Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 01:07:03 AM
714254 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Of all the tunes to have stuck in my head « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Of all the tunes to have stuck in my head  (Read 2342 times)
AndyC
« on: December 17, 2001, 12:33:04 PM »

I decided, for the Christmas Greeting issue of the paper where I work, to do a review of Santa Claus Conquers the Martians. They let me write a monthly bad movie column, which seems to go over pretty well with some readers. I eventually hope to put up all of my old columns on a web site, if I ever find the time. I have about 20. Anyway, last Christmas, I reviewed Santa Claus (the 1959 mexican film) and the Star Wars Holiday Special. Only SCCTM could follow that.

To refresh my memory, I rented SCCTM on the weekend, as I hadn't seen it in years. Now, I've got the theme stuck in my head.

S-A-N-T-A C-L-A-U-S
Hooray for Santy Claus!

He's fat and round
but jumpin' jiminy
he can climb down
any chiminey

Aaaaaaaagh!

Possibly, by writing the review immediately, I might exorcise this demon.

One amusing thing that struck me on seeing SCCTM after so many years. Billy Foster would be about the same age as Bill Foster, played by Michael Douglas in Falling Down.

Imagine Billy, returning from his alien abduction with Santa Claus, is put in therapy and eventually convinced that it never happened. Still, the repressed memory prompts him to go into the defense industry, and causes his irritability. After losing his job and his family, he finally snaps one hot summer day and goes on a rampage in Los Angeles while walking to his little girl's birthday party. It works surprisingly well.
AndyC
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2001, 01:05:23 PM »

Just went looking for the IMDB listing on Santa Claus Conquers the Martians, and discovered that somebody is remaking it! After seeing what Hollywood has done to good old movies and TV shows, what will they do when they try to make this one hip and trendy? Will we get an updated dance version of the theme song from Hell?

There is very little information, but I am somewhat encouraged to see that Ben Edlund and Randolph Heard, of Tick fame, are listed as writers.
Mofo Rising
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2001, 04:59:13 PM »

Does this have anything to do with that "yumpin' yiminee" thread a couple doors down?
Andrew
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2001, 07:22:58 PM »

I still have "The Cane Toad Blues" stuck in my head, it is maddening!

Cane toads a coming,
cane toads a coming,
main roads are humming with the cane toad blues.

Cane toads a coming,
cane toads a coming,
main roads are humming with the cane toad blues.

Cane toooaaaddddd,
when you gonna leave me alone?
Heading south,
like a case of foot and mouth.
Cane toooaaaddddd,
you're supposed to set us freeeeeeeeeeeee!

Andrew
Vermin Boy
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2001, 07:35:39 PM »

I remember hearing about this years ago. Edlund's been working on it for a while, but the new Tick series has understandably delayed it. As far as I can tell, it was Edlund's idea, not a studio's, so it's possible it'll be infused with his quirky, occasionally dark humor, instead of phony "heartwarming" stuff.
Lee
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2001, 07:04:28 PM »

Sounds like a pretty catchy tune Andrew, of course I haven't actually heard it.
Frannie
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2001, 08:02:13 PM »

that hurts
Andrew
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2001, 08:17:58 PM »

Here's a snippet from the review.

Don't say I didn't warn you.

Andrew
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Of all the tunes to have stuck in my head « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.