Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:37:02 PM
714247 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Semi OT: A Day at the Lake cheaper than movie tickets « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Semi OT: A Day at the Lake cheaper than movie tickets  (Read 1245 times)
ulthar
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« on: October 08, 2005, 07:20:41 PM »

Today, my wife, our two kids and I went to the nearby lake for a picnic and some fishing.  We had a great time; Hunter, our 3 yo daughter, fished, played in the mud, threw mussel shells back into the water and generally wore herself out.

The reason I am posting this here, on this forum, is while walking to the car, it dawned on me: Less than $3 for nightcrawlers and $4 for the State Park entrance fee, and we got off a WHOLE LOT cheaper than 2 hours at the movies would have been.  Plus, we were outside, saw some cool birds (egrits, and once a vulture passed very close overhead looking for snacks), etc.

I have not been to a regular walk-in theatre since Master and Commander was released.  We do hit the drive-in a few times a year when something desirable is playing.  Other than that, I don't feel the need to go to theaters as much as I used to (at one point, I was seeing 2-4 movies per week in the theatre).  True, I like the big screen and modern sound systems, but hey, the overall experience, and general cost, just is not worth it for most movies released.

I realize this has been discussed to death here and elsewhere, but anyone else here pretty much given up on seeing new releases at the theater?  If so, what do you find doing otherwise?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2005, 05:08:56 PM »

As a general rule I don't go to the movie unless there is something I want to see that has lots of effects. Something like Lord of the Rings just doesn't do it on DVD the way it does in a good theater.  I usually end up only going something like 3 to 6 times a year.

When kids are your daughter's age they get way more out of a day like you had than sitting in a theater. These are the kind of times you remember when they get older. I'm glad you had such a nice day.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
dean

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2005, 10:54:41 PM »

New release movies still do it for me: I'm too much of a movie nut to wait until they come out on DVD.  Especially when we get delayed releases down here for some other films [Land of the Dead, for instance, started playing here a while after it started in the US.]

That and as Trek said, the special effects blockbusters are great on the big screen, as well as seeing a comedy on the opening weekend with a packed crowd that you can laugh along with them.  Half the time it's the atmosphere I like, the other half the big big screen to watch.

But I guess with Home theater systems increasing in size and power and are becoming less costly, many people wouldn't need to go to the movies for the big screen and big sound.

But the cinema isn't something I'd take my family to, unless it was a movie they really wanted to see: a nice day out is usually so much more rewarding, cheaper and more of a bonding, fun experience.  Well, usually... :-P

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2005, 01:08:38 PM »

I like seeing a new release in the theater, but I am also a cheapskate that way.  I'd rather wait for anything other then a personal "must see" movie that falls on a personal occaision (birthday or something) to go to a first run movie in the theatre.  We have a good second run place that serves food and beer, and so you can get movie, dribnks and dinner all for less than we paid to see it at the multiplex.  
Plus, on the subject of the original post... I find that its always more fun to go to movies by yourself or with one person.  Its not an interactive experience, so if I go out with friends or family the last thing we do is see a film.  We can sit quietly on our own time.   So in short (fianally) I agree with yoru observation ulthar.
-Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
LH-C
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2005, 12:07:34 PM »

For the past 10 years or so, 99% of the time if I do go to the movies, I'll go to a matinee in order to save money. But with matinee prices being $6.50 (sometimes $7.00) right now, it's not even a real bargain anymore.

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Semi OT: A Day at the Lake cheaper than movie tickets « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.