Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:34:04 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  That Famous Canned Movie Scream... « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: That Famous Canned Movie Scream...  (Read 7545 times)
nobody
Bad Movie Lover

« on: June 18, 2005, 12:42:05 AM »

Is everyone here totally sick of that famous, insanely overused canned movie scream yet? I'm talking about the one that only lasts for a few seconds and sounds like a man screaming in intense pain.

I don't have a link to the sound wav, and I obviously can't type the sound to you effectively...

"EEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!"

...but I'm sure you all know exactly what I'm talking about. If not, it's latest use is in the new "Land of the Dead" TV spot. The next time you see that playing on TV you can get a good, healthy reminder of what I'm referring to.

That scream, because it's so desperately in need of retirement, makes every movie it appears in a complete joke. If George Romero is such a great horror movie director he should realize how hoaky its become. At what point do you think movie makers will finally stop using it, if ever?

...or am I the only one who has a problem with it?

"Television is an invention that permits you to be entertained in your living room by people you wouldn't have in your home."  
(David Frost)
Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2005, 12:54:56 AM »

I know which scream you're talking about.
I agree, it does make any movie it's in a joke.

I'll try to find a clip of it online.
Ozzymandias
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2005, 01:16:42 AM »

The Wilhelm Scream. It is believed to be actor/singer Sheb Wooley. George Lucus and a few others like to use it as a joke. To me, it reminds me of Eddie Murphy's immitation of Lee Harvey Oswald's scream when he was shot (OOOOWWWW-OOOOOOOCH!).

There is also a woman's scream that is on a lot of sound effects records and in movies that is a half scream/half cry. It is the only scream we have at the radio station I work at and one of our advertisers has over used it in his commercials. I now called the "Robbinett Buisness Systems scream."

Of all those I like that Disney "killer catfight" they had it on that old Disney Halloween record.
Ash

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2005, 01:25:38 AM »

Man, I've searched through two websites full of sound effects and I found a few that sounded close but couldn't find it.

HERE IS A LIST of websites to look through.

Use the search term: "scream man" within each site and it'll bring up all the scream sound clips of men screaming in different ways.

Let us know if you find it.

Post Edited (06-18-05 01:27)
nobody
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2005, 01:42:23 AM »

If you look up "The Wilhelm Scream" on Wikipedia you can listen to a sound clip. That's a famous scream that needs to be retired, that's for sure... but it's not the scream I'm talking about. The one I'm talking about is much, much more intense. I'm really surprised I can't find it anywhere online. The net is usually a wealth of garbage like this...

"Television is an invention that permits you to be entertained in your living room by people you wouldn't have in your home."  
(David Frost)
Ash

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2005, 02:06:11 AM »

Actually, that's not the scream I was thinking of but I do remember the one you are referring to though.

The one I was thinking of is used frequently in movies and sounds like a guy falling to his death.
2xSlick
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2005, 10:53:08 PM »

Yeah, the WIlhelm scream is the sound Storm Troopers make when shot. The original poster is refering to the sound one of the badies makes falling into the Sarlac (sp? pit). It's also been used in every Cowboy movie where someone is shot and falls to his death.

*Edit* Okay, I believe it is the Wilhelm scream.  I found a website that said their were 6 different versions. Here is a link that talks about the Wilhelm in detail. Look at the bottom of the page for a 48mb file full of over a dozen film clips with this sound. Also like to add that it was pretty damn funny going through about 50 different "male scream fall" searches and listening to the results.
http://www.theforce.net/latestnews/story/The_Wilhelm_Scream_77600.asp

Post Edited (06-20-05 10:34)

http://www.youtube.com/user/2xslickvs -For the worst in video game and movie reviews, mostly dealing with zombies.
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2005, 10:38:02 PM »

Here is a list of some pretty good sound cliches. The "scream" is listed in there.  Not the falling one though.
http://www.filmsound.org/cliche/
Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
Dunners
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2005, 11:39:08 PM »

Are you an idiot or a jackass nobody?
Neither Romero or any other directors ever really have a hand in making a tv spot. Thats someone elses job thats supervised by a suit or a coouple of suits that are paid to advertise the film.

While I dont like the scream either, there is no reason for you to blame Romero for this. If you want to blame anyone blame your own gullibility for not being able to recognize who does what in the film industry.

Sorry to rant here but I've heard too many topics like this posted on forums and its just driving me insane.

save the world, kill a politician or two.
Brother Ragnarok

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2005, 12:41:11 AM »

Similar sound effects that bother me:  The canned "fwaahfwoosh!" used for EVERY f**kING FIRE EVER.  The canned "bzzrrtbzzrrttbzzrrt" every time electricity arcs.
And Miguel Ferrer's tires squealing as he burns out on THE LAWN in "Night Flier."  Yes, I know that's not an overused canned effect, but it still bugs the crap out of me.

There are only two important things in life - monsters and hot chicks.
    - Rob Zombie
Rape is just cause for murdering.
    - Strapping Young Lad
Jim H

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2005, 01:18:46 AM »

I know exactly the one you're talking about.  Fox uses it when they overdub sound effects for some dumbass reason.  I'd guess Land of the Dead doesn't actually have it, just the commercial.
Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2005, 07:55:28 AM »

I'm running down to the grocery to get some canned laughter. It's on my list of things to do.

2xSlick
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2005, 11:09:34 AM »

Ugh, just thought of an even worse canned scream. At least the Wilhelm screams sound hilarious. How about that horrible woman's shriek. The one that  doesn't even sound human and is really a half shriek followed by a nice long one? I'll look for sound clips.

http://www.youtube.com/user/2xslickvs -For the worst in video game and movie reviews, mostly dealing with zombies.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2005, 02:36:56 PM »

Thank-you for the list, Ed. My favorite sound cliche is the one under "Knife." "When a character pulls out a knife, even from his pants, you [almost always] hear a sound of metal brushing metal." Except, for me, it is when a character pulls his sword from the scabbard, even if the scabbard is made out of leather or something besides metal.

Lee
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2005, 09:46:07 PM »

I love stock sound effects. I think my favorite is the punch to the face. That's classic. :)

This is the Hell that's my life.-Howard Stern: Private Parts
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  That Famous Canned Movie Scream... « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.