Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:58:56 AM
713328 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Fire in the Sky « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Fire in the Sky  (Read 2312 times)
Alan Smithee
Bad Movie Lover

« on: June 22, 2005, 11:53:16 AM »

Not a great movie, and I don't know how much to believe of this guy's story- but the alien scenes are pretty horrifying and truely unearthly. The movie might play out like an extended episode of X Files or a SciFi channel made for TV movie. But the lack of cgi  (afterall, this movie is from the early 90's) works to it's advantage.

As a side note, an absolutely horrying book is Whitley Streiber's "Communion". I believe him. I've heard him on Art Bell's show. Avoid the movie version of the book, though.
h.p. Love
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2005, 01:16:44 PM »

Alan Smithee wrote:

> As a side note, an absolutely horrying book is Whitley
> Streiber's "Communion". I believe him. I've heard him on Art
> Bell's show. Avoid the movie version of the book, though.

I "love" the movie. I haven't read the book but I have it. The cover creeps me out. I have a book of letters Streiber has received from other supposed victims. It's pretty funny.

- This message has been approved by the Order of Conspicuous Merit -
Menard
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2005, 01:29:34 PM »

Streiber and Bell are both at the top of my BS list, especially after the hoax they instigated with the comet companion. Art Bell has always been full of BS and uses it to take advantage of gullible people and Whitley Streiber does not strike me as being any different.

Fearless Freep
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2005, 01:29:44 PM »

I believe him. I've heard him on Art Bell's show

My cognative dissonance meter just red-lined again

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
Jim H

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2005, 01:47:22 PM »

The alien stuff in Fire in the Sky is EXTREMELY effective, but that's a minority of the film and the rest is just mediocre at best.  I still give it a reccomendation though, as the alien stuff is just THAT good...  Some of the most effective scary/creepy moments in any film I've seen.  Well, to be honest, I haven't seen it since I first saw it in the theatres, and I might not think it was so good if I saw it again..  But still.

BTW, Strieber is a great author if nothing else.  I highly reccomend The Wolfen and The Wild.
odinn7

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2005, 02:27:21 PM »

Bell is a fraud.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2005, 02:33:27 PM »

This has been posted about before here. The alien scenes are not the point of the movie and in fact don't match Travis Walton's account of what happened.

It was actually filmed where the incident took place. I remember reading the story in Playboy back in the mid-70's.  I read about the movie while they were making and James Garner and others involved said that something definitely had happened to these people. Travis Walton had not had a telephone in his house since the incident happened because he constantly got calls from cranks.

This movie is really about what happened to everyone involved. I can't say that he was taken by aliens, but some folks had to go through a lot of hell for this to just be a hoax.

Travis Walton does appear among the crowd in the town meeting scene.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Fearless Freep

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2005, 02:37:55 PM »

I don't think Bell is a fraud himself per-se.  I hear a lot of his stuff and he mostly just gives a platform for people to speak their ideas and asks good questions to keep them going.  Listen to four or five shows though and he quickly get the idea that Bell probably doesn't beleive in any of it because the 'realiies' expressed on his show are so contridictory some times that he would've long been insane if he took them seriously

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
Alan Smithee
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2005, 11:28:35 PM »

"My cognative dissonance meter just red-lined again"

I assume that you (and perhaps Mernard) believe the Earth is flat?
Menard
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2005, 11:37:24 PM »

Alan Smithee wrote:

> I assume that you (and perhaps Menard) believe the Earth is flat?

I'll bother to reply to that when it actually makes sense.

BTW, I hope you do not mind that I corrected the spelling of my name.

odinn7

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2005, 07:49:07 AM »

Menard wrote:

> Alan Smithee wrote:
>  
> > I assume that you (and perhaps Menard) believe the Earth is
> flat?
>
>
> I'll bother to reply to that when it actually makes sense.
>
> BTW, I hope you do not mind that I corrected the spelling of my
> name.
>

Seriously...Because people don't believe Streiber and Bell that makes them stupid enough to think the world is flat? Where the Hell did that come from? It could be argued quite the opposite if you want to go that way.
I have no opinion on Streiber though if I had to come up with something, I would tend to think he believes it but only because of being put under hypnosis and being led as has been documented in many cases. I read his book but I could write some horrific things and make a book...doesn't mean it happened, doesn't mean it didn't. But Bell, simply put, he's a freak. I will give him the benefit of the doubt and say he doesn't know any better and as Freep said, he gives his listeners a platform. But to be honest here, go to his website and read it. Are you going to believe everything that's on there? Does he? If we don't, do we believe the world is flat? (I'm still trying to figure where that came from).

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Fire in the Sky « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.