Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 10:37:51 AM
714153 Posts in 53091 Topics by 7732 Members
Latest Member: Larryfiste
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Batman Begins « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: Batman Begins  (Read 11498 times)
Dunners
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #45 on: June 20, 2005, 05:20:29 PM »

The film has made 72 million total here in the US so thats roughly half of what they spent on it. good news.

The trilogy's villains have also been confirmed.

the next film will be about the joker, and the third will be about Two-face.

save the world, kill a politician or two.
Archivist
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #46 on: June 21, 2005, 05:42:19 AM »

SPOILERS BELOW (as if reading this far hasn't spoiled it enough)

Okay, I just saw it this afternoon, and I have to say that I was absolutely blown away.  Fan-freaking-tastic.

I was never a real fan of the Batman movies.  The original Michael Keaton Batman movie was good but never the kind of thing that it 'should' have been.  They never paid real attention to the fact that Batman is a traumatised individual driven by anger and the desire for justice and revenge.  Later Batman movies that with Mr Freeze, Robin and Batgirl, were just stupid.  The lame attempts at comedy removed Batman from its true origins and feel.  For example, when Bane (from the 'Venom' Batman sequence) was introduced in this horribly comical manner, I was so disappointed.  The Venom graphic novel could be a superb movie in itself, and the studio  and writers totally dropped the ball.

As soon as I saw Daredevil, I thought that it was the kind of movie that Batman should have been to begin with, and I've said so here on a number of occasions.  Now my expectations and hopes have been completely outdone.  This movie is gritty, as realistic as you can get for a superhero movie, explores Bruce Wayne's true motivations and feelings, and simply does not stop with the action.

The gadgets are all 'possible'.  Throwing knives (not cheesy 'Batarangs'), monofilament grappling lines, ultrasonic bat-callers, the nomex/kevlar Batsuit, everything is within the realms of scientific possibility.  The Batmobile is a totally kickass piece of machinery.  And the Batsuit has NO NIPPLES, thank god!!!

There was so much potential for overacting in this movie, but everything was done very tastefully and 'realistically'.  Bale is superb at expressing the different emotions of Bruce Wayne and Batman, Caine is full of class and loyalty as Alfred, Liam Neeson is Qui-Gon-BAD in this movie, this time the *evil* master whos 'apprentice' turns out to be *good*, unlike Anakin.  Morgan Freeman had a nicely avuncular feel.  Even Katie Holmes, who has been getting a bit of schtick as the love interest, isn't as bad as people had been making out.

There is even some nice bantering humour, which lightened things enough to provide respite from the seriousness of other parts.

Something I found genuinely frightening was Cillian Murphy's Scarecrow, and the way the fear-inducing hallucinogen was introduced.  Kids should NOT see this movie, as they will definitely have nightmares.  Heck, *I* was frightened by that one.  Murphy's role as a twisted psychiatrist is interesting.  He is soft, almost effete, and menacing not from a physical point of view, but from what he can do to your *mind*.  And to me, that is even more frightening than some hulking behemoth who knows no pain.

The realism of this Batman is all throughout the movie.  Mention is made of tiredness, exhaustion, physical injury and damage.  The scene where Wayne saves Ducard from sliding off the cliff is teeth-clenchingly painful.  Batman is not a 'superhero', he is a highly driven human being doing the best with what he has.

Also realistic was the portrayal of Bruce Wayne's father as a wealthy doctor and philanthropist who was trying to make the city better.  Very caring and loving to his son and others, warm hearted and generous, Wayne Sr's murder is still a shock when it comes.  The scene where a young Gordon comforts Bruce immediately after is very touching.

The action scenes are superb.  The Batmobile, the train sequence, the grappling line flights, everything was handled excellently.

As much as I love martial arts movies and HK action movies in particular, I love the fact that the fight scenes in Batman Begins were far less slick and acrobatic than anything in recent superhero adaptations.  It's almost as if the director and writer said, 'we don't NEED some Hong Kong fight choreographer to make this movie great!'  And they did.  The fight scenes did seem a little choppy and quickly cut, but I believe this was to bring more brutal realism to the action.

And the soundtrack!  Hans Zimmer rules in this one.  I don't think I heard any stupid popular rap, techno or grunge tracks in this movie.  Everything was glorious orchestral scores that brought out the rich feeling of the movie.

This movie does not 'follow' any of the other Batman movies, and makes some departures from the comics.  This is a complete reinvention and updating of the franchise, and IF they stick with this direction, I will be first in line to see any sequel they may make.

I have not been this excited and impressed by a movie since the original Blade and the first Matrix, and I've seen a lot of movies since then.  I only saw it this afternoon, and I want this on DVD NOW!!!

Excellent.

~Archivist~

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
Lee
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #47 on: June 26, 2005, 10:45:50 PM »

I vote for Crispen Glover! He'd be awesome.

This is the Hell that's my life.-Howard Stern: Private Parts
LH-C
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #48 on: June 27, 2005, 07:33:32 PM »

As much as I like super-hero movies, I'm burned out on them now. And while I liked both Spiderman 1 & 2, 2 left me  more than a little cold. X-Men was so-so (even though I Love the X-men). Didn't see The Hulk,  because it looked lame, as does Fantastic Four (even though I loved the show as a kid, and that I'm also a long, long time fan of Ioan Gruffudd), and a number of other super-hero flicks. Also, I heard that if there is another Batman sequel, Katie Holmes will not be in it. The producers are sick of all the Cruise bs.

Post Edited (06-27-05 19:35)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Batman Begins « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.