Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:12:33 AM
714234 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  "This Darkness" « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: "This Darkness"  (Read 1367 times)
Fearless Freep
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: August 09, 2005, 01:35:35 PM »

This Darkness comes to you from the fine folks at Brain Damage Films, and if you've seen anything by them, you know what to expect.  Ultra-low budget horror movies with a fair amount of gore, usually some vampires...and not a lot of real talent.   They do seem to have fun, though, and stay within their limits (both budgetry and skill) so to a B-Movie fan it's hard to really dislike them.

Word of warning, it's always a good sign to be wary of any production where someone's wearing multiple hats.  "Written & Directed" or "Produced and Directed"...guess it cluds the objectivity or something.  But when *any* of the above is also an actor in the movie...especially the star...then you really need to watch out.  In this case, the main protagonist, the writer, and the director are all the same person.

The basic plot is simple, a biologist/professor at a university has been working on a "Vampire Virus" that would grant effective immortality to someone infected.  A real vampire shows up and wants him to infect a bride for him...someone to live forever with him.  The professor pretends to play along, only to double cross the vampire.

The story itself is a bis disconnected. I get the feeling that the writer was writing linearly without thinking ahead to how it would all fit together.  Why the vampire chose who he did for his bride is, I don't think, explained, other than to save money by having one character/actress around for more scenes and thus the character was used for that role.  The dojo/martial arts stuff didn't really contribute and I guess the producers knew someone who would work for cheap and they thought it would add some action interest and padding.  A few scenes seemed to be only there to up the gore quantity as they don't really fill a need in the story and actually add to the confusion of "what's going on?"

So, in a way it was some fun; it kept moving, although not really in any sensical or cohesive direction.  If you like really, really low budget vampire movies, its not bad.

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
onionhead
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2005, 06:24:46 PM »

Interesting in that IMDB has only one review for this and it is bad.

Some people like cupcakes better--I for one care less for them
Fearless Freep
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2005, 09:31:49 AM »

Well, it wasn't a very good movie.  I mean, it was really cheap, the production wasn't that good...looked like it was filmed on video with poor lighting.  The acting was pretty bad, the plot was not very logical and much of the writing just didn't make sense or hang together in any cohesive sense.  Make no mistake, it was a pretty bad movie.

On the other hand, it kept moving, had vampries, had gore, had heavy metal rock music, and while the story didn't really hang together, at least they kept it workable within their budget.

This is why I rarely say a movie is "bad, don't bother", because I rarely care if a movie is 'bad' or not, just that it kept me entertained or at least mildly amused for the ninety minutes or so.  More importantly, what I find stupid may be what someone else really likes.  So rather than say "this movie sucks" I usually just try to say "this movie had terrible acting but vampires and swords" because...some people get into that :)

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  "This Darkness" « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.