Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:58:47 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  An All-Star Cast, a $60 Mill Budget and a 3 Hour Runtime... for Uwe Boll « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: An All-Star Cast, a $60 Mill Budget and a 3 Hour Runtime... for Uwe Boll  (Read 18673 times)
Menard
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2005, 01:05:16 PM »

Uh, is it possible to be an insult to bad movies?

Foywonder
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2005, 05:09:23 PM »

"To be honest you almost sound like a 'Boll troll' with your support of this guy."

No. I used to be one of the constant Boll bashers myself at one time.  I just think the endless cycle of hatred for the guy has gone so ridiculously over the top that I'm now rooting for him to make a good film just so everyone that keeps ragging on him endlessly gets left speechless. And if he doesn't and continues to make bad movies, that's fine too, since I'm a fan of bad movies. Either way, it's fine with me.

"I have to say Boll is an insult to bad movies everywhere."

As opposed to Al Adamson or Jerry Warren? Sorry, but Boll isn't even the worst of the worst.

And these constant comparisons to Edward D. Wood Jr. have got to stop. It's the wrong comparison. The guy is too technically proficient to warrant comparisons to Wood. Uwe Boll is the MTV version of Bruno Mattei.

NOW SHOWING IN FOYEURISM:
GOLDEN BAT - Feast your eyes on the wildest, wackiest, funkiest, Chiba-est Japanese superhero movie you've probably never heard of
B-WARE THE BLOG! - My blog devoted to the schlocktastic!
Dunners
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2005, 11:48:37 PM »

Three words Menard, House of the dead.

K, I understand where yer coming from Foy. I actually try to stay away from comparring Boll to Wood because yes Boll gets budgets for his films, However Wood had his own ideas and managed to be a pretty ok story teller.

My main issue with Boll however is that he goes out of his way to rip off other films.
It drive sme insane to see him re-using the matrix crap among other things.

Did you ever read that SA article about the screenwriter for Alone in the darks original script?

Theres so much insight into whats wrong with this man.

I'm soon to be an independent film maker myself(3 weeks to go, hopefully I can finish Casting and s**t) and it just disgusts me that this cluster f**k ha smanaged to suceed by ripping off other films.

save the world, kill a politician or two.
Foywonder
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2005, 11:58:27 PM »

"However Wood had his own ideas and managed to be a pretty ok story teller."

Well, he had his own ideas. I think calling Ed Wood an okay storyteller is laughable though.

"My main issue with Boll however is that he goes out of his way to rip off other films.
It drive sme insane to see him re-using the matrix crap among other things."

While that's a perfectly valid criticism, it also applies to lord knows how many other filmmakers these days. How many action films of the past few years haven't blatantly stolen from THE MATRIX?

"Did you ever read that SA article about the screenwriter for Alone in the darks original script?"

Absolutely. It was hysterical. And add to it the fact that the reason he made BLOODRAYNE a 17th/18th century prequel instead of having her fighting Nazis like in the game is because the German investors would've frowned on it. Germans are rather sensitive about the whole Nazi past, even if it deals with a silly action movie based on a video game. That begs the question of why even bother with a Bloodrayne film in the first place.

From my interview with Boll and everything I've read, the idea I get as to where he keeps going wrong is that he's one of those people that gets an idea in his head and nobody can talk him out of it once he's set on it regardless of how bad an idea it actually is.

GOLDEN BAT - Feast your eyes on the wildest, wackiest, funkiest, Chiba-est Japanese superhero movie you've probably never heard of
Fearless Freep
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2005, 10:14:11 AM »

My main issue with Boll however is that he goes out of his way to rip off other films.
It drive sme insane to see him re-using the matrix crap among other things.

You must not watch very many B-Movies....?

Post Edited (07-06-05 10:37)

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
Dunners
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2005, 01:15:08 PM »

Dont watch many B movies..Blashphemer!
*slaps freep in the face with a glove* this means war!

Sorry FF, but Boll does this more than any other director I've seen.
Least most of the other jack offs who chose to rip off the matrix have stopped, Boll is still doing it though.

I'm expecting Dungeon Seige will most like rip off as much of LOTR as it can while tossing in the matrix for the fight scenes.

I dunno I dont see Boll as an underdog though.
An underdog is someone who's fighting agains all the odds and you want to suceed.

Boll doesnt have to worry about budget, casting, editing, special effects or marketing.

He's already got all this s**t taken care of, the only thing he doesnt have is a large fan base cheering him on.

He's not really an underdog, hes more of a brattly little kid with a big budget and a camera.

Menard
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2005, 01:21:35 PM »

Dunners wrote:

>  *slaps freep in the face with a glove*

Be careful; FF likes that kind of thing. (:

Menard
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2005, 01:23:31 PM »

Dunners wrote:

> Three words Menard, House of the dead.

LOL (:

Fearless Freep

« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2005, 01:30:47 PM »

He he

Sorry FF, but Boll does this more than any other director I've seen.

You seen Roger Corman's resume? :)
Or Charles Band for that matter?

Both manage to be creative occasionally, and rather entertaining, but a lot of their stuff is just ripoffs of other ideas, sometimes even thier own.

But after watching who knows how many Aliens and Mad Max (thank you Italians) and Conan (more thanks to the Italians) ripoffs, I guess to me it's no big deal if they were directed by one person or many.  All I care about is that I was mildy entertained or at least distracted for an hour and a half or so.

As long as he makes more money then he spends, *someone* is going to keep paying him to make money.  If that's happening, then at least someone is enjoying what he is doing.  That's worthwhile in it's own right

There are actors whom I don't care for.  *shrug*  Then I don't watch stuff with them in it, but I don't let it bother me enough to care.  They don't know me so they probably don't care if I like them or not, because obviously enough people do or the wouldn't have jobs.

Look at the bright side, directors like Boll show where the bottom of the pool is, which should be encouraging for anyone who wants to get in :)

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2005, 02:12:07 PM »

I'm with Freep.  I don't care what flicks this guy rips off - if I'm entertained for the hour and a half, then I have gotten my money's worth.

I can honestly say that Boll is by far not the worst director I've ever seen.  There are numerous other films out there that I would choose a Boll film instead of.  Take "The Blair Witch Project".  Today, I see it for what it was, which was a successful experiment.  But, when my wife (then g/f) and I saw it at the theater, I was furious at the film.  It was dull, not entertaining and all around sucked.

I've never had that type of feeling when watching a Boll film.  House Of The Dead, despite dealing nothing with the base subject of the game, was actually entertaning as hell.  Jurgen Prochnow(sp?) as a crazed captain, Clint Howard as his 'igor' assistant and axe wielding marathon running springboard jumping zombies!  

And what about Alone In The Dark?  A washed up Christian Slater as a paranormal detective, and Tara Reid as a well educated museum worker.  And how about the fact that nobody in the film is ever ALONE IN THE DARK!?  That's pure genius in itself.

I say give Boll more projects and I'll sit through all of them with a smile on my face.  The guy is an idiot, and doesn't have much talent when it comes to film...but dammit...I love the guy.  You have to consider that he actually thinks his films are Art.  Art..........................

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Master Blaster
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2005, 02:22:05 PM »

I think that's pretty much what it's all about. Just mindless entertainment. Almost every film reviewed on this site is done by an incompetent director who's out to make a buck. It's just base exploitation and that’s what makes it fun.
odinn7

« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2005, 02:24:23 PM »

Dunners wrote:

> Three words Menard, House of the dead.

Uh...not to be picky but that's 4 words.

Skaboi wrote:

>You have to consider that he actually thinks his films are Art. Art..........................

I couldn't agree more. I like his stuff...it's funny but when you consider the statement above, it's even funnier.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
Dunners
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2005, 03:51:10 PM »

Oops ya got me Odinn.

2xSlick
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2005, 08:39:22 PM »

WOW. This is like a dream come true. I saw  House of the Dead bootleged so I wouldn't fell guilty about seeing it. Then I took my friends to see Alone in the Dark. I guess now I'll have to camp outside the theatre to see his epic masterpiece!

*Note the previous statements did NOT contain SARCASM.*

To the three people in the world that bought HOTD on  DVD, does Boll do a commentary track? If so, I'll buy the dang thing tomorrow after class.

http://www.youtube.com/user/2xslickvs -For the worst in video game and movie reviews, mostly dealing with zombies.
Foywonder
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2005, 10:58:01 PM »

"To the three people in the world that bought HOTD on DVD, does Boll do a commentary track? If so, I'll buy the dang thing tomorrow after class."

Yes, he does, but it isn't very good. The other audio commentary track is better with screenwriter/producer Mark Altman ever so diplomatically laying all the blame for the movie's problems squarely at Boll's feet. Case in point, the time and money it took them to construct that little walkway over the pond that a couple zombies pop of made it impossible to film the scenes featuring the freaking backstory explaining the villain's motivations.

Boll's audio commentary track on ALONE IN THE DARK is better since he tries desperately in vain to explain away the film's constant stream of illogic.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  An All-Star Cast, a $60 Mill Budget and a 3 Hour Runtime... for Uwe Boll « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.