Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:54:25 PM
713363 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Under the radar action movies « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: Under the radar action movies  (Read 19540 times)
Yaddo 42
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Where's that brick.......

« Reply #45 on: July 22, 2005, 11:51:01 AM »

"Nighthawks" is actually pretty good, I hate that it gets mocked if it's remembered at all outside b-movie circles. But I loathe the Keith Emerson score, and I'm even an ELP fan. It dates the film even worse than the clothes and music.

"Ostermann Weekend" I hated since it wastes a great cast on a muddled plot, and can't decide if it's serious or a dark comedy (mostly Craig T. Nelson's later dialogue). But I hated the book as well. I'd rather sit through a two hour loop of the two Julian Lennon videos Peckinpah directed after this than watch it again. But if you liked it Dolph, have you seen Peckinpah's "Cross of Iron" or "The Killer Elite"? They might be up your alley.

"The Park is Mine" only interested me to see Tommy Lee Jones in a career doldrum. It's not really an action picture but I always like "Black Moon Rising" better.

"The Driver" has great car chases but tries to be an action movie verison of a European existenial flick. But damn Isabelle Adjani was beautiful, almost worth sitting through this one again just for her.

Fist of the North Star I saw the live action version before I saw the anime (but I was aware it was a remake) so I had nothing to compare it to. Mostly harmless and cheesy, I've seen far worse. But Downtown Julie Brown as a tough broad, even my imagination wouldn't buy that one. She was just too damn cute for it to work.

A Breed Apart is one of those films that has always been on my "next time I see it, I' buy/rent it" list. Somehow I've never seen it. One of those films where I'd see it on the shelf everytime but always but it off.

blah blah stuff blah blah obscure pop culture reference blah blah clever turn of phrase blah blah bad pun blah blah bad link blah blah zzzz.....
Dolph Lundgren
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #46 on: July 22, 2005, 03:32:05 PM »

Yaddo,

Can't disagree with you on Nighthawks, right down to the score.  

I see what you're saying about Ostermann Weekend, although I haven't read the book.  It's one you either like or don't like.  I've seen some of the Killer Elite (I need to watch the rest of it) and, for some reason, haven't gotten around to seeing Cross of Iron.  I want to though, for sure.

The Park is Mine was an interesting choice for Jones.  How well known was he before he did the movie?

As for Fist of the North Star, I think you did yourself a favor watching the live action before the anime.  That sounds weird, but a lot of people I've talked to despise the live action because they compare it to the anime.  Since you didn't have anything to compare to, it's probably why you didn't hate the flick.  I didn't hate it either, but then again, I can see why hardcore fans would be upset.

I'm with you on A Breed Apart.  I need to see it though, as I'm sure I'll end up enjoying it, only to ask myself, "why didn't I see this sooner?"

Just a small update today, as I've sadly not seen too many action movies lately:

Dead to Rights – starring Charles Bronson.  This movie pained me in a number of ways.  Charles Bronson is like a god to me.  Even if a movie he’s in isn’t so good, he usually makes it worth watching.  Not this time.  This movie is so by-the-numbers that it plays out like a collection of everything you’ve ever seen before in a typical cop drama.  With a name like Dead to Rights, and the presence of Charles Bronson, and an R rating, I was under the assumption that we might get some nice action.  NO.  Absolutely nothing happens within the first half our, and when the “action” finally does come, it consists of some hoodlum shooting a lady in slow motion, no squibs or anything.  Then back to more drama.  Honestly I see absolutely no reason why this should’ve been anything over PG-13, if that.  The story consists of some crazy guy running around killing nuns.  It’s up to Bronson and his daughter, a Sergeant and Lieutenant respectively, to track the guy down.  The only problem is that Bronson and his daughter don’t get along.  Add the fact that she’s in charge of him, despite being his daughter, and you’re primed for tension and drama.  Yawn.  Poor Charles looks so old and tired in this movie; he gives it his best, but with the script he had to work with, there wasn’t much he could do.  This movie has made-for-TV written all over it (I think it was a TV movie, actually).  I hate to even review it under the under the radar action movie category, because the action in this is very few and far between and is very bland.  But for as many movies as I’ve recommended, I’m also doing by best to steer people clear of movies that might’ve caught interest.  Don’t let the fact that Charles Bronson is in this one fool you – stay away.
Yaddo 42
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Where's that brick.......

« Reply #47 on: July 26, 2005, 08:24:56 AM »

TL Jones was not a big star at the time of "The Park is Mine", but a respected serious actor. He had gotten some notice in film roles for "The Eyes of Laura Mars" and a few other things. He got major attention playing Loretta Lynn's husband in "Coal Miner's Daughter" and was acclaimed for his acting in "The Executioner's Song", the TV movie about serial killer Gary Gilmore. The TV movie got a theatrical release in Europe, which helped draw attention to him. but between those two films and "Lonesome Dove" his career was pretty flat.

Is "Dead to Rights" the TV Movie "Family of Cops" under a different name or is it a sequel? I saw FOC on TV and remember thinking it was time for Bronson to move into character roles if he was going to keep acting, which he didn't for much longer. He had a good small role in Sean Penn's "The Indian Runner", I wish he had been able to do more stuff like that before his health and the Alzheimer's he was supposed to be suffering from in his last years forced him to give it up.

blah blah stuff blah blah obscure pop culture reference blah blah clever turn of phrase blah blah bad pun blah blah bad link blah blah zzzz.....
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Under the radar action movies « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: osmosis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.