Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 09:57:35 PM
714225 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7734 Members
Latest Member: BlackVuemmo
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Joy Ride « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Joy Ride  (Read 1731 times)
ulthar
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« on: July 08, 2005, 10:25:07 PM »

Just watched Joy Ride.  I know I'm not the first to say this, but the first half was pretty good; the second half should have never been shot.

The premise of the flick was a bit weak to me, I have to admit. But I can accept it for face value and go from there; no biggie.

The first motel scene, the one with the two guys in the room listening, I think was wonderfully shot and directed.  That scene built some excellent suspense. If the entire movie was like that one, this would be a powerful never-forgetter.

In the end, though, it did try too hard to be The Hitcher, but adding clairvoyance to the bad guy's tallents.  The Hitcher was relentless where this one was just dumb.

If you have not seen Joy Ride, watch the first hour and turn it off.  You will remember it in better light that way.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Jim H

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2005, 11:36:37 PM »

You might try looking at the alternate endings on the DVD sometime.  There are 4, one of which is an entirely different second half.
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2005, 12:17:56 AM »

I liked this one.

The only complaint I had was that they used Ted Levine's voice but didn't cast him in the physical role as Rusty Nail.
Some other guy played him.
That never made any sense to me.

Post Edited (07-09-05 00:18)
Jim H

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2005, 12:40:46 AM »

"The only complaint I had was that they used Ted Levine's voice but didn't cast him in the physical role as Rusty Nail.
Some other guy played him.
That never made any sense to me."

They wanted someone with an awesome voice, and the right look.  Sometimes they don't go together.
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2005, 07:20:27 AM »

I didn't care for this one much at all.  I first watched it when it originally came out on DVD and was disappointed.  As ulthar said, the first half is decent, but by the end the viewer is contemplating suicide.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Neville

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2005, 01:33:27 PM »

It is actually an OK film, but director John Dahl  looked like fish out of water this time, like in the previous "Unforgetable". The film is much better directed than most slasher films out there (just look at the wonderful scope compositions when neon lights are involved, like when the two brothers open the trunk to find the radio or when they are in a motel), but the script is ultimately too simplistic. Certainly the film works better when Dahl is allowed to play with suspense and the relationship within the trio of teenagers than in the final part, where everything seems too forced.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
Yaddo 42

Where's that brick.......

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2005, 01:09:48 PM »

Dahl is good at modern noir (The Last Temptation, Red Rock West), rather than horror. I saw this on cable, and agree that the build up was better than the payoff. Are the alternate endings that much better? Other than for marketing, makes you wonder why they didn't use one of them instead.

blah blah stuff blah blah obscure pop culture reference blah blah clever turn of phrase blah blah bad pun blah blah bad link blah blah zzzz.....
Jim H

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2005, 04:23:00 AM »

I think the ending in the film is the best one (though I do like one ending which has a direct confrontation between the lead and the trucker, and the trucker attempts to rip his jaw out - ouch).

Joy Ride is a pretty good film, me thinks, though I do agree the ending is considerably weaker than the first half.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Joy Ride « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.