Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:46:22 PM
714241 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Things people don't do any more « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Things people don't do any more  (Read 4448 times)
dean
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2005, 08:47:05 AM »

AndyC wrote:

> Well, they might not have ghetto blasters (a pity), but the
> kids around here do find ways to make their ipods extra showy.
> Anybody else see teenagers walking around listening to mp3s on
> big honking huge home stereo headphones? They're all doing it
> here.
>
> Probably gives them a nice sound, but I wonder if it kills the
> batteries faster. Also makes it a lot harder to hear traffic,
> especially when they cross the street wherever and whenever the
> mood strikes them.
>

Hey, don't talk bad about those headphones, I own a pair, though don't use them that much anymore [with my Ipod as well mind you] since they aren't suitable for portability [a really big cord which is taller than me, kinda not good to carry in your pocket, plus they are broken slightly] but they do pump out some really good sound quality, and it's good for when I take public transport to Uni, so I don't have to listen to all the people on the trains and trams, and besides, what do you need to hear traffic for anyways...

Not too sure about the battery sapping ability of them, but they were a really good pair of headphones.  I use them now with my computer so I can watch DVDs in bed as loud as I want without annoying the rest of the household.  God I'm lazy; I can use a remote on it to play dvds.  That's so lazy...

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
dean

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2005, 08:49:58 AM »

ASHTHECAT wrote:

> trek_geezer wrote:
>
> >
> > I always liked the single punch to the jaw putting someone
> out
> > too
>
> If you like that then:
> WATCH
> THIS!

>
> (Note: the site this video is on contains Adult Material)
>

Oh man, that guy would be waking up with one hell of a headache...

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Just Plain Horse
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2005, 09:24:33 AM »

trek_geezer wrote:

> To be honest the whole fist fight thing has always been a load
> of crap. I 've seen grown men fight and guess what they pull
> hair, gouge eyes, bite, kick, hang on to each other, and roll
> around a lot.
>
> I always liked the single punch to the jaw putting someone out
> too
>

The thing I liked about the Roddy Piper/ Keith David fight was that it was more realistic than most fights... people are trying to see who can dominate who, not provide a bit of entertainment for the audience. In real life, you get in long, drawn out fights until one of the combatants is too tired to go on, someone gets seriously injured, or an outside group arrives to break it up.

And nobody, NOBODY gets knocked out with one punch. Mike Tyson is the only person I would even remotely hold out the possibility of knocking someone out with just one punch... but I seriously doubt that would be his method of choice... especially if he's hungry...

odinn7

« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2005, 10:50:00 AM »

"And nobody, NOBODY gets knocked out with one punch. "

You must never watch kick boxing or any of the pay-per-view combat events. I don't watch them anymore but I will say that I sure did see numerous times where people were flattened with a well placed hit.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
Fearless Freep

« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2005, 02:16:59 PM »

From the videos I've seen of live (real street) fights, most don't last that long.  If one of the fighters has any training in MA, then it's usually pretty short

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
Shadowphile
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2005, 11:47:42 PM »

Ah, the Quiet Man.  I'm not sure as to the length but I'd certainly say it covers more terrain than any fight short of the Arnie vs Predator fight in Predator.

I'd have to say it us one of my favourite John Wayne movies
Just Plain Horse
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2005, 11:23:24 AM »

odinn7 wrote:

> "And nobody, NOBODY gets knocked out with one punch. "
>
> You must never watch kick boxing or any of the pay-per-view
> combat events. I don't watch them anymore but I will say that I
> sure did see numerous times where people were flattened with a
> well placed hit.
>

Perhaps I spoke too soon, but in all fairness, a kick isn't a punch. Both are striking blows, but kicks are much more powerful for a variety of reasons. And, if you're sure someone was knocked out with one punch, tell me who, when and where you saw it. I'm not afraid to be wrong, even "you look stupid" wrong.

zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2005, 02:17:35 PM »

once I tried on a pair of boxing gloves to see if they actually hurt when the made contact and punched my self in the face and almost knocked myself out, and it wasn't even a big punch.

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
daveblackeye15

« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2005, 03:11:07 PM »

I'm pretty sure Bruce Lee could have knocked someone out with a single punch. Damn was that guy tough!

I havn't seen it but that doesn't mean that some one else didn't see it happen. He was in a lot of fights.

Now it's time to sing the nation anthem IN AMERICA!!!

Bandit Keith from Yu-Gi-Oh the Abridged Series (episode 12)
daveblackeye15

« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2005, 03:12:50 PM »

What this? The hero ,plus sidekick or heroine, is surrounded by his enemies. Behind him is a cliff or raging river. Since the hero knows there is not much of a chance at him defeating all the bad guys he dives into the river/jumps into the waterfall.

I think that was quite common back then but is it still today?

Now it's time to sing the nation anthem IN AMERICA!!!

Bandit Keith from Yu-Gi-Oh the Abridged Series (episode 12)
Jim H

« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2005, 05:23:25 PM »

A lot of western people really did pistol whip people.  They didn't want to kill people if they could help it - death just meant more trouble for the town when his friends wanted revenge.  Of course, this certainly could cause serious injury - but likely not as serious as shooting them.

"To be honest the whole fist fight thing has always been a load of crap. I 've seen grown men fight and guess what they pull hair, gouge eyes, bite, kick, hang on to each other, and roll around a lot. "

Depends on why they're fighting from what I've seen, but yeah.  You might like the fights in A History of Violence...  Generally believable ways of very quickly winning fights (and, of course, finesse and grace are not involved).  I always like in movies how they let people stand up again in the middle of fights, even when they're trying to flat out kill each other.  If you want to see the opposite...  Violence is the film.  Having someone stomp your throat while you're on the ground SUCKS.

One thing I've noticed people don't do much in films anymore is hold their revolvers right next to their body (think Rick in Casablanca at the end).  They hold them out much more, in a generally more believable stance, in most movies coming out now.
odinn7

« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2005, 07:29:12 AM »

Ok, in all fairness, I can't name names or dates. I know I've seen it as I used to be heavy into the UFC events, K1, Muay Thai Kickboxing, ISKA Kickboxing and all the other martial arts type events that were out there back in the early to mid 90's. Granted, many one hit knock outs were with a well placed kick but I swear I saw quite a few where a guy just came in and walked into a punch and went down.  As a matter of fact, I recall one of the first UFC events I watched, there was this huge guy that used grappling style. He was matched up against this tiny guy that had some kind of martial arts style. We all figured the little guy would be done in no time...well, he was but not the way we expected. They circled each other a little bit, the big guy came in and tried to grab the little guy and he caught a swinging backfist in the face that knocked him down. Whether or not he was actually out at that point is debateable but he didn't move and the little guy jumped on him and pounded his face until they stopped it. Obviously he was used to practicing with gloves on because he broke his hand on the big guys face and was unable to continue further in the event. As I said, I swear I've seen it but I can't give you names or specific examples. I used to watch all those shows until the UFC started looking like WWE wrestling with all it's ridiculous hype and the prices for these events started becoming outrageous. ESPN used to carry some ISKA events but now they only seem to carry the display type events once in a while and those are a year or more old. Anyway, I will concede here since I have no real proof other than what my often faulty mind can recall.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
StatCat
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2005, 08:46:46 AM »

You'll see one punch or kick knocking out people numerous times in fighting like ufc, pride etc. I don't even watch that stuff often but I've seen it enough to have witnessed it a couple of times.

-----------------------------------------------------
Wear a suit and tie when I'd rather sit and die
Fearless Freep

« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2005, 11:09:22 AM »

I know this is an old thread but the idea of the 'karate chop' to theneck is technically known as a "brachial plexus origin stun" and you can see a video of it being used in action as well as a discussion of how to perform it and how/why it works in this discussion on MartialTalk

brachial plexus origin stun

Yes, with the right shot and a little luck and a lot of skill you can take someone down with one shot

Post Edited (10-30-05 10:13)

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
Shadowphile
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2005, 01:01:39 PM »

Somebody mentioned the two handed 'Star Trek chop' that Kirk was so famous for.  Kurt Russell uses it in the final fight scene in 'Soldier'.
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Things people don't do any more « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.