Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 01:59:44 PM
714217 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7734 Members
Latest Member: BlackVuemmo
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  "Immortal" (aka "Immortel") « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: "Immortal" (aka "Immortel")  (Read 2191 times)
Fearless Freep
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: September 22, 2005, 11:47:24 AM »

Last night I watched Immortal

I'm not really sure what to think....I was pretty tired watching it and a bit distracted at first so I may have been a bit distracted,  but there was much f the movie I really couldn't make heads or tails of...'what the heck is going on'?

The biggest probem I seemed to have with the movie really was that it seemed to be based on a comic book or other sci-fi story and there is *not* a lot of back story to explain the world or the society or the characters so you're left a little adrift in figuring it out if you don't know the universe of the story already

For those who don't like CGI, this is probably not the movie for you.  Like "Sky Captain..." alsmot the enitire movie is CG in terms of sets, backgrounds, and even some characters.  I think the heavy use of CG actually hels to contribute to a very surreal, other-worldy atmosphere that works well.

The *general* plot is that Egyptians Gods have come to a future Earth in the form of a giant pyramid floating in the air.  One of t he Gods, Horus, is going to be kicked out of the fraternity, so to speak, and only has seven days to live.  So he goes through Earth looking for a female to procreate with while he still has time.  He finds a woman (Jill....not really sure if she is human, alien, or...) and possess the body of a human man in order to mate with her.  Meanwhile, someone, perhaps Horus, is killing people in the city and for various reasons several groups (police, doctors) are searching for both Horus and Jill.  Not sure of much beyond that because I admit I never really got a handle on who Jill was

I may have to re-watch at least the first third of the movie to pick up what I may have missed, but on a whole the movie was very stylized and artsy and moody and mysterious.  Tempting to say it was pretty good because I think the whole atmosphere is good and the story is a least pretty unique, but tempting to say it was bad because it was hard to make sense of it all...

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
Gerry
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

It's not what you say, it's how you say it.

« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2005, 01:18:36 PM »

Your reaction was pretty much the same as mine.  I was completely and utterly confused for a good share of the time, and liked it the rest of the time.

I need to revisit it again at least a couple of more times before I make a judgement.  It's either utterly brillant or artsy eurotrash.  I'm leaning toward the former right now, but it could still go either way.

Loved the flying blood shark monster though.

It's certainly unique.
Fearless Freep

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2005, 02:28:05 PM »

I'm going to try to re-watch it tonight and see if being more alert helps...in the beginning.  I was actually more alert and paying attention at the end but I admit I didn't know who John really was and his relationship to Jill...and who Jill really was for that matter.

=======================
Fearless Freep

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2005, 10:58:08 AM »

I re-wathced it last night and was able to put some missing pieces together that made most of the plot fit together much better, so I'll give it credit as being a pretty interesting and original movie.

There were still parts that made no sense, mostly about John, Jill and The Intrusion, and in the end it didn't really seem to have much of plot that moved to an ending, but I'll give it credit for being interesting to watch

=======================
Dr. Whom

Cthulhu for president! Why choose the lesser evil?

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2005, 03:58:16 PM »

As I said in an earlier post STAY AWAY FROM THIS ONE!! Sorry for yelling, but it is easily the most boring movie I have EVER seen. As proof, my long suffering bad movie companion actually fell asleep during this one, and she stayed awake throughout Final Fantasy!!

To be fair, it has the visuals going for it, and there is a quite complex and interesting background story to all this. Problem is, it didn't make it to the film. Enki Bilal rose to fame as a comic book artist in the 80s in France and he made a splendid series of interlinking graphic novels about Egyptian gods visiting a futuristic earth. These are really amazing and full of sharp social comments. At one point the Pope gets killed by his own cherubs who fly around him. The movie is only a very flat adaptation. I get the impression they tried to kill suspense on purpose.
For instance the sharks. They are very cool monsters, I agree. Yet they get zapped a few seconds in the action scene. Why such a waste?

Forget the movie, get the books

"Once you get past a certain threshold, everyone's problems are the same: fortifying your island and hiding the heat signature from your fusion reactor."

Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer? Ja! ... Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  "Immortal" (aka "Immortel") « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.