Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 04:02:33 AM
714255 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Things You Never Knew About CARNIVAL OF SOULS « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Things You Never Knew About CARNIVAL OF SOULS  (Read 4323 times)
Mr. Lobo
Bad Movie Lover

« on: October 03, 2005, 03:09:25 AM »

Things You Never Knew About Carnival of Souls (1962)

by Mr. Lobo

* Carnival of Souls was shot in Kansas on a shoestring, which is much harder to load into a camera than standard film.

* Automobiles seldom float, but the 1947 Nash Sudser used in the film was made out of soap!

* Driving scenes were often used to pad out a thin script in 1960's films.

* Carnival Of Souls was the only feature film made by industrial training film director Herk Harvey. His other work includes Night Driving in High Heels, In The Key of Safety: Preventing Accidents at the Organ Factory and Utah: Where Fun Takes A Holiday.

* Cold water immersion can be quite revitalizing, under the right circumstances.

* Writer John Clifford wrote only one good draft of his screenplay before shooting began. Of course, we're talking about heroin - the principal photography came later.

* Candice Hiligoss was manufactured for the movie by Mattel.

* As Mary is driving, the ghoul that appears in the window is holdng a squeegee!

* The dilapidated Saltair Pavilion used as the chilling Carnival in the film was officially closed only two weeks before shooting. It was deemed unsafe after hitting 349 child deaths in one year, 12 above the state limit.

* The cinematographer for Carnival of Souls was nominated for an Academy Award® for almost making Utah look interesting.

* To save money on this homegrown Kansas production, all of the dubbing and sound effects were done in Italy and recorded by telephone.

* The word "Artistic," as a cinematic term, means dull or meaningless.

* After a second week of shooting unusable takes with the film's cast, Herk Harvey brought in the drama club of the local high school to help the actors with their lines.

* In Mexico, the film is called Chili Con Carnaval con Almas.

* Director Herk Harvey was leering at and chasing the lead actress around so much during shooting that they decided to write Herk in as a ghostly figure that Mary keeps seeing.

* Sidney Berger, who plays Mary's creepy neighbor, was not only in the Wes Craven-produced remake... but is also the only person on record who didn't demand a refund after paying to see it.

* Mary Henry accidentally gets killed when her car goes off a bridge, and after a tasteless couple moves into her house she's forced to hire "bio-exorcist" Beetlejuice (Michael Keaton) - wait, I'm thinking of another film.

* For many years after the film's production, Candice Hiligoss was deathly afraid of goths and eyeliner.

* In one scene Mary is in a department store, and none of the clerks or employees seem to hear or see her - proving it was shot on location at Macy's.

* The Foley artist chopped carrots on a cutting board for the sound of Mary's footsteps.

* For the cost of the Criterion DVD, you could have MADE Carnival of Souls!

* Soundtrack Composer Gene Moore was thrown off the set after asking Candice Hiligoss to play with his organ.

* Herk Harvey believed that every filmmaker has one good film in him. This was later proven by M. Night Shamalyan.

* A novice driver, Candice studied episodes of Supercar so that she could look natural behind the wheel.

* In test screenings, many thought the film lost its grip when Mary started talking with a giant hookah-smoking caterpillar.

* The jellied eels sold at the Brighton Beach Boardwalk are NOT 'electric'... although the intrepid souls who eat them may find them electrifyingly good - especially with balsamic vinegar.

* Most church organists prefer acid jazz.

* Mary Henry is a postal worker who, as a result of her brutal experiences in Vietnam, mentally breaks down and starts seeing demons which follow her and kill her friends - no, wait, that was Jacob's Ladder!

* Originally you could see the ending from a mile away. This was extended to 10 miles to help make the film feature-length.

* Sleazy greaser neighbors are seldom encouraged to show off their organ, however much they may attempt to.

* The film is so incomprehensible that it's often categorized in the "foreign" section at video stores.

* In the director's cut for the picture disc released by RCA a big, goofy Great Dane and a group of teenagers unmask the ghoul who mans the abandoned carnival - to discover he was really the organ designer from the first reel.

* Zombies dance poorly, unless the organ being played is a Whirl-it-zer.

* Mary is a troubled girl sees dead people walking around with the living. A psychiatrist (Bruce Willis) tries to help her cope with her unique gift, and to also find out what these ghostly figures - no, sorry! That's The Sixth Sense!

* When Mary plays the organ, her fingers don't match the notes. This is the reason the film is a laugh riot among organists and the Rocky Horror Picture Show of junior high school band camp.

* The Priest proclaims Mary profane after she plays the church organ "Kansas style" - meaning, without shoes.

* Elegant and fragile Candice Hiligoss appeared in only two films before she tripped on a dry leaf and shattered on the ground in a million pieces.

* The priest who was also the casting director was so busy "casting out demons" that he failed to secure professional actors for the film.

* Like many horror directors, Herk Harvey was also inspired by Million Dollar Mermaid (1952).

* Many modern horror fans feel this often overrated cult favorite is quaint and outdated.. To this I say, "Pish Posh!"

* The movie's title was was changed to Carnival Of Souls when the director concluded that the original title, Car Full of Dead Girls, might spoil the ending for some viewers.

"They're not bad movies...just misunderstood"
Just Plain Horse
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2005, 07:40:34 AM »

Some people get offended when you make a joke about a "classic" like this one, but I think it should and can take a little ribbing. The leering, greasy neighbor is exactly the kind of element that deserves ribbing.

Ed, Ego and Superego
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2005, 01:13:23 PM »

he he he.. I love the driving scene joke.  But then again, I'm odd
-Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2005, 02:35:01 PM »

I've had the DVD sitting around for months, I guess now I have to watch it  so I can laugh at the in-jokes.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Mr. Lobo
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2005, 04:06:26 PM »

Mr. Lobo is spread a bit thin this month so it's not my strongest list. Thanks for the compilments, everyone!

odinn7

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2005, 08:11:38 AM »

Mr. Lobo, I was very upset by this list. It's obvious to me that you only half-heartedly even tried to make this. Why is it so obvious to me? Well, simply put, because you forgot to mention something on that list that most definitely belongs there....Need me to tell you what it is? Very well then, allow me to add to your list in hopes that you won't overlook such details in the future:
Driving scenes were often used to pad out a thin script in 1960's films.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
Just Plain Horse
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2005, 09:23:32 AM »

Things I Thought I Learned From "Carnival of Souls":

*I see boring dead people!*

*Credits can be classified as litter, so never let the police catch you throwing them from your car. Some animals can get caught in credits and die*

*Even dead women are poor drivers*

*Some people have bathophilia, a strong desire to take hot baths*

*It's not the size of the organ, but how the lady plays with it that counts*

*There is actually a complex society of greasy, leering creeps:The upper crust is well represented in this film *

*Organ music can make you hallucinate. There's nothing like breakin' into a church and gettin' high off "The Sweet By & By"*

*Even dead people need a therapist at some point*

*There was a time when dead people were asked to sit in the back of the bus while the living sat up front*

*It's true- dead men really don't wear plaid... but they do wear white after Labor Day*

*Thankfully, no version of Carnival of Souls exists in Smell-o-Vision or Taste-o-vision*

Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2005, 09:55:54 AM »

What I remember most about CARNIVAL OF SOULS is the organ music and when Hildaross is driving at night and that ghostly face appears in the window. Also the drag race on the bridge and the location of the dance.

Hey, Mr. Lobo can I be on you show?  (always wanted to ask)

Post Edited (10-04-05 09:57)

Mr. Lobo
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2005, 02:46:54 PM »

Sure.

Scott

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2005, 07:00:00 PM »

When do I start Mr. Lobo? Hey everyone I'm working with Mr. Lobo now.....................

Mr. Lobo
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2005, 11:01:35 PM »

What can you do?

Scott

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2005, 11:13:51 PM »

I can be a walk on Bill Gates look alike mixed with some of my original comedy(yes, comedy is my true calling ) and I can do it standing up or sitting down. Not many many comedians can do that. Not all my jokes are funny.  It is the audiences responsibility to sort through them.

http://www.angelfire.com/nj4/trips0/ To see a few images of me.

Post Edited (10-04-05 23:26)

Scott

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2005, 11:56:07 PM »

Mr. Lobo goes into the basement of his upper class B-Movie home and at the end of a long basement tunnel you have Bill Gates keeping an inventory of the films you have on file and then Bill Gates offers you your trademark cup of coffee and tries to explain the next film as incoherantly as possible and of course you must turn to the audience to explain, excuse, and clarify both the incompitence of your help and the virtues of the B-Movie about to be shown. Maybe you have Bill Gates thrown into a labratory alligator pit like in I WAS A TEENAGE FRANKENSTEIN. There is a big splash and then you introduce the film. Of course your assistant Bill Gates comes back at every commercial break all wet with some random unrelated dialogue.

Mr. Lobo
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2005, 06:09:47 AM »

Forget about you--Who are those two girls!

Mr. Lobo
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2005, 06:13:38 AM »

I like the idea of mr. Lobo interacting with Bill gates or Bill Gates type...We have plans to build a Super Computer for Mr. Lobo's email segments. Are you in Northern California?

Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Things You Never Knew About CARNIVAL OF SOULS « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.