Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 01:47:59 AM
714322 Posts in 53093 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  OT: A different perspective with regards to gas prices « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: OT: A different perspective with regards to gas prices  (Read 5255 times)
Alan Smithee
Bad Movie Lover

« on: June 24, 2005, 07:51:59 PM »

Where I live right now, gas is about $2.50 a gallon, tops.
How much does a 16 oz. bottle of Aquafina water cost? Something like .85-90 (cents)?

Compare a gallon of this filtered water (that's probably came from a neighboring state) to a gallon of gas (from oil shipped from overseas)that has been refined.

Good thing cars don't run on filtered water.
Menard
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2005, 08:13:38 PM »

I don't need that filtered water, but I do need gasoline. Besides, you can get a gallon of bottled water, which has been filtered by reverse osmosis, for about a buck.

Susan
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2005, 08:31:33 PM »

Two words: peak oil

Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2005, 08:55:58 PM »

My dad's always using this argument in conversations and I totally agree with him & you, gas is cheap compared to other liquid products.

I recently watched Modern Marvels on the History Channel and it was all about oil refineries.
One of the first things they said was how much of a bargain gas is considering all the expensive procedures crude oil has to go through to eventually become gasoline.

When it hits $5 plus in less than a year then I'll start worrying.
(hypothetically speaking)

Post Edited (06-24-05 20:57)
Scottie
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2005, 09:15:24 PM »

Oh it will. And we'll pay without a major complaint until it hits $4.00. Europe already pays twice what we pay now and they've adapted quite nicely. Now they just scoot around on motor scooters saying "ciao."

___<br />Spongebob: What could be better than serving up smiles? <br />Squidward: Being Dead.
Menard
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2005, 09:49:55 PM »

The average American travels more distance for work than the average European. When comparing apples to apples on European gas prices versus American gas prices, we still pay about the same, if not more. It is supply and demand; we use more, so we pay less per unit, but we use more units.

Neville

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2005, 05:58:56 AM »

Whenever I hear of americans conplaining of gas prices, I have to try hard to imagine the situation. In my country, gas now is about 1$ per liter, and I think other countries charge even more for it, like Italy. The reason is not fuel procesing costs, but taxes. Fuel is one of the main incomes of indirect taxes for the state, together with cigarrettes and alcohol. I guess fuel in the US is not that heavily taxed.

On the idea that you pay more in the long run because of biger distances, I disagree, because fuel consume is not directly linked to distances, but to engine and gearbox use. Therefore, if you take people driving the same ammount of hours in roads and cites, you'll notice that those driving inside cities, despite driving through less distance, have consumed much more fuel.

My suggestion? If you think you're paying too much for fuel, use european or japanese cars instead. It still amazes me how many americans drive those cars with enormous engines. In my country it is rare to see any car with an engine bigger than 2.500cc, and if you see it, either is a BMW/Mercedes/Porche, which means the owner can afford the fuel, or it is a diesel. Anything above that would be considered a waste of money and fuel in my country.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2005, 07:03:11 AM »

Not really a different perspective. It's the same counter-argument that always comes up when people complain about gas prices.

It's usually milk though. Bottled water isn't the greatest comparison, since I can always use inexpensive tapwater that generally tastes better than most brands of the bottled stuff anyway. In a pinch, I can get it from a stream or catch it when it falls from the sky. It's not a matter of buying Evian or going thirsty.

Of course, milk isn't the greatest example either, since about two litres of that will last a week at our house. I don't need to buy it by the tankfull. Alternately, I can drink the tapwater. And I can get to work without a carton of milk. Really, I don't need it at all.

Neither of these is in any way comparable to gasoline. They're all liquids, but that's about it. It's kind of like pointing to gold when somebody complains about the price of steel.

Anyway, thanks for the revelation.

Post Edited (06-25-05 10:25)

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
odinn7

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2005, 08:07:53 AM »

We had this argument on this board months ago and it's going to turn into the same thing here.

And as far as SUVs and all those big cars...I completely agree that this is an excess for those people but because they drive things like that, it's not my fault. I drive a Geo Metro that gets almost 40 mpg but I still spend a fortune in gas every month because of how far I need to go to get to work. I hate driving the toaster oven on wheels but I have little choice.

Post Edited (06-25-05 08:10)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2005, 09:14:25 PM »

Neville wrote:

>  I
> guess fuel in the US is not that heavily taxed.
>

Oh, but it is.  The fuel here is very heavily taxed.  And, there are like over 60 different formulations (different states, different times of the year, etc) that helps drive up the price.

If we all burned the same gas and there was tax relief of the product, here in the US we'd be paying about $.80 per gallon (USD).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
raj

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2005, 12:23:44 PM »

Not as heavily taxed as in Europe.  There a gallon might be $4-6 a gallon, with $3-4 dollars of that in taxes.  That's how they pay for their "free" health care.
Still, requirements for different formulations at different times of year and in different locations does help boost the price by a fair piece.

Of course demand has gone up tremendously in China and India.  That's probably reason #1 why gas prices have spiked lately.
Neville

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2005, 01:49:21 PM »

raj wrote: "Of course demand has gone up tremendously in China and India. That's probably reason #1 why gas prices have spiked lately."

Not to mention the US invasion of Irak and the subsequent unrest in the whole Middle East area...

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2005, 08:42:52 PM »

Neville wrote:

> My suggestion? If you think you're paying too much for fuel,
> use european or japanese cars instead.

Sales of Toyota and Honda vehicles here in America are at the top right now I believe.
Sales of those big GM and Ford vehicles have plummeted.  People are selling them off now to buy imports because they get better gas mileage.

Post Edited (06-26-05 20:43)
Lee
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2005, 08:58:23 PM »

Just be glad you don't live in Jamaica. A friend of mine went there on his honeymoon about three years ago. Gas was $24.95 a gallon! Also take into account that minimum wage is like $20 a week. Do we really have it that bad?

This is the Hell that's my life.-Howard Stern: Private Parts
Neville

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2005, 03:17:06 AM »

Lee wrote: "Just be glad you don't live in Jamaica. A friend of mine went there on his honeymoon about three years ago. Gas was $24.95 a gallon!"

I won't complain of gas cost anymore

I won't complain of gas cost anymore...

Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  OT: A different perspective with regards to gas prices « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.