Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:26:14 PM
714247 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  AFI's Top 100 Quotes « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: AFI's Top 100 Quotes  (Read 4696 times)
ulthar
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« on: June 22, 2005, 08:45:35 PM »

Did anyone else catch the Top 100 movie quotes last night on CBS?

Here's the list (and yes, the list is US centric):

http://www.afi.com/tvevents/100years/quotes.aspx#list

There's some good ones in the top 100, but I did find it interesting that the newest movies in the top 10 is 1977's Star Wars (May the Force be with You) and 1983's Sudden Impact (Go Ahead, Make My Day).

Post Edited (06-22-05 20:52)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
nobody
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2005, 09:03:32 PM »

These lists always start out the same. It doesn't get interesting until the standard "winners" are mentioned.

"Television is an invention that permits you to be entertained in your living room by people you wouldn't have in your home."  
(David Frost)
Jim H

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2005, 09:37:36 PM »

"Here's the list (and yes, the list is US centric):"

It's called the "American Film Institute".  In other words, only American films.
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2005, 10:50:21 PM »

Jim H wrote:

> It's called the "American Film Institute".  In other words,
> only American films.

Huh?  I would have thought that the American in AFI refered only to its location.  For example, I attended the University of North Carolina, but studied far more than just North Carolina.

That comment was added to head-off the many comments that often follow the posting of such lists with "only American films included."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Scottie
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2005, 11:23:01 PM »

No comment on AFI's locale, but regarding Top Gun, I'm more a fan of "Negative Ghost Rider, the pattern is full." That's my only interjection into this top 100.

___<br />Spongebob: What could be better than serving up smiles? <br />Squidward: Being Dead.
Vermin Boy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2005, 01:50:17 AM »

#72 makes it all worth it.

-Vermin Boy

My site: The Vermin Cave
My band: The Demons of Stupidity
?????: ?????
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2005, 08:27:08 AM »

Good to see the "Cinderella story..." quote get in there.  By far one of my favorite quotes of all time.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Master Blaster
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2005, 11:16:35 AM »

I'm sad to see "What is your major malfunction numnuts!?" did'nt make the list. Oh well.
Menard
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2005, 11:28:09 AM »

I think that some lines were over-rated. They played Gollum's " My Precious" to death and probably failed to realize that the majority of people who have quoted that line read it in the book. I think the line " What we have here..is failure to communicate" from COOL HAND LUKE should have been rated higher, Did anybody feel that "Plastics" from THE GRADUATE was over-rated?

raj

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2005, 12:20:45 PM »

I don't think the :plastics" line was overrated.  It captured a big part of the essence of its day:  those who wanted to go to work and live the American dream, plus those who rebelled against it.

PS I view American Film Institute to be an institution for American films, not a film institute located in America.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2005, 09:30:43 AM »

No, but I printed off the list of winners from the website.

I do see that none of the dialog from the reviews at this website made the list.

If you scroll down to the end of the list, you should find a list of the 300 nominess who did not make the cut. I find this more interesting then the winners, and I like them better, too. By 62% to 58% for the winners.

I will give them credit for one thing, unlike some lists, they do provide the criteria by which the winners were supposely chosen.

And if you join AFI, you may have a say in selecting next year's category of 100.

As for the rest . . .

"Plastics"
I think a better quote from the film would have been "Mrs. Robinson, you're trying to seduce me." If for no other reason, then it has to be one of the greatest understatements ever spoken in a film.

I do think one of the problems with the list is that it only honors American films. And we all know that some of the greatest dialog ever spoken in films was spoken in foreign films.

Of course, what is a foreign film? When the AFI chose the best 100 American films they chose "The Third Man." When the British did the same, choosing the best 100 British films, they chose "The Third Man." So, is "The Third Man" American? British? Or both?

Susan
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2005, 09:49:03 AM »

It's got classic charlton heston. I'm pleased. I'm a little suprised there are no Matrix quotes, that movie had a few good ones. (someone needs a b-movie or horror movie best quote list)

A few of my favorites in general:

CROCODILE DUNDEE-  "That's not a knife. THIS is a knife"

MCLINTOCK! -  "I haven't lost my temper in 40 years, but pilgrim, you caused a lot of trouble this morning that might have got somebody killed and somebody ought to belt you in the mouth. But I won't. I won't. The hell I won't."

MEN AT WORK - "There are several sacred things in this world that you don't EVER mess with. One of them happens to be another man's fries. Now, you remember that and you'll live a long and healthy life"

PULP FICTION - "That's when you know you've found somebody special. When you can just shut the f**k up for a minute and comfortably enjoy the silence. "

BETTER OFF DEAD "Gee, I'm real sorry your mom blew up, Ricky"

THE REF "You know what I'm going to get you next Christmas, Mom? A big wooden cross, so that every time you feel unappreciated for your sacrifices, you can climb on up and nail yourself to it. "

"GRISWALDS CHRISTMAS VACATION: "I want to look him straight in the eye and I want to tell him what a cheap, lying, no-good, rotten, four-flushing, low-life, snake-licking, dirt-eating, inbred, overstuffed, ignorant, blood-sucking, dog-kissing, brainless, dickless, hopeless, heartless, fat-ass, bug-eyed, stiff-legged, spotty-lipped, worm-headed sack of monkey s**t he is. Hallelujah......Holy s**t! Where's the Tylenol? "

how about "it rubs the lotion on it's skin or else it gets the hose again"? ;-)
And several quotes from the KENTUCKY FRIED MOVIE

Post Edited (06-25-05 17:02)
Menard
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2005, 11:03:09 AM »

"Plastics" and the "are you trying to seduce me" lines both made the list.

Georgie Boy
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2005, 10:03:18 AM »

I thought that "I don't think we're in Kansas anymore" probably should have been the number one quote.  This line has permeated our very existance.  You hear it in board meetings, coffee houses, universities, slums.....this line is everywhere and everyone knows what it means.  The cultural impact is immeasurable.
Just Plain Horse
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2005, 11:47:38 AM »

I don't wanna seem standoffish, but I found the whole concept of cutting a movie down to a line or catchphrase as a much better indicator of just what a short attention span, low IQ and general inability to develop as a competent human being such programs help to foster. A film was once an experience, open to interpretation, not a buffer between commercials.

Quote any film until you're blue in the face, and you'll only come off as being obsessed with using cliches to define your very self.  I'll get off the soap box now...

PS: The aforementioned Mclintock one was pretty good, though...
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  AFI's Top 100 Quotes « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.