Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:07:31 AM
713330 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Hook « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Hook  (Read 2024 times)
Alan Smithee
Bad Movie Lover

« on: September 24, 2005, 06:18:35 AM »

Easily, one of Spielberg's worst. I saw this "enchanting" movie in the theatre, free. But I think I would've paid to have my 2 hours back. Robin Williams is obnoxious (as always), the sets are clunky and obvious, the sword fight scenes are poorly staged, the Lost Boys are coached to the hilt (and equally, OBNOXIOUS), the make-up is garish (Dustin Hoffman makes Tammy Faye look *almost* presentable), everything looks like it was filmed on a sound stage.

Spielberg certainly reached his nadir.
dean
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2005, 09:53:46 AM »

I didn't even realise this was a Speilberg flick.  Shows how much I pay attentiont to things.

Haven't seen it since I was a wee little lad, but when I saw it I enjoyed it, even though Tinkerbell annoyed the crap outta me [but thats just because Julia Roberts annoys the crap outta me I guess.]

I guess as a kid I don't really care about obvious set pieces and really crazy make-up artistry.  Though now that I know it was Speilberg's film, I guess I should have expected something better...

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Fearless Freep

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2005, 11:55:41 AM »

I thought it was a lot of fun...pretty silly and not to be taken seriously.  I wouldn't see it in the theater but I watch it in parts if it's on TV

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
daveblackeye15

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2005, 12:22:08 PM »

I enjoyed enourmously when I was a kid and still like watching it years later. Though I only recently learned about all the things that happened in the book  and make several occurinces impossible for this movie, I don't care.

This one kind of has it's own little army of people who saw it as a kid and loved it.

Now it's time to sing the nation anthem IN AMERICA!!!

Bandit Keith from Yu-Gi-Oh the Abridged Series (episode 12)
Zapranoth
Eye of Sauron and

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2005, 02:26:17 AM »

Aw, there was one sterling moment in that movie, though.  A line I still use, on extremely rare occasions, every several years, with my best friend (who is the only one who gets the reference):

"Put him in the boo box."
Gerry
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

It's not what you say, it's how you say it.

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2005, 11:55:09 AM »

I saw it in theaters (even paid for it) and was horribly disappointed.  Such a great concept so horribly wasted.  All of Spielberg's very worst directorial traits came to the foreground on this one and rotted like a cesspool.  Normally I'm a huge Steven fan...even liked A.I. quite a lot.  JP II: THE LOST WORLD was pretty awful too, but nothing compared to this pile of steaming dung.

It's not the worst Robin Williams film though, that would be TOYS (1992) IMO, the only movie that was bad enough I actually walked out of a theater.
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2005, 05:21:37 PM »

I like this one very much.  It takes the Peter Pan story to an interesting level.  
Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
Alan Smithee
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2005, 06:38:19 AM »

Ebert does a good job of ragging on Hook:
http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/19911211/REVIEWS/112110301/1023

As for Toys, I saw that s**tty movie in the theatre, too. I wanted to ask the manager for a refund, but that would've made me look cheap. I guess I got what I deserved since it wasn't like it wasn't being ripped apart by critics.
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2005, 07:07:24 AM »

I didn't even make it half way through Hook.
To this day I still have never seen the entire thing.

BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2005, 11:32:33 AM »

I must agree with Alan on this one. I liked this one even less then "1941." At least I could sit all the way through "1941," but I have never been able to sit all the way through "Hook." Which is too bad. "Hook" has a good cast, besides the ones already named, it also has Maggie Smith, Charlie Korsmo, Bob Hoskins, Phil Collins, Arthur Malet, and Gwyneth Paltrow.

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Hook « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.