Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:33:38 PM
713351 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Sonny Chiba Recommendations.... « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Sonny Chiba Recommendations....  (Read 4851 times)
daveblackeye15
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: June 25, 2005, 11:02:52 PM »

I'm heading out for about three weeks which means "time to watch those movies you've been meanin' to watch."

I rewatched Sonny Chiba's "The Street Fighter" and "Return of the Street Fighter"

Return is a pretty good sequal, some weak parts but the whole end fight is awesome!

The original is better and really violent. Today my "Sonny Chiba is #2 to Bruce Lee (the #1)" idea was renewed.

Chiba kicks ass. Do any of you have  recomendations?

Now it's time to sing the nation anthem IN AMERICA!!!

Bandit Keith from Yu-Gi-Oh the Abridged Series (episode 12)
Scottie
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2005, 11:20:02 PM »

I loooove Street Fighter. Seriously, any movie where there is an x-ray shot of someone's head being caved in by a punch has got to be the best movie in the world.

Did you know Sonny Chiba plays 'Space Chief' in the movie "Invasion of the Neptune Men" (1961) as featured on that hit television show, Mystery Science Theater 3000? The more you know...

___<br />Spongebob: What could be better than serving up smiles? <br />Squidward: Being Dead.
Master Blaster
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2005, 01:35:16 AM »

Besides the Street Fighter series (after part 2 they go down hill) the only other Chiba flick I've seen is the Bodygaurd and for the love of almighty god stay away from that one unless you have alot of alcohol at arms reach.

Hey Skaboi! You got any recomendations for dave?
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2005, 08:01:27 AM »

Master Blaster - How'd you know!?  lol

Dave, if you really wanna go on a Chiba binge then you should pick up the St. Claire Vision Martial Art's Master boxset.  I picked it up at WalMart earlier in the week for about 5.00! Here's a link:

http://www.littleman.com/movies/films/7/000215557.html

I already had a copy of Street Fighter on DVD, but this one has Street Fighter, Return Of Street Fighter, and Sister Street Fighter all on one disc!  It also has a disc with a few Bruce Lee flicks (The Real Bruce Lee, Fists Of Fury, etc).  The third disc contained what was a real gem for me: Shogun's Ninja.  Great flick starring Sonny Chiba as a complete badass, and what looks to be the first emergence of Hatori Hanzo in Japanese cinema.

It also has Ninja Wars which has Chiba and a flick called Rage Of The Master which I have yet to watch.  So, out of 9 films, five of them have Sonny Chiba.

Also, you might want to try hunting down a few of Chiba's better known flicks like Samurai Reincarnation (great flick!), Legend Of The Eight Samurai, Shogun's Shadow, The Bodyguard, Killing Machine, or the b-classic Message From Space.

It's good to know that you've taken an interest in Chiba, Dave.  Despite Lee's popularity, I find Chiba much more entertaining.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
daveblackeye15

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2005, 11:38:35 AM »

Thanks, I'll try and find some of those. Any more recoomendations anyone? Is it more or do they not make movies that are gritty or savage as Street Fighter anymore?

Post Edited (06-26-05 12:01)

Now it's time to sing the nation anthem IN AMERICA!!!

Bandit Keith from Yu-Gi-Oh the Abridged Series (episode 12)
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2005, 12:56:19 PM »

It's not really a Sonny Chiba vehicle, and it's not as gritty as STREET FIGHTER, but I would recommend The Stormriders.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Scottie
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2005, 02:48:24 PM »

If you want to see a dumb little movie featuring a modern military arsenal in feudal Japan, watch "G.I. Samurai" (1979). A little long winded and completely devoid of all laws of physics, it's still Sonny Chiba.

___<br />Spongebob: What could be better than serving up smiles? <br />Squidward: Being Dead.
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2005, 07:43:50 PM »

Dave,

I mentioned this flick in the previous post.  Just wanted to let you know that it was directed by Kinji Fukasaku - same director as Battle Royale.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Yaddo 42

Where's that brick.......

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2005, 01:37:06 PM »

I'd say watch "The Bodyguard" for the unintentional laughs. I love how the Japanese wing of the Mafia goes around carving their old "secret" name "Cosa Nostra" on people's bodies (including Chiba's sister) as intimidation. Plus the shot in America and grafted on footage of the two martial artists in Times Square demonstrating Chiba vs. Bruce Lee fighting styles until they mention whan Chiba is supposed to be doing so then the scene cuts to the real film. Let's not forget, the bible verse intro with "Chiba the Bodyguard" subbing for "the Lord".

If you can find it, "Terror Beneath the Sea" might be worth a look, from when he was Shinichi rather than "Sonny". The story and effects are what you'd expect from a b-movie of the time. Think old "Dr. Who" episode meets Saturday Afternoon Creature Feature.

Best Buy was selling a Chiba 3-pack with "The Bodyguard", "Golgo 13" (which I hear isn't that good), and "Bullet Train" (the 'inspiration' for "Speed" and supposedly a good thriller but not big on action) a while back.

There's always stuff from his heyday like "Shogun's Samurai", and lesser costarring roles in Western films like "Iron Eagle III" and whatever that flick with Ice-T and Alyssa Milano is where he's killing mobsters.

blah blah stuff blah blah obscure pop culture reference blah blah clever turn of phrase blah blah bad pun blah blah bad link blah blah zzzz.....
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Sonny Chiba Recommendations.... « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.