Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 05:07:54 PM
714347 Posts in 53094 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Worst Eatting Sound Effect.? « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Worst Eatting Sound Effect.?  (Read 14856 times)
daveblackeye15
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: June 18, 2005, 08:45:29 PM »

Okay I'm back on movies. (I'll bet Mr. Krieger69 will be pleased to hear this)

I was just watching Gamera vs. Gyaos and whenever Gyasi ate some poor soul i'd go "Boy! That's the crappist and dumbest sound effect ever used for somebody eatting something"

I'm not trying to make a moutain out of a molehill here, I'm just trying to make a new topic that I hope isn't too silly.

The sound is like a little engine in a toy, it's not a grinding or a rattleing more like a odd 'bzzzz' or "grrrr". I would have had more like a "crunch, crunch!" of the bones breaking.

Just plain dumb if you ask me.

Now it's time to sing the nation anthem IN AMERICA!!!

Bandit Keith from Yu-Gi-Oh the Abridged Series (episode 12)
raj

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2005, 06:47:13 PM »

In Leaving Scars, the gun shots are cap gun sounds.  Isn't there a big repository of sound effects that sound effects guys can use?  Or, alternatively, how expensive is it to go out and shoot a couple rounds( rhetorical)?
Jim H

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2005, 07:06:08 PM »

A "big repository" of sound effects is called a sound library, and there are a number of free ones out there (if you have a good ear for it, like I do, you'll notice some video games and movies have the same sound effects - especially canned screams, knife slashes and gunshot sounds).  I don't know why some movies have such bad sound effects though - shear laziness?
Scottie
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2005, 09:48:42 PM »

Want to know the most famous and ripped off punch sound clip? It's the first punch from Raiders of the Lost Ark in the bar. A good assortment of free sound clips can be found at your local university, radio station, or http://www.freeaudioclips.com/. Be sure to use uncopywrited music if you plan on distributing your final product for profit. Another good source of uncopywrited music is classical music from a composer who has been dead 70+ years. Public domain baby!

___<br />Spongebob: What could be better than serving up smiles? <br />Squidward: Being Dead.
raj

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2005, 02:02:02 PM »

Yeah, that's it, a sound library thingie.  It could be laziness, lack of funds (but then you better have a real small budget, say, a one credit card limit budget) or a total lack of respect for your audience.
Master Blaster
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2005, 03:07:03 PM »

I imagine a good foley artist back in the day was expensive. Older bad movies with bad sound effects were probably just the product of an inept foley artist. There was also a trend of using electronic sounds even if they were innapropriate because everyone was so excited about synthesizers being they were completely new.
Jim H

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2005, 03:57:37 PM »

"Another good source of uncopywrited music is classical music from a composer who has been dead 70+ years. Public domain baby!"

It is worth mentioning that the music itself is public domain, but the recordings are not - unless you can track down a 70+ year old music recording, you'll still have to pay for rights, or have your own group record.  However, there are many lesser known orchestras from which you can license music cheaply.  Or, if you wanted, you could have someone put together an electronic arrangement of it cheaply.
Master Blaster
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2005, 05:33:02 PM »

Being one of a billion electronic musicians out there who nobody gives a fark about I can assure you, WE COME CHEAP!!! Me score your film long time!
StatCat
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2005, 05:46:34 PM »

I couldn't think of an eating sound effect but one that's been used OVER AND OVER to infinity in commercials, movies etc., is this crappy kid's laughing sound effect that you'd probably recognize if you heard it. I've heard it in countless movies and it makes me cringe with disgust every time.

-----------------------------------------------------
Wear a suit and tie when I'd rather sit and die
Scottie
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2005, 07:05:58 PM »

Oh! You're right! That could have caused some mega problems should I have went with that logic. Only music that has been written 70+ years before, not the actual performance.

Worst eating sound effect? Gosh, I'd have to say any clip of someone slurping is the worst. Slurping is such a detestable noise to begin with, in any movie it's disasterous.

I enjoy this conversation. Stories of where sound effects come from on movies are worth hearing. In case you want to make your own film, these little tips add up.

___<br />Spongebob: What could be better than serving up smiles? <br />Squidward: Being Dead.
raj

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2005, 01:07:01 PM »

The sound I hate is of a can being opened and then a drink poured into a glass.  It was ok the first time I heard it, 20 years ago.  Now it's just annoying.
ToyMan
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2005, 10:36:04 PM »

how about that one "scream" that you hear in everything from "extreme sporting" programs, soda advertisements, first person shooters, cartoons, and b-movies?

you know the one. it's like "oooaaaaaggggghhhhhh!!!", and it sounds like the person screaming is either falling, or being torn in half.

Anonymous User
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2005, 03:36:58 PM »

Hey Jim H,

Do you know where i can find some uncopywrited music?
Just Plain Horse
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2005, 01:53:40 PM »

The Gamera/Goas one is pretty bad, but the most embarrasing one I ever heard was on the trailer for Scorsese's remake of "Cape Fear", which I found on the DVD of the film recently. There's the male version of the canned scream, it sounds like it belongs on maybe one of "Weird Al" Yankovic's song parodies. As if De Niro hasn't suffered enough...

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Worst Eatting Sound Effect.? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.