Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:09:51 AM
713326 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  WOTW Spoiler « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: WOTW Spoiler  (Read 6009 times)
dean
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2005, 07:04:53 AM »

>>>and I suppose a few more clues to the purpose of the red weed wouldn't have hurt either.

Well from memory the red weed was an explanation for the reason why Mars was red.  The red weed wasn't harvested, like in this one, but just, I guess, a cling on from the invaders much like rats.

Also, in the musical version, and I can't remember, but am assuming was in the book, the aliens didn't harvest the humans for the red weed, but actually injected the blood of humans into their own viens.

>>>>And Spielberg has a tendency to weaken powerful, tragic stories with happy, sentimental endings that don't fit.

Well he wouldn't want to stop being too predictable now would he?  He has pretty much a winning formula, so why should he mix things up a bit?

I mostly agree with AndyC, suspense was great, but overall a more downbeat ending along with a less ridiculous attack plan and this film would have been pretty much perfect for me.  But I actually like not knowing everything that is going on, like the purpose of the red weed.  We weren't meant to understand the alien's intentions other than the fact we were pretty much flys that needed swatting.

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
onionhead
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2005, 09:49:05 AM »

LOOOOOOOOOOTS of stinky reviews on IMDB.

Some people like cupcakes better--I for one care less for them
Susan
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2005, 12:10:53 PM »

btw didn't someone post a thread about how this movie wasn't going to have all the typical cliches? What happened to that? The ending is the biggest movie cliche of all time. Hugs, kisses, everyone is ok ..."dad! I love you dad" Look it's grandma and grandpa and mom is ok! the aliens didn't bomb boston, they only wanted to harvest the rednecks!

[dry heaves]

The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2005, 11:44:18 AM »

I thought this movie was EXCELLENT . . . right up until Cruise grabbed the grenades.  Then I said, "Why, oh, why, must you torture me, Mr. Spielberg?"  (I didn't really say that, but I'm using some poetic license here).  The end, with the family emerging from the doorway and everyone embracing made me think I had stumbled into a Waltons reunion.  Goodnight, Jim Bob . . .

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2005, 12:35:50 PM »

The Burgomaster wrote:
> I thought this movie was EXCELLENT . . . right up until Cruise
> grabbed the grenades.  Then I said, "Why, oh, why, must you
> torture me, Mr. Spielberg?"

Oh well, in 20 years, he'll replace the grenades, and all the other weapons, with something harmless. Tripods will wave gigantic walkie talkies around as people flee for their lives.

Post Edited (07-14-05 12:36)

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Texdar
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2005, 01:21:22 PM »

I was kinda hoping that if (and they did) show the aliens they would all be ET.  How creepy would that have been?

I bent my wookie!
Susan
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2005, 05:07:56 PM »

Right, ET wanted to phone home with the spill and spell so he could give his coordinates so the attack could begin. Remember when he told the boy "be good"?

Yeah...be good or ELSE

Zapranoth
Eye of Sauron and

« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2005, 12:11:59 AM »

Overall I was pleased with the movie.  I had the same initial reaction about the germs ("what, they can't do research?") but then I just figured what had been said -- they didn't know what germs are, anymore than a cow knows what fission is.  Just not part of their experience at this point, so they were screwed.  

That's a lot more satisfying than ID4, in my mind.  Not perfect, no.  And not Will Smith, "Welcome to Earth!  *thwock!*" satisfying, but much better storytelling.  

It was doomed, as a film, to flounder in this particular forum setting because it isn't good enough to be great, and not bad enough to be bad.
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  WOTW Spoiler « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.