Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:56:33 AM
713389 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The Pirate Movie (1982) « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: The Pirate Movie (1982)  (Read 3929 times)
Alan Smithee
Bad Movie Lover

« on: October 31, 2005, 12:05:31 AM »

This movie is pretty bad, but bad in a fun way. It tries to be a light-hearted, family movie, but it has more than its share of sexual innuendos. Nothing about it is funny, or shall I say- intentionally funny. I got a kick out of the acting, dubbing, clunky sets, pointless "music videos", lame plot, etc. It's really lame. It's hard to believe that "established" movie director, Ken Annakin  (whose surname Lucas chose for a particular SW character's name) directed this junky CRAP. Yet it's so bad, it's good.
kriegerg69
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2005, 12:51:31 AM »

Alan Smithee wrote:

> I got a kick out of the acting, dubbing,
> clunky sets,

"Clunky sets"? Almost the entire movie was filmed ON LOCATION....about the only sets were the pirate ship interiors. Everything else was very real....that mansion is terrific.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
"Mein Führer! I can walk!!"
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2005, 09:50:24 AM »

As for the plot, it is done much better in the original Pirates of Penzance. I always wondered, though, why, if the whole thing is a dream, Kristi McNichol's character didn't dream she could dance (I've seen ship's figureheads that weren't that wooden). That point really stuck out to me the last time I watched it.

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
Fearless Freep

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2005, 10:04:34 AM »

IO saw this when I was young and easily impressed so I actually enjoyed it quite a bit

"202 push ups a day"

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
Alan Smithee
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2005, 10:47:09 AM »

You know things are bad when it's allegedly filmed on location, but looks like sets.
kriegerg69
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2005, 06:38:02 AM »

Alan Smithee wrote:

> You know things are bad when it's allegedly filmed on location,
> but looks like sets.

HUH? That's a dumb comment....What the heck is THAT supposed to mean?
"Allegedly"? It WAS.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
"Mein Führer! I can walk!!"
LH-C
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2005, 06:27:02 PM »

<>

Yes, it was strange that 'Pirate Movie' and the film version of 'Penzance' were released around the same time! What was that about?

Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2005, 10:03:14 PM »

Saw THE PIRATE MOVIE around 1984 and really liked it. The music and situations were fun. I can even hear to music now as I type this post. Overall a good entertaining movie. The PIRATES OF PENZANCE was also good, but I remember THE PIRATE MOVIE  more. Wouldn't mind seeing it again.  My daughters High School is doing the play this year.

odinn7

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2005, 08:31:04 AM »

Myself? I don't like any kind of musical at all so this is not something I would enjoy. However, it was on TV a few weeks ago (a couple times too) and my wife watched it twice. I believe she does this to get back at me for what I watch.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
dean

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2005, 08:52:51 AM »

odinn7 wrote:

> Myself? I don't like any kind of musical at all so this is not
> something I would enjoy.

Not ANY type of musical??

I mean, I understand not liking your average disney musical, or Singin' in the rain or what have you, but when there are some musicals out there which really subvert the genre, how can you not like those??

I remember last year I actually did a musicals: From Hollywood to Bollywood subject in which someone showed a clip from a musical with singing Anuses.  Not sure what it was from, and there was some male nudity in it [which isn't exactly a selling point I know] but it's hard to go past something so wacky...

That and the South Park guys seem to do a fun job making semi-musicals [though Peter Johnson may want to throttle them and fair enough too] and wasn't Meet the Feebles a bit of a musical?  

Anyway, in terms of The Pirate Movie, I don't really care one way or the other, I just wanted to go nuts about musicals... sorry!

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Scottie
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2005, 10:01:33 AM »

Singing in the Rain is a great musical! It's fun to listen to, and it is historically correct in the change from silent pictures to sound. And yes, in a way, Meet the Feebles is a great musical. Then again it is also a sick and twisted peek into Peter Jackson's mind.

___<br />Spongebob: What could be better than serving up smiles? <br />Squidward: Being Dead.
odinn7

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2005, 10:26:58 AM »

As close to a musical as I can tolerate would be Wizard of Oz and that's simply because I grew up with it.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
Scott

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2005, 11:46:35 AM »

Musicals (films where the actors sing) that I like are WEST SIDE STORY, MAN OF LA MANCHA, ROMEO AND JULIET (60's version), GREASE, WIZARD OF OZ, WILLY WONKA AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY, THE WICKER MAN, and THE PIRATE MOVIE.

I'm not crazy about the old classic studio dancing singings Gene Kelly type musicals, or disney animations, and even don't like the better musicals like OKLAHOMA. I might give OKLAHOMA another chance someday, but for now it's not in my good list.

Fearless Freep

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2005, 12:17:02 PM »

"Singing In The Rain" is a lot of fun

"Moses supposes his toeses are roses..."

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
Scott

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2005, 12:44:05 PM »

"Moses supposes his toeses are roses..."

Fearless Freeps signature reminded me of a song I made up in my youth while traveling to Indiana. There is this town called Goshen, Indiana and I had seen the road sign, so it had been a long snowy trip and I came up with this wonderful song "I have a notion that Goshen's on the ocean". Yep, we were bored out of our minds as my mother was trying to relocate when I was about 13 years old. I sang the song for a few hours. It has never left me.

Everyone feel free to sing it out loud (and proud). Yes, it's one of the great songs you will not forget....................."I have a notion that Goshen's on the ocean."

Post Edited (11-02-05 11:45)

Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The Pirate Movie (1982) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.