Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 02:58:58 AM
714308 Posts in 53091 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Maximum Overdrive « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Maximum Overdrive  (Read 4237 times)
Alan Smithee
Bad Movie Lover

« on: June 17, 2005, 12:18:46 AM »

I checked this movie out at the local library.

It's pretty bad. First off, I have this bias against anything remotely Sheen (although Apocalypse Now was a great movie)- Emilio Estevez inspires the same reaction in me that fingernails over a chalkboard does for others.

The movie was doomed from the beginning. It  has barely enough material to pad out a feature length movie.

Furthermore, the dubious end notes mention a UFO being shot down over Earth.
This comes as an after-thought. It's like the producers were to cheap to actually show this and instead tacked on this 'follow up'.

If anything, this movie sealed Stephen King's fate as a budding movie director.
Mr_Vindictive
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2005, 07:10:12 AM »

Yep, this is King's worst flick to date and the only one he ever directed.  Even as bad as it is, I still find myself watching it whenever it comes on cable.  It might be terrible, but atleast it's fun as hell.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2005, 08:17:21 AM »

Skaboi wrote:

>
> but atleast it's fun as hell.
>

It is that.  I cannot recall any specifically right now, but are there not some pretty funny Emilio quotes?

And wasn't this the one shot in Wilmington, NC?  Skaboi, are you in it?  :)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Georgie Boy
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2005, 08:17:29 AM »

Terrible movie..

AWESOME SOUNDTRACK

Fiiiiiiaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2005, 08:28:23 AM »

Yup, sure was shot in Wilmington.  Unfortunatly though, you'll not see a cameo from me in the flick.  :o)

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Yaddo 42

Where's that brick.......

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2005, 02:05:20 PM »

You do get to see the future Mrs. Trump #2 (Marla Maples) screaming her head off before she's killed by the truck full of produce.

I liked this the first time I saw it, a buddy in high school told me it was great, and I still think it's fun on that "don't think about it" level. Like the coke machine shooting the cans out as projectiles. But I find myself wondering why only certain vehicles came to life (the semis but not the cars) and how the little military vehicle could fire the M-60. I know it's not that kind of movie, but my enjoyment hasn't lasted over the years.

I know that King has said this is why he no longer criticizes film adaptions of his work, although he still removes his name from them sometimes. He said he had his shot to make a film based on his material and he found out how hard it really was.

Post Edited (06-18-05 16:33)

blah blah stuff blah blah obscure pop culture reference blah blah clever turn of phrase blah blah bad pun blah blah bad link blah blah zzzz.....
peter johnson

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2005, 09:46:25 PM »

The Green Goblin head on the front of that truck!!!!
Hey, it's a friggin' masterpiece, wottaya talkin about?
"Look at the trucks circling.  They want us to fill them with gas!" -- Prophetic!
Hell, I'll never miss it if it's on at 1am --
peter johnson/denny crane

I have no idea what this means.
Cullen
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2005, 10:37:38 PM »

I've always liked this movie.  No real reason, I guess, except I've seen worse out there.

Cullen - Super Genius, Novelist, and all in all Great Guy.
Zapranoth
Eye of Sauron and

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2005, 11:50:53 PM »

I just remember Steven King on the TV ads:

"I'm gonna scare the HELL outta you!"
Susan
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2005, 09:11:46 AM »

i wouldn't say by far this is kings worst flick, it's actually midway - there were way worse king movies made. this one is watchable and it grows on you

Zapranoth
Eye of Sauron and

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2005, 10:04:14 AM »

It's almost Father's Day, and so I must bring up my favorite bad King movie -- Creepshow!

"It's Father's Day, Bedelia.  I WANT MY CAKE!"

Rrrrrrah!  *crunch!*

And of course there's one of my favorite King-uttered lines in that one:    "Met-eee-or s**t!!!"
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2005, 07:13:35 AM »

There was a cable version of the King story Trucks which Maximum Overdrive is based on. It starred Timothy Busfield and was much more like the short story.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2005, 08:15:07 AM »

Creepshow was a great movie. I like horror anthology pictures in general, but that is one of my all-time favourites. Loads of fun. I try to watch it every Halloween.

Maximum Overdrive was actually pretty popular with the people I knew in high school. We were all in our late teens, it was lots of mindless fun and action, and best of all, it had a soundtrack by AC/DC! We rented it a few times.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Yaddo 42

Where's that brick.......

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2005, 01:40:51 PM »

I think by the time I saw the movie I had begun to pass from my AC/DC listening phase, If I'd only found the film sooner.

Thanks to classic rock radio over load, even now I can only listen to their songs that I haven't heard thousands of times like "Jail Break". Yet if I were to look through my old tape collection I know that I have at least three taped copies of the album "Black In Black", only two of which I know where they came from.

blah blah stuff blah blah obscure pop culture reference blah blah clever turn of phrase blah blah bad pun blah blah bad link blah blah zzzz.....
Jim H

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2005, 08:41:16 PM »

""It's Father's Day, Bedelia. I WANT MY CAKE!""

My favorite part is the flashback where he goes "It's father's day.  WHERE'S MY CAKE?  YOU PROMISED ME MY CAAAAA-AAAAKE!!"

Here it is http://www.badmovies.org/othermovies/creepshow/creepshow1.wav
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Maximum Overdrive « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.