Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 02:00:11 AM
714307 Posts in 53091 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Wizards, the post-apocalyptic lord of the rings « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Wizards, the post-apocalyptic lord of the rings  (Read 2127 times)
Daniel Williamson
« on: December 27, 2001, 12:12:16 PM »

I don't think WIZARDS was a bad movie, Bakshi was test-running his fantasy world so he could make the first two episodes of Lord of Rings into a two hour animated feature him.
I still think Wizards should be remade and there should be a sequel.
AndyC
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2001, 03:12:22 PM »

It was an interesting story, a somewhat amusing movie, and really speaks of the time in which it was made. It must have been a groundbreaking film at the time. On the other hand, it also has plenty of examples of just what a lazy animator Bakshi could be. Some of the shortcuts he took were just incredibly bad. As with his Lord of the Rings, there are times when it seems pretty generous to call Wizards an animated film.

One thing jumped out at me the first time I saw Wizards. I grew up watching Star Blazers, which featured the character of Captain Avatar, who had a bushy white beard and eyes that were always hidden under his cap. All you could really see of his face was his nose poking out under the peak. The resemblance to the wizard Avatar is uncanny. Obviously, one of the people who translated Star Blazers when it was imported had seen Wizards and saw the resemblance. It was a good joke, made all the better by having this sudden revelation after having watched Star Blazers for years unaware.
Flangepart
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2001, 01:16:33 PM »

Also, diden't the atr style of the original scenes look a lot like Vaughn Bode?
BoyScoutKevin
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2001, 07:52:30 PM »

i have always enjoyed most of Bakshi's work, including "Wizards."
Actually, I think he is probably underrated as an animator. If one were to choose the 50 greatest animators of all-time, starting with Winsor McCay putting a pen to paper and creating Gertie the Dinosaur, his name would probably have to be up there. Enjoy!
Dan DiCenso
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2001, 12:10:25 AM »

>Also, diden\'t the atr style of the original scenes look a lot like Vaughn Bode?

You noticed that too, huh?  I\'m a fan of Bode\'s art and I often wondered if Bakshi and Bode ever met.  (i.e. Bakshi stealling Bode\'s style for the movie)

Then again, I\'ve read that Wizards inspired Wendy and Richard Pini to go ahead with thier comic book, Elfquest  (And you do see some resemblence between the elves of Wizards and those of EQ)
Flangepart
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2001, 12:20:16 PM »

Hummmm....makes sense. Never realised the Pini connection before. The Bode style is mostly in the evil types, but the Elves do look familiure.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Wizards, the post-apocalyptic lord of the rings « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.