Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:07:06 PM
713358 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Island in the Sky (1953) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Island in the Sky (1953)  (Read 958 times)
trekgeezer
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

We're all just victims of circumstance

« on: July 28, 2005, 08:09:57 PM »

Island in the Sky (1953)   Directed by William Wellman(The Oxbow Incident, The Story of G.I. Joe, Battleground, The High and the Mighty)

Transport plane pilot Dooley (John Wayne) must keep his crew alive after they crash in the vast, snowy, and uncharted  wilderness of Labrador.  They must battle sub zero temps and hunger as their comrades try to locate them before it;'s too late.

If you're not aware, this movie and Wellman's other 'plane in trouble' movie (The High and the Mighty) starring John Wayne  haven't been on TV for over 20 years. AMC has been running them this month and I caught Island a couple of weekends ago (though I had to watch it in two sittings because a thunderstorm took out the satellite signal the first night). I want to watch The High and the Mighty, but it galls me that AMC makes it last three hours.

Anyway, this is an excellent survival movie that also takes a lot of time telling the story of the rescuers problems with their search. The area is nothing but snow and trees that all looks the same,  their proximity to the pole keeps the compasses from being reliable, and they must battle elements like frozen fog and blizzards.

The other air crews are a who's who of old western actors. Andy Devine, Loyd Nolan, James Arness, Bob Steele, Paul Fix, and Harry Carey Jr.  Keep a lookout for  Mike "Mannix" Connors and  a grown up Carl Switzer (Alfalfa from The Little Rascals). He also appears in The High and the Mighty.

This is a must for John Wayne fans.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2005, 09:48:51 PM »

Sounds like a great one Trek-Geezer. I'll keep it a watch out for it on AMC.

I'm sure it's better than that MESA OF LOST WOMEN. : )

Flangepart

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2005, 11:58:17 AM »

I liked it.
It did have the "Violins for sadness" kind of music, but thats typical for the time period.
The camraderie of the other flyers was infectious, and i wonder...is this the film, where the Duke got to meet James Arness, and like the kid so much, he reccomended him for the lead in "Gunsmoke?"

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
Yaddo 42

Where's that brick.......

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2005, 10:12:18 AM »

They co-starred earlier in "Big Jim McClain" (1952) as federal agents working for HUAC beating up on dirty commies in Hawaii. So unless IITS was shot before that film guess not.

blah blah stuff blah blah obscure pop culture reference blah blah clever turn of phrase blah blah bad pun blah blah bad link blah blah zzzz.....
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2005, 11:28:44 AM »

As a fan of John Wayne, this film is a must see for me, as it is one of the few Wayne films I have yet to see. It is also apparently available on dvd and/or video.

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Island in the Sky (1953) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.