
But, I caught it last night and thought it was terrific!  My favorite of all the Batman movies yet.  Near as I can tell, they're distancing/starting-from-scratch/reenvisioning the whole franchise with this one.
My gf has alotta trepidition about The Joker role.  She feels they shoulda picked another villain.  I feel that if they do as fine a job with the next as this one, they'll be able to pull it off properly.

I'm more concerned about the upcoming "Superman" movie.  THAT sounds like a truly bad idea to me.

"They turned a forbidden paradise into a raging hell!"
Master Blaster
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2005, 10:29:15 AM »

Yeah, it should be called - Batman Do-Over, but they do pay hommage to the first 1989 flick here and there, and they didnt get rid of the black rubber suit. I've read though it's a complete new beginning with no relation plot wise to the other movies.
Alan Smithee
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2005, 10:45:45 AM »

You can't argue that there is a LOT of talent involved with this movie. Michael Caine... Gary Oldman... Liam Neeson... etc.

But I somehow I can't find it in me to drag myself to the movie theatre to watch another Batman movie.
dean

« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2005, 10:49:47 AM »

Yeah they are doing it over: otherwise the Joker wouldn't have been mentioned in that way [if they were going by the other movies then how would the Joker be involved yet?]

Also Batman Begins may have a Burton's Batman feel about it, but isn't that because Burton was also inspired by Frank Miller's Batman: Year One?

Begins was certainly inspired by Year One: its a story about how Wayne became Batman, and the scene where, runining from Gordon, he jumps from one roof to another [without the suit on] seems to be a reference to Year One I think, from what I remember...  But thats not really important.

Anyway, they are starting again, and just because they mentioned the Joker doesn't mean that he has to be in the next one [though it means he probably will be!]

Eventually however I would like to see the following Batman comics brought to the big screen in one form or another:

Hush
Long Halloween.

Those two were really good Batman comics that I have enjoyed thoroughly.  I have read a few more and although my favourites are the Miller 'Dark Knight Returns' and 'Strikes Back' they would be a bit too extreme to pull off!

Anyway, this was a very enjoyable Batman flick.  Didn't really have a problem with any of it [except every now and then the sound in the theater would drop in quality here and there, but that's not the movie's fault]

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Master Blaster
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2005, 11:08:14 AM »

Superhero movies are getting a little old. There's no chance they'll let up anytime soon though. Fantastic 4, Superman, and Ghost Rider are all on the horizon. Eventually people will get sick of them and they'll start to bomb I imagine. Especially since alot of them are really terrible. Cult movie fodder for future generations I suppose. I still get a kick out of Dolph's Punisher.
Neville

« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2005, 01:27:59 PM »

Anyone interested in Batman as a comic character should check as well Alan Moore's "The killing Joke". Awesome.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
Master Blaster
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2005, 01:29:45 PM »

Is'nt that the one where the Joker beats Robin to death with a crowbar? I think we've all wanted to do that at some point. : )
Neville

« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2005, 02:07:51 PM »

Haha, nope, but it shows the Joker doing some really sick things, so it's not for the squeamish.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
nobody
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2005, 05:27:30 PM »

There is an oversaturation of comic book movies, that's for sure. That's the way Hollywood works- the suits like to run good things into the ground.

"Spiderman" pulled in a lot of cash. Both "X-Men" flicks didn't do bad, either. Hollywood is trying to strike the same gold over and over again. But the big problem is, Hollywood isn't run by comic book fans. They don't realize that some superheroes deserve the big screen treatment, while others, like "Electra" and "The Fantastic Four" for example, shouldn't even be made into straight-to-video features.

For the casual movie goer who isn't a comic book fan, it might be difficult to know which superhero movies will be good and which ones will totally bomb. Having read comics through most of my childhood, though, it's hard for me to fall for the traps. I didn't bother to see "The Hulk" in theaters. I passed on "Electra" completely. I'm not even going to watch the trailer for "Ghost Rider" if I can help it.
I don't waste my time or money watching second-rate superhero movies... so ultimately, their oversaturation doesn't bother me.

I don't think superhero movies like "Spiderman", "X-Men" and "Batman Returns" will disappear... but we should start seeing an end to the lame superheroes soon, since they don't make enough money. Hollywood is running out of lame hero options, anyway.

"Television is an invention that permits you to be entertained in your living room by people you wouldn't have in your home."  
(David Frost)
Dr. Kobb
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2005, 05:36:57 PM »

Actually, I think they have a different agenda in mind.  Very, very soon, after we're all(not just comic book fans, but the general public) cozy with the Marvel universe(and perhaps D.C.'s to an extent, too) I believe they have every intention of pitting these superheroes against one another in movies(ya know, Spidey vs Hulk, Fantastic Four after both, and such).  I actually hope I'm wrong in this assumption, but my gut tells me I ain't.

"They turned a forbidden paradise into a raging hell!"
Alan Smithee
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2005, 02:24:19 AM »

It looks like Batman Begins might not be the blockbuster as some people have predicted. Granted it's been out for only a couple days, but from the numbers I've been seeing- it's not living up to all praise at the B.O.

And it's probably going to have to fight like hell to stay above water when War of the Worlds comes out. And let's not forget the Fantastic 4 and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

If Batman Begins doesn't rake in over $150 million domestically (which it probably could), there might not be any Batman sequels.

Apart from the loyal Batman fans, not many people are rushing out to see this movie. I'm sure it'll peak this weekend. But expect a considerable drop next weekend. You'd think with school being out, there'd be a larger turn-out for Batman Begins (despite a PG-13 rating).
dean

« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2005, 09:14:02 AM »

I have a feeling Batman will be a slow builder.

People, such as Batman fans, will either see it straight away, or, after being burned by the last two, eventually come around via the praise it has been getting, therefore picking up in the Box Office.  But yes, it does have a struggle ahead of it in terms of competition.

odinn7

« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2005, 08:54:00 AM »

I saw this movie last night and as a long time Batman/Dark Knight fan I can say it was a religious experience to me...ha-ha, not quite but damn close. This movie was absolutely everything that Batman should be. The underlying theme was fear, anger, and hatred and his need to overcome it all and balance it within himself. Batman was brutal when he needed to be but still stuck to his standards, just like the Dark Knight that I used to enjoy reading about so much. There was almost nothing I could've come up with to add to make it any better. My wife was annoyed that they spent so much time building him into the Batman character but that was one of the things I really liked. This movie, this Batman needed the character buildup. Some of the imagery was almost directly from a few of the books. One scene in particular was when he was sitting on top of one of the buildings overlooking Gotham with his cape hanging down around him. I've seen that basic image in so much Batman art and stories that I can't even count that high. This movie was nothing short of fantastic to me as a fan. One more thing, Christian Bale was an excellent Bruce Wayne/Batman. I have no regrets that they chose him to be the character like I did with Keaton, Clooney, and (vomit) Kilmer.

I also enjoyed the line: "I won't kill you, but that doesn't mean I have to save you."

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Batman Begins « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.