Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:31:00 AM
713387 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The Gong Show (movie) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Gong Show (movie)  (Read 2296 times)
Alan Smithee
Bad Movie Lover

« on: September 24, 2005, 05:55:01 AM »

Anyone see this one?
If so, how bad is it?
Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2005, 06:02:37 AM »

Are you talking about "Confessions of a Dangerous Mind"?

I haven't seen it.
Alan Smithee
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2005, 06:13:11 AM »

No.
The movie I'm referring to was released in the late 70's or 1980. Right around the time the tv show was dying out. My Leonard Maltin book rated it as a 'BOMB'.

But, it might be so bad, it's good. On the other hand, it could be truly rotten,

No video rental stores carry it (obviously)- certainly, none of the chains.

Maybe some of the smaller, locally owned, places ight.
Just Plain Horse
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2005, 11:18:28 AM »

Alan Smithee wrote:

> No.
> The movie I'm referring to was released in the late 70's or
> 1980. Right around the time the tv show was dying out. My
> Leonard Maltin book rated it as a 'BOMB'.
>
> But, it might be so bad, it's good. On the other hand, it could
> be truly rotten,
>
> No video rental stores carry it (obviously)- certainly, none of
> the chains.
>
> Maybe some of the smaller, locally owned, places ight.

Keep in mind, Leonard Maltin once gave"Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory" the same rating as "Laserblast"...

Fearless Freep

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2005, 12:03:43 PM »

Keep in mind, Leonard Maltin once gave"Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory" the same rating as "Laserblast"...

Good or bad?

Hmm...maybe a combination?   Taking that laser cannon to some Oompaloompas

Post Edited (09-24-05 12:04)

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
Foywonder
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2005, 05:38:59 PM »

I have THE GONG SHOW MOVIE on tape. It's quite bad. It's only real entertainment value is the 70s time capsule quality it gives off but otherwise it's just a really bad comedy.

NOW SHOWING IN FOYEURISM:
GOLDEN BAT - Feast your eyes on the wildest, wackiest, funkiest, Chiba-est Japanese superhero movie you've probably never heard of
B-WARE THE BLOG! - My blog devoted to the schlocktastic!
Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2005, 07:51:09 PM »

Watched the TV show every afternoon in the summer of 1976 while playing Monopoly at my friends house at 12 years of age and couldn't wait till the next show. We never could really play while the show was on as it was just to funny.

Later saw GONG SHOW THE MOVIE at the Drive-In Theater in Wellsboro, PA and couldn't help but like the film.

Some of my favorites were Gene Gene the Dancing Machine who would come out and then all kinds of craziness would break loose. Chuck Berris would say "oh no" when the Gene Genes music would start to play and then he would start dancing.

As far as the movie goes you might not be able to get into it unless you watched the show.

Menard
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2005, 08:28:31 PM »

I did not see the movie, but, like Scott, I loved the TV show. Let's face it; how many shows would have had the gall to put Rex Reed, Jaye P Morgan, and Chuck Barris in the same room and let them improvise.

From this show we also had the Unknown Comic launch his career that lasted for a few years (A comedian discovers that he is funnier if he put a paper bag on his head. I'm not kidding).

There is also the infamous episode that was pulled from the air after it aired on the East Coast. This one involved the two teenage girls and popsicles.

I too loved the part where Gene Gene The Dancing Machine would tear up the stage and everybody would go bonkers.

I saw an interview with Barris later in which he talked about some of the things that went on behind the scenes, which he also wrote in a book. Many of those things were outright bizarre or hilarious. If the movie at least contains some of that, I would probably find it entertaining.

Zapranoth
Eye of Sauron and

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2005, 02:28:05 AM »

I liked that bodybuilder guy who came out and flexed his pecs, alternately, to annoying music.  He always got gonged fast.

(I'm straight, FYI.  But it was just sooooooooooooooo annoying.)
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The Gong Show (movie) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.