Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 03:52:15 PM
714160 Posts in 53091 Topics by 7732 Members
Latest Member: Larryfiste
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Other boards « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Other boards  (Read 3923 times)
onionhead
Bad Movie Lover

« on: August 17, 2005, 06:06:43 PM »

From time to time we here on the Badmovies board get off topic and lay into one another, but for the most part this forum is a polite way to pass along info, comments, share a common interest.  The bad seeds are weeded out, there are police among us who keep us in line, and I think the whole website is the better for it.
I have just returned from IMDB.com.  Holy crap.  I will never post there again.  Some time ago I replied to a post and was trounced by 5-6 other folk, and not good naturedly.  The replies are generally hostile, peppered with uncensored obscenities; the phrase "f****ng idiot" pops up repeatedly.  Blood flies, spit is spat, furniture goes all over the place.  If any of those people were left alone physically in a room together, you'd have to call the cops.  'Tis a silly place.  
Kudos to Andrew and the gang for keeping it nice here.

Some people like cupcakes better--I for one care less for them
Menard
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2005, 09:07:24 PM »

I would have to agree with you. I have been on several boards as a member and have not generally run into agressive mods so much as other members who either want to be cruel or push other members away.

This actually happened on a board where I was a mod and had built the board up from its start. I had place a post in the off-topic section which garnered quite a response due to Google picking up on it and bringing new people to the board. A few regular members did not like this and first tried to abandon the board leaving me to rebuild (they both did not want to share 'their board' and felt that 'these people' were not right for the board). I truly discovered what snobs they were.

The next round was my fault for thinking I could trust people to be human beings. While this was going on, my mother passed away suddenly. As I had to take some time off from the board, I posted about what had happened to inform the members. The members who abandoned the board returned and took advantage of the situation to take personal attacks against me. As I did not have admin permissions, I could not put a stop to this; nor did the admin seem to be capable of stopping it (or perhaps did not give a damn). As the board just became an uncomfortable place to visit during the aftermath of this tragedy, and I was frankly disgusted with such lowly behavior, I abandoned the board.

Since, I have started 3 boards of my own; keep in mind that means that they are infant boards at this time. Even though one of the boards is set up to allow flaming in certain sections, a few things I will definitely castrate someone over is attacks on another member, trying to tell other members what they are allowed to post, and harassment of a member through the messaging system or email.

I had also witnessed on another board where some members did not like a very popular topic on the board and went into the topic and started attacking the members posting to that topic (primaily one started it, but others joined in). How did the mods handle it? They removed the topic and did nothing to the members who started the attack; kind of like rewarding people for their bad behavior. If I were in that position, I would have barred the member who started it and given a stern warning to the ones who joined in (considering that they have 4000 members, they could have afforded the loss of a member or two compared to setting a poor and embarrassing example).

Got off subject a little, but it helps to make a point. I also posted about what happened with with my mother on this board and was treated kindly and even sent emails of sympathy by the members. Andrew and the mods on this board have been excellent in dealing with situations in having the tolerance to deal with others and the experience to recognize a problem and deal with it appropriately. Not that I can necessarily recognize what appropriately is, but I can learn by watching their example.

Perhaps another thing that sets this board apart is that most of the members have quite a tolerance and sense of humor. Hey, look at the movies we watch. They don't take themselves too seriously and are simply trying to have fun.

It was actually this board which got me interested in forums, and I am glad I started here or I could have had a bad impression of forums if I had started on another board, like the ones I mentioned.

I came to this board because I was a fan of Andrew's site and had noticed that there had been no updates for a while and was concerned, knowing that he was military. I saw this link for a message board and clicked on it hoping that I could find if things were okay with Andrew. Not only did I find out, but under the skin of Andrew's site was a vibrant community of bad movie fans and people in general who just wanted to talk and have fun. I have thoroughly enjoyed it since.

Sorry for rambling like I did. (:

BeyondTheGrave
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Punks not Ded sez Rich

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2005, 09:39:07 PM »

Nah you didn't ramble Menard, you pretty much sumed up why lot of us come here. Everyone here is nice and considered about other members and have wicked sense of humor : )

I have my share of bad forum. The worst I have seen is music boards especially heavy metal/ punk boards. Man if you like anything but what music your posting about your a "poser" or much worse words than that.

-------------------------------------------------
Most of all I hate dancing then work, exercise, people,stupid people

Post Edited (08-17-05 21:39)

Most of all I hate dancing then work,exercise,people,stupidpeople

odinn7

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2005, 08:29:37 AM »

I have to agree with Menard about this board, very well written.

I am a member of a few other boards. One is moderated too harshly and any outbreak of individuality is crushed unless you're one of the "cool" ones who's been there for a long time, then they seem to look the other way. One is hardly moderated at all and even has an "Arguments & Fights" section as well as an "Anything Goes" section. That board is filled with mostly negative people that hammer anyone who they decide does not belong. The third board is actually taken care of fairly well. For the most part, people get along and there is very little "flaming". However, the mods make it very clear that if you step out of line, you're warned and then finished. You might ask why I would bother to be on a board such as those first 2 that I listed. One, I don't post to at all but I get information from it when there is any between the fights and insults. The other I get information from and will post to now and then.
BUT...this is by far above and beyond any other board I have ever seen. The people that Andrew selected to be mods do a great job and everyone for the most part gets along real well. Thanks Andrew and everyone involved in making this board what it is.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2005, 09:14:42 AM »

I was lurking around here for a long time before I decided to register on the Phorum. I've had my experiences on other boards too and this one is by far the most hospitable I've found.

I know that any time a regular around here has some personal crisis the other members  tend to rally around to give comfort or advice.

I look at it this way, this is a place to share in something we all enjoy and to have fun. Isn't that the point of watching "Bad" movies. I just don't see the reason for hostility in a  place that is all about enjoyment (and it's occasionally educational).

I think we have a highly diverse bunch of intelligent folks who want to share something they have in common and enjoy themselves doing it.

The only other board I post on with any kind of regularity is over at SciFilm.org. Gerry who runs the sight is a regular here. They have a real nice bunch of folks over there too. Their focus is little less general than ours and a little more serious, but if you are a fan of classic or modern science fiction you should check them out.

Post Edited (08-18-05 19:51)

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
LH-C
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2005, 11:00:11 AM »

I have had only one problem on one board, and it was my fault because I was going through a lot of bad things at the time and wasn't thinking too clearly.

Gerry
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

It's not what you say, it's how you say it.

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2005, 11:28:10 AM »

trek_geezer wrote:

> The only other board I post on with any king of regularity is
> over at SciFilm.org. Gerry who runs the sight is a regular
> here. They have a real nice bunch of folks over there too.
> Their focus is little less general than ours and a little more
> serious, but if you are a fan of classic or modern science
> fiction you should check them out.
>

Wow, thanks for the plug, trek.  I'll get that check in the mail this afternoon.
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2005, 07:53:03 PM »

You're welcome Gerry. By the way how much are compliments going for now?

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
onionhead
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2005, 09:26:48 AM »

SciFilm is my OTHER favorite site, and the forum is run well, too.  I just don't see the need to bash or flame other members, unless you are a closet pedophile who prefers arson and kitty torture to interaction with other adults.  But then, society has a place for you, too.

Some people like cupcakes better--I for one care less for them
peter johnson

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2005, 11:09:17 PM »

I used to post over at Jabootu, but what a closed clique!
The only other post I go to is Taste of Shakespeare or Firesign Theatre --
This is a good group . . . despite the fact that Menard still doesn't know what I mean . . .
peter johnson/denny crane

I have no idea what this means.
Menard
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2005, 11:52:51 PM »

peter johnson

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2005, 11:23:53 PM »

Very funny emoticons, Menard!!
Now, could you tell the rest of us what it is I mean?
I, for one, am dying to know!!
By the way, I went to the Portal O' Doom -- Damn!  You're an ambitious soul, no?  I mean, you're trying to throw up every single one(? -- perhaps) of your interests at once on a single site, what with Old Time Radio getting equal billing with H.P. Lovecraft, etc. --
You're insane . . .
I LIKE that in a poster!!
God be with ye . . .
much love,

Menard
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2005, 11:32:02 PM »

Did you go to the portal or The Cage?

Yep, I am probably being a little over obsessive in trying to include a little of everything. But I like it.

peter johnson

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2005, 11:43:42 PM »

I looked at The Asylum, The Portal, and The Cage --
Phew!
How do you have time for anything else?  I mean, just keeping track of whether or not all those numerous other sites to contact via The Portal are still alive or current or not would be a chore alone!
Hell, I have a wide variety of interests too -- lately visiting a lot of Neolithic/Stone-Art sites in preparation for my October visit to Scotland, wherein I hope to go underground -- literally -- into a lot of old burial sites and recently excavated houses on the Isle of South Uist, etc. etc.
(H.P. Lovecraft, call your agent . . .)
I would not, however, even DREAM of compiling a sampling of all said sites & combining them with my other interests into such an amalgam.
I mean this not as a putdown.  I am genuinely impressed.
Wouldn't do it myself, but yeah, I think it's cool . . .
The rest of you board people would do well to go on over & check this out --

Menard
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2005, 01:35:36 AM »

There is a piece of software I can get which is a link verifier that is suppose to be able to scan and verify links on a web page. As it is at present, there are a good number of sites on the Portal which I visit regularly, so that helps to keep a heads up on some of them. As I add pages to the Portal, though, it will become more of a task to verify links (and verifying links is something I want to keep up as I get annoyed myself when I go to a web page and half the links are dead).

The forums are going to be a different matter as they are young now; The Cage just went online this week. As membership increases, maintaining several boards will become a headache. Hopefully I will be able to trust a member or two to be a mod, but it will take some time to feel them out to see if they will be a good mod. Creation City has the advantage at present that the few who have been attracted to it are webmasters and pretty even tempered (actually, I already know 4 of them who would be good mods). The Island and both of the Asylums do not have the ability to assign mod permissions, but nobody pays attention to the one blog anyway, so at least that one is not a problem.

Sites o' Doom pretty much takes care of itself. I just need to check in every now and then to make certain it updates and that no inappropriate sites have been listed.

The news site does not require any input from me as it is a remote service which runs off of rss feeds and updates automatically. I just need to include a a note with the link to remind visitors that it takes a while for a page full of newsfeeds to begin to load due to having to scan and update from all the feeds (nothing to do with connection speed).

I think that covers it. Bound to change by next week though.

Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Other boards « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.