Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:28:14 PM
713370 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Evil Dead II (1987) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Evil Dead II (1987)  (Read 2446 times)
trekgeezer
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

We're all just victims of circumstance

« on: September 01, 2005, 12:05:27 PM »

Okay, I just watched Evil Dead a few months ago and I found it far superior in the thrill category than this movie.  I admit there is a lot of gore and creepy looking stuff, but not once did I feel any kind of tension building.

I really enjoyed the original far more because it had that cheesy independent horror movie feel to it. This second one just jumps right into the slapstick action. I would have liked a few more real scares.

I had to laugh at some reviews I saw on IMDB that spoke of horrifying action. Everything is overdone to the point of being ridiculous, I didn't see anything horrifying about it .

I love Army of Darkness which makes no pretense at being anything but a comedy. EDII is a good enough movie, it just didn't live up to all the hype I've read about it.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2005, 12:15:23 PM »

I got the feeling that Raimi went on a 3 Stooges binge before he shot Evil Dead 2.
I agree, it is rather cheesy compared to the first one.

Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2005, 01:58:09 PM »

Eventhough I absolutely love the Evil Dead series, and eventhough I own EDII, it's a "meh" film for me.

I've seen it numerous times and yet it's not really all that good.  Most people love it compared to the original Evil Dead and feel it to be far superior.  For me, it's nothing compared to the original.  The original was dark, sick and dark.  This one is just silly.

I applaud Raimi for doing something different, but it's just not as good as the original.

Army Of Darkness however is an absolute joyride.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
daveblackeye15

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2005, 02:02:57 PM »

I love the first movie dearly, it was , as somebody previously said, dark and sick.

But Evil Dead II is a close second but I do wonder how it would have been if Raimi stuck with the seriousness of the first movie.

But you must admit it was this movie that turned Ash from a cowering college guy who was just the one man fortune enough to last as long as he did in ED to a  wise ass bad ass dude who took the chainsaw to a whole new level and fought back all sorts of crazy s***.

In other words it was Evil Dead II that made Ash...Ash.

Now it's time to sing the nation anthem IN AMERICA!!!

Bandit Keith from Yu-Gi-Oh the Abridged Series (episode 12)
odinn7

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2005, 02:04:57 PM »

Yes, I feel the same way about EDII. I saw it in the theaters after seeing the original and I was quite annoyed by it honestly. They tried to change too much of the original story line to make it all fit and it just didn't have the feel of the original. Haven't seen it since it was first released but that's what I remember about it.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
Mr_Vindictive

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2005, 02:06:49 PM »

Dave,

I understand your point about Ash becoming Ash in EDII, but I do rather like the original Ash better.

Here was a guy who wasn't heroic and seemed perfectly normal before he's flung into a situation with demons and such.  Felt much more real (as much as possible considering the film).  

Sure I love the wisecracks and the kicking of asses, but the original Ash is great.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Neville

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2005, 02:07:23 PM »

I actually prefer it over the other two. The fisrt one works surprisingly well despite the lack of budget, but number two rocks. You are all right when you say it is sillier, and that the tension is completely gone, but I think that was the idea, to replay number one (plot is almost identical) but playing a completely different tune.

Number three is more profesionally made, and has some good ideas, but it feels too tired to me, specially the las act. It also lacks most of the raw kinetic energy I like of number two.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
daveblackeye15

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2005, 02:12:11 PM »

That is a good point. I never said I disliked him , being a regular joe thrown into this kind of situation.

The first is still my favorite but it wouldn't feel right if they were to swich the Ashes. I don't think ED Ash could handle the head Deadite of EDII

ED is one of my favorite horror movies.
EDII gave us one of the coolest horror characters ever.

I can't really complain about either.

Mr_Vindictive

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2005, 02:14:08 PM »

Dave,

Understood.  

My main gripe with EDII is the one thing that it is mainly known for - the FX.

The claymation with Ash's girlfriend dancing around the woods is awful, as is the green blood and the scene with the corpse in the fruit cellar.

Sure I know it was supposed to be campy but it was a major let down after falling in love with the original.

daveblackeye15

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2005, 02:24:20 PM »

I like the claymation for some reason. Any claymation has always had  this odd look to it.

But I can understand how you felt disappointed with the sequal/remake.

My brother showed me the second movie first which I fell in love with then a year later I saw the first movie and I actually went "What the hell happened in between movies?"

Even though I fell back into liking the second movie (though not as much as I loved the first moive) I still scratch my head at the difference in the movies.

Evil Dead is the superior film and we can both agree on this....

EVIL DEAD KICKS ASS!!!

Am I right?

Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2005, 03:46:11 PM »

Since EDII was the movie that officially got me into horror movies (if you don't count '50s monster movies as "horror), I have to say that, to me, it rocks. I went to see it because I was in the theater where it was playing seeing another movie (it was a small-town duplex theater) and heard people screaming bloody murder. The night I saw it, the audience was screaming with laughter. It works both ways for me, and I appreciate a light touch in a scary situation; it makes it more like an amusement park ride--you're scared, but you know there's no real danger and so it's fun, too. ED was, as has been said, more of a straight horror movie, which is fine, but by the time I saw it, the story was cliche: a group of people are isolated and terrified by something unspeakable. How many horror movies does that describe? EDII has some fun with that formula, and that's fine by me.

I don't mean that all horror movies should try for humor, but EDII has a nice balance of horror and humor.

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
BeyondTheGrave

Punks not Ded sez Rich

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2005, 03:55:34 PM »

I agree with Dave.  the first two ED add something different to the table. I did enjoy both but the second ED just made Ash the wise cracking badass he is.

-------------------------------------------------
Most of all I hate dancing then work, exercise, people,stupid people

Most of all I hate dancing then work,exercise,people,stupidpeople

Zapranoth
Eye of Sauron and

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2005, 08:50:16 PM »

Come on...   the eyeball.

AhhhhhhhhhhhhhhHHHHHHHH *glump!*

The hand, making a gleeful little start when it "sees" the butcher knife... Ash, grinning as he says, "That's right.  WHO'S LAUGHING NOW?"    *bzzzzzzzztttttttttttttt!*

Awesome movie.  =)
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2005, 05:59:30 PM »

Man that subject was hard to type...
I like both movies, but I find myself wanting to watch them at differnent times for different reasons.  I prefer EDII, because I really am not into "real" horror and love some of the tropes that are mocked, I especially love the magically growing one room shack concept when Ash is being chased.  All those doors in that tiny place just crack me up.  Its sort of a Shawn of the Dead thing with me.  
ED is a good movies as well, but its horror, and so I'll watch it and enjoy it but I will not seek it out.  

Ed (not the film)

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Evil Dead II (1987) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.