Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:28:37 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  King Kong Lives (1986) « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: King Kong Lives (1986)  (Read 3886 times)
Lycurgus1985
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2005, 04:48:16 AM »

Alan Smithee,

To address the the box office success thing, a movie does not have to make back 3x it's budget to be consider a success.  If it even makes back all its' budget, or a little over it, it's considered a success.

Ich bin Ein mit dem Wolf..
Just Plain Horse
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2005, 01:10:43 PM »

Shadowphile wrote:

> Two comments:  
> A number of people going to see Titanic were shocked when the
> boat sank.  This says something about the lowest common
> denominator but what it says I shudder to contemplate.
>
> Godzilla 2000 was a much better film that the Matthew Broderick
> Godzilla.  It harkened back to the days of a guy in rubber suit
> stomping model buildings.  I thought it was a brilliantly done
> mastepiece for recreating the style of the older movies so
> perfectly.

I saw Godzilla 2000 in a theater (during its brief stateside run) and it remains one of my all time favorite movie-going experiences. I knew from the getgo that the American remake was going to be crap; Why? I've compiled a short list of possible reasons

*Because we cannot fathom things of such an awe-inspiring nature as an enormous creature rampaging through the crowded cities of man. Even during the 50's- when rampaging monsters where the rage- Americans just couldn't really get into it. Remember 9/11? (What? You haven't forgotten it?) This is the kind of carnage the Japanese were able to imagine decades beforehand... while we thought we were safe in pretending it was simply "impossible".

*Look at films like The Amazing Colossal Man, The Giant Gila Monster, Attack of the 50 Foot Woman, The Giant Claw, The Land Unknown and The Beginning of the End (to name a few). Now compare them to lesser monster films of the Far East like Dogora, The Mysterians, Godzilla vs. Monster Zero, Gamera vs. Barugon, Godzilla vs. Megalon and even Frankenstein Conquers the World. With the exception of Them!, very few stateside movies have managed to capture the power and spectacle the Asian films have effortlessly... nevermind the annoying cliches of the era. (made a comparision? Now add Rodan, GMK and Godzilla:Tokyo SOS into the mix)

*American studios are obsessed with remaking and (supposedly) recapturing the power of an original film. That's why Jaws, Psycho, and Poltergeist films have all had three or more sequels (need I even bother to mention the Friday the 13th and Halloween sequels? I'd better get an adding machine first...). Why make three Austin Powers films? Why did the Dukes of Hazzard film even get off the ground? Why is there now a set of Batman movies that nobody is even going to buy? No imagination, just nostalgia and a desire for a quick buck.

*After the original King Kong came out, a sequel (Son of Kong) was rushed into production that same year... ever see it? It ain't half as good... we spend more time following Carl Denham and listen to him go on about his glory days than we do with any giant apes or dinosaurs. Leave it to the Japanese to be wily and determined enough to steal Willis O' Brian's idea and pit Kong against Godzilla and revitalize a dying monster.

*Since King Kong vs. Godzilla, Kong has made (including the upcoming film) 4 films (two remakes, one direct sequel... and another Japanese film, King Kong Escapes). Godzilla has made another 26 films (one remake, two direct sequels to other films... and one American film...).

Shadowphile
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2005, 10:52:13 PM »

An interesting fact about Godzilla vs King Kong.  Depending on where the movie was released (Japan or USA) the winner of the battle was different.

In Japan, Godzilla won

In the USA, it was King Kong.
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  King Kong Lives (1986) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.