Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:53:58 AM
713327 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" the TV show... any good? « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" the TV show... any good?  (Read 7734 times)
nobody
Bad Movie Lover

« on: October 04, 2005, 09:53:03 PM »

I see that season 1 of "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" will be released on DVD soon. I was too young to appreciate the show when it was on TV, and haven't seen a single episode. I was wondering if anyone here has any opinions of the show. I loved "The Twilight Zone"... will I feel the same way about Hitchcock presents? For only $30, I might just bite the bullet and buy the first season sight unseen.

"Television is an invention that permits you to be entertained in your living room by people you wouldn't have in your home."  
(David Frost)
Scott
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2005, 10:57:30 PM »

I only remember the opening when Hichcocks music would play and he would sit in his chair and talk to the audience which was kinda neat, but the episode I saw didn't interest me much at the time which was late 70's. Even though I was a big big fan of TWILIGHT ZONE and OUTER LIMITS at the time.

Didn't like NIGHT GALLERY that much and ALFRED HITCHCOCK PRESENTS gives me the same feeling when looking back . Probably to young to appreciate either of them at the time. Maybe someone here can give a better view and review of both these shows.

odinn7

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2005, 07:05:18 AM »

I have seen quite a few episodes of AHP and some were good, some were boring. Overall it's really not the same as Twilight Zone or Outer limits as it's more of a mystery show in many cases. My feeling is that you will probably be bored, but I could be wrong. It is only $30 so it's not a big risk.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
Ken Begg
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2005, 08:09:57 AM »

It's not a fantasy related series, it's more a suspense show with a lot of puckish humor.  The production values are generally top-notch, and many famous guest stars appeared in various episodes.

I was thrilled to buy it, but then, I'm a lot older than many of you guys. I would really suggest renting the first disc via Netflix, or through your local library, and giving it a look that way.
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2005, 12:34:29 PM »

Not being older, I can say that I did enjoy the series in rerun over the years.  Some of them are a it dull, but it was usually good suspense.  With the new relaxed standards in violence/gore, I feel that shock has somewhat replaced well crafted suspense.  AH usually gives me satisfaction in the suspense department, and with a dose of humor.
-Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
Shadowphile
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2005, 09:20:04 PM »

Having watched this as a kid, I can say one thing.  The best part was Alfred Hitchocks comments before the episodes ran and before the commercials, when he shreds the sponsors.

Interestingly the commentary was all shot ahead of time so it has no realtion to the episode it appears with...
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2005, 02:01:15 PM »

Any good? That would depend. Seen a few of the episodes. Thought he was a better director, then TV host. Never seen it, but watch the episode featuring a leg of lamb. It's suppose to be a classic. The one that I did see, that I did like, featured Steve McQueen, Peter Lorre, and McQueen's cigarette lighter. Quite an ending to that one.

Shadowphile
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2005, 11:56:26 AM »

That scene is reproduced in 'Four Rooms' with Tim Roth.  Quentin Tarantino plays the Lorre role...
nobody
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2005, 02:30:22 PM »

I remember seeing that "Four Rooms" bit, and liking it, but then hearing from everyone and their mother that Tarantino ripped it off of Hitchcock. I never did see the original Hitchcock version.

"Television is an invention that permits you to be entertained in your living room by people you wouldn't have in your home."  
(David Frost)
Shadowphile
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2005, 09:19:37 PM »

Tarantino says in the scene that  he ripped it off from Hitchcock.....
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" the TV show... any good? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.