Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 11:05:25 PM
714321 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  OT: RIP ADM James B. Stockdale « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: OT: RIP ADM James B. Stockdale  (Read 1723 times)
trekgeezer
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

We're all just victims of circumstance

« on: July 06, 2005, 01:27:25 PM »

A great American hero has died. James Stockdale won the Congressional Medal of Honor for his inspirational leadership and personal sacrifices as the senior POW officer in Hanoi during the Viet Nam war.

He spent seven and a half years as a POW , four of those years were in solitary confinement in total darkness, and two were spent in leg irons. He was constantly in trouble for his resistance while in prison. He would purposely disfigure himself so that he could not be used for propaganda  and slit his wrists once to show that he would rather die than give in to his captors. Stockdale was an inspiration to the other POW's, leading hunger strikes and such to get them better treatment.

I remember how shameful it was when he ran with Ross Perot in the Presidential election in 1992 and because of his poor performance in the Vice Presidential debates he was ridiculed and made fun of. He had learned less than a week before hand that his would be participating.

Vice Admiral James B. Stockdale held 26 combat decorations, which included two Purple Hearts, two Distinguished Flying Crosses, three Distinguished Service Medals, four Silver Star Medals, and the Congressional Medal of Honor. He is the only three or four star officer in history of the U.S. Navy to wear both aviator wings and the Congressional Medal of Honor.

When he retired in 1979 the Secretary of the Navy created the Vice Admiral James Stockdale Award for Inspirational Leadership. Two awards are given each year, one in the Pacific Fleet and one in the Atlantic.

We in the US just celebrated Independence Day and we should remember that guys like James Stockdale are the reason we're still free 209 years after the first one.

Here is his Medal of Honor citation (just reading it is inspirational):

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepdity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty while senior naval officer in the Prisoner of War camps of North Vietnam. Recognized by his captors as the leader in the Prisoner' of War resistance to interrogation and in their refusal to participate in propaganda exploitation, rear Admiral Stockdale was singled out for interrogation and attendant torture after he was detected in a covert communications attempt. Sensing the start of another purge, and aware that his earlier efforts at self disfiguration to dissuade his captors from exploiting him for propaganda purposes had resulted in cruel and agonizing punishment, Rear Admiral Stockdale resolved to make himself a symbol of resistance regardless of personal sacrifice. He deliberately inflicted a near mortal wound to his person in order to convince his captors of his willingness to give up his life rather than capitulate. He was subsequently discovered and revived by the North Vietnamese who, convinced of his indomitable spirit, abated in their employment of excessive harassment and torture toward all Prisoners of War. By his heroic action, at great peril to himself, he earned the everlasting gratitude of his fellow prisoners and of this country. Rear Admiral Stockdale's valiant leadership and extraordinary courage in a hostile environment sustain and enhance the finest traditions of the U.S. Naval Service

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
odinn7

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2005, 02:50:58 PM »

A greater man than I could ever hope to be.

RIP

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
akiratubo

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2005, 04:14:47 PM »

*salutes*

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
Foywonder
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2005, 10:58:44 PM »

"GRIDLOCK!!!"[/i]

NOW SHOWING IN FOYEURISM:
GOLDEN BAT - Feast your eyes on the wildest, wackiest, funkiest, Chiba-est Japanese superhero movie you've probably never heard of
B-WARE THE BLOG! - My blog devoted to the schlocktastic!
trekgeezer

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2005, 07:29:38 AM »

?????????????

Flangepart

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2005, 04:54:40 PM »

Hummm...maby Foy is haveing a "Montclair moment."
I did not know this about the man.
Sad....to do so much, and , who knew?

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
Yaddo 42

Where's that brick.......

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2005, 12:39:47 PM »

It was a shame that what was intended as a tension breaking joke for the Vice Presidental debate ("Who am I, and what the hell am I doing here?") got used against him to claim he was mentally unfit. That's one thing I give Dennis Miller credit for, he has said repeated that he and plenty of others owed Stockdale an apology for beating up on the man for that.

But wasn't his selection as VP candidate in addition to being last minute intended as a temporary choice? I seem to remember an excerpt from Ed Rollins' book that said Perot and Co. had intended to substitute someone later on if they could.

Some how I missed this in the news. Stockdale's gone and not long ago Col. David Hackworth, the military affairs writer and commenator, died also; and that news kind of few under the radar as well. A damn shame to lose both men and get so little notice.

blah blah stuff blah blah obscure pop culture reference blah blah clever turn of phrase blah blah bad pun blah blah bad link blah blah zzzz.....
trekgeezer

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2005, 01:00:12 PM »

I think the selection was made rather quickly. I do know that Stockdale had less than a week to prepare for the debate and he was not used to being in the glare of the public eye.

It's a shame the way perceptions are these days. Good people shun public office because the press is merciless at trying to find some negative thing they can latch onto and drag you down.

odinn7

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2005, 02:45:49 PM »

The Military Channel did a show on Stockdale last night. Unfortunately, I only caught part of it.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  OT: RIP ADM James B. Stockdale « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.