Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 11:23:58 PM
712920 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  What's the least stupid movie? « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What's the least stupid movie?  (Read 2783 times)
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« on: October 27, 2005, 02:44:32 AM »

I saw this question asked over at the Straight Dope Message Board, and thought it was a fantastic topic.  Go with any definition of "least stupid" you want, just tell me what your nomination is.

For me, I'm going to go with a movie that isn't necessarily super-intelligent or pretentious, just a movie that shows sheer competence and never drops the ball.

Here we go, Kurosawa's THE SEVEN SAMURAI.  There's no shortage of stupidity in the movie, but it all has to do with, for lack of better words, the "human condition".  Cinematic brilliance and very unstupid for almost three and a half hours.  I can't manage to be unstupid for more than thirty minutes at a time.

So, nominations?

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Scottie
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2005, 09:09:23 AM »

Nominations:

1.) Yasujiro Ozu's Tokyo Story (1953)- The film's subject matter is just so serious, there's no place for it to be stupid. When I first saw this, all I could think about was my own family and my parents and what's to become of them as they grow older. In a way, the movie is propoganda for the respect of Japanese culture, possibly as a backlash to a get up-and-go generation that invaded post-war Japan, but it also a transcontinental story that calls for the better treatment of our elders. There is no room for stupidity.

2.) Carl Dreyer's The Passion of Joan of Arc (1928) - A classic story as told by a maniacal Carl Dreyer who took a studio's budget on lavish costumes and period castles, and diminished it to abstraction through extreme close ups and off centered framing. Totally not stupid-- totally art.

3.) Anything by Dziga Vertov

4.) Lynch's Eraserhead (1977) - It's ten in the morning and my brain isn't thinking critically, but I know this movie isn't stupid. In fact, I'd like to make honorary additions of all of Luis Bunuel's surrealist films. And for that matter, I'll add any surrealist film that is truly surrealist (not Being John Malkovich, Vanilla Sky, or Donnie Darko) - Blood of a Poet, Stan Brackhage films, Guy Maddin, Brothers Quay, and even my favorite stop animation movie maker, Ladislas Starewicz.

___<br />Spongebob: What could be better than serving up smiles? <br />Squidward: Being Dead.
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2005, 09:19:02 AM »

Threads.......enough said.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Georgie Boy
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2005, 10:32:32 AM »

I would say either Johnny Got His Gun or Schindler's List.  I say this even though I am neither anti-war or Jewish.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2005, 10:44:44 AM »

This is actually a great topic, because you can usually find some stupid moments in even the greatest movies.  The fact that movies require "suspension of disbelief" means that there is almost always SOMETHING in the movie that is excessive, outlandish, larger than life and even borderline stupid.  Anyway, here are a few "least stupid" movies (in no particular order) that come to mind:

* TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD (although the "Boo Radley" character might almost cross the line into pseudo-horror movie stupidity)

* WHO'S AFRAID OF VIRGINIA WOOLF?

* THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN ARM (one of my all-time favorites and one of Sinatra's best performances)

* THE DAYS OF WINE AND ROSES

Notice that there are no Irwin Allen movies on  my list . . .

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
dean

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2005, 11:34:58 AM »

I gotta agree with Scottie on the surrealist [serious] films.  I just saw 'Belle de jour' the other day and it was great, and not stupid at all, plus Blood of the Poet is pretty good too.

Sure not all of them are particularly serious all the time, but that doesn't necessarily translate to stupid.

Hmmm... this is an interesting topic, and I think I'll have to mull it over a little longer.

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Shadowphile
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2005, 06:06:31 PM »

I'm going to have to say Boondock Saints.  A movie full of ideas that shouldn't work but do, excellent acting, unreal characters and scenes that shouldn't be funny but are.

It also has Ron Jeremy as a sleezy mob sub-boss and Willem Dafoe as a (and I'm not kidding) homophobic homosexual.  He also looks surprisingly good in drag.  And a buddy of mine is one of the extras because it was partially shot in my home town.....
peter johnson

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2005, 09:36:21 PM »

These are all great films!
Some of my all-time favorites, and some new favorites are on here --
I want to second just about all of Scottie's nominations, and I also loved Boondock Saints, though it skirts the line --
I would disagree that Stan Brakhage's entire body of work is worthy of all-praise.  Ever see his film Deserts?  Crap.  Pretentious and dull.  Really stupid, in fact!
I would nominate Ingmar Bergman's The Seventh Seal as the most un-stupid film ever:  The debate over the existence of God/What is Redemption/What is Forgiveness/What is Existence?  Jeez Louise . . .
peter johnson/denny crane

I have no idea what this means.
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2005, 10:45:16 PM »

peter johnson wrote:

> I would nominate Ingmar Bergman's The Seventh Seal as the most
> un-stupid film ever:  The debate over the existence of God/What
> is Redemption/What is Forgiveness/What is Existence?  Jeez
> Louise . . .
> peter johnson/denny crane
>

Still pushing that SEVENTH SEAL, I see.  As always, I would recommend it on a double bill with STRANGE BREW.  Watch the sublime with the sublimely stupid and you may just approach the meaning of life.

Post Edited (10-28-05 22:51)

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Fearless Freep

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2005, 12:32:13 AM »

TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD

Haven't seen all the movie but the book was told from the kid's persective and Boo was a pretty scary character from that point of view.

I would go with "Beckett" as a not-stupid movie

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
Jim H

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2005, 01:02:11 PM »

I'd rank 12 Angry Men as one of the least stupid films out there.  Can't think of any stupid moments that aren't deliberately from the characters.
peter johnson

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2005, 05:10:11 PM »

Are you hiding in my attic again Mofo?  I thought we'd discussed that . . .
In point of fact, we have what we call CheeseFest here, with a few assorted nogoodniks come over & watch clips & etc.
The week before we left for Scotland, we had, as a double feature:
The Seventh Seal and Strange Brew.
Some of us want to make our own Max von Sydow T-shirts -- More on this as it develops(?).
peter johnson/denny crane

I have no idea what this means.
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2005, 10:58:40 PM »

peter johnson wrote:

> Are you hiding in my attic again Mofo?  I thought we'd
> discussed that . . .

Well I'd leave if you didn't have me chained up in here.  By the way, I need a refill on my bucket of fish heads.

As for THE SEVENTH SEAL and STRANGE BREW, that is kind of creepy.  But for anyone listening, watch them both and watch them now.

Another nomination for least stupid movie, 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY.  I do not agree with Kubrick's philosophy, but there is a deep intelligence at work in that movie.  I was lucky enough to see it on a big screen a few years ago (I was not around in 1968), and trust me, it makes a hell of a difference.

Shadowphile
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2005, 12:41:58 PM »

I'd have to toss Silent Running into this pile.

Hydroponic space stations?  A druidic groundskeeper?  Robots programmed to play poker?  It all makes sense in context but they sound bizarre out of it...
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  What's the least stupid movie? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.