Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:25:16 AM
713394 Posts in 53059 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Castle Freak (1995) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Castle Freak (1995)  (Read 1123 times)
Neville
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: June 15, 2005, 05:47:46 PM »

Andrew spoke quite kindly of this film some time ago, when I was speaking od how good Dagon had seemed to me, specially coming from somebody like Stuart Gordon, who I always taken, until then, by a lousy filmmaker, since I feel very litle appreciation for his earlier works, including Re-animator and From Beyond.

Just having seen Castle Freak, and also taken into account his non-genre film King of the ants, I have to say that i was wrong. Gordon may have been heavy-handed and careless in other ocasions, but these two movies -three if you include Dagon- show that he's somehow matured into a very different filmmaker as the years passed.

Castle Freak is a mid-nineties Full Moon productions, and as many of Gordon's genre films, it is loosely based on a Lovecraft tale. If I remember correctly, the tale was one of his earlier ones, and presented the story -told by himself- of a young man that had spended most of his life separated from other human beings, and when he finally tried to contact them realised too late that he was amonster, and that was the reason he had been kept aside for long years. It is a haunting short tale, probably written with Poe in mind.

Here Gordon and coleague Dennis Paoli have changed the focus of the story and the main characters are a marriage in crisis who unexpectedly inherit an Italian castle. Problem is, the castle comes with a unwelcomed guest, a deformed creature that stalks and tries to kill them.

And it is a great film. It is filmed on location, on a real Italian castle. The script is tight and expertly paced, if a bit too laconic in character development, but both Gordon and the main actors - Jeffrey Combs and Barbara crampton - deliver it with extraordinary ability and seriousness. Gone is the tongue-in-cheek tone and the heavy-handed narration that plagues some of Gordon's worst films. Instead, everybody seems to be trying hard for a contemporary gothic. And it works fantasticaly. Even the ocasional gore is played more for serious horror -as it would be later on dagon and King of the ants- than for gratuitous shock.

A very pleasant surprise, and a must for horror fans out there.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
raj

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2005, 12:43:32 PM »

Very good film, it has an actual plot and subplot (relationship between husband Coombs and wife Crampton) to it.
Gerry
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

It's not what you say, it's how you say it.

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2005, 03:16:41 PM »

I liked it too though I won't heap the praise on it that Neville did (I prefer DAGON to this one).  The setting was awesome, the acting is very good with Barbara and Jeff as good as they've ever been.  The plot could have been better IMO as it degenerated rather quickly into harum scarum monster movie just as things were starting to get interesting.

Note to hookers: don't try to seduce monsters when you get trapped with one.
Neville

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2005, 04:21:25 PM »

Gerry wrote: "I prefer DAGON to this one"

And so do I. It is only that I though that that one was just a lucky shot, hence my enthusiasm in seing I was wrong.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Castle Freak (1995) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.