Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:50:39 PM
714253 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Yellowbeard « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Yellowbeard  (Read 2517 times)
Alan Smithee
Bad Movie Lover

« on: October 31, 2005, 12:23:56 AM »

I've wanted to see this for the longest time. As a fan of Monty Python, I've got to see this. And Graham Chapman was always my favorite of the bunch.

The general concensus is that this movie isn't very good and only moderately funny. It has Cheech & Chong (who I never found funny) and Marty Feldman and some of the other Python members.

I saw bits and pieces of this years ago cable tv. But I hardly remember any of it.

last I heard it's not on dvd, other than 3rd rate pirated copies.
Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2005, 01:26:38 AM »

I own Yellowbeard on VHS and I love it!
I agree that it is only moderately funny but for some reason, I still like it.
Graham Chapman is hilarious as Yellowbeard who kills and rapes anyone and anything.

The best line in the whole film is when Yellowbeard is hacking at the wall of his wife's home with a couple of daggers looking for the treasure map and says to her, "If you say you don't know where it is...I'll nail your tits to the table!" and stabs both the knives down into the table in front of her.

Another good one is when the young female street urchin asks, "Excuse me, can I have three farthings for a lump of s**t?"

The end scenes with Cheech & Chong are also pretty funny.
It's lame brained fun.

Post Edited (10-31-05 04:10)
Shadowphile
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2005, 06:06:25 AM »

"Us Yellowbeards are never more dangerous than when we're dead."

"I may be blind, but I have acute 'earing. "

"  I'm not interested in your jewellery. "

This was a fun movie.  It's a piece of fluff that you can turn your brain off and enjoy without having to think too hard.
peter johnson

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2005, 10:50:08 PM »

It could've been so much more/better --
The Pythons worked so well together as a team, and the side-projects are usually less than the sum of the whole.
I really love things like The Rutles, Rutland Weekend Songbook. Ripping Yarns, Privates on Parade, etc. etc. etc., eg:  The interminable side-projects of Python, but always prefer Python itself.  
Fawlty Towers is funny, but put a half-hour of Python against a half-hour of Fawlty and, well,  . . . sorry John . . .
Have you ever seen The Minister or A Private Function or any of the other projects Michael Palin did post-Python?  These have wonderful moments -- Brenda Fricker as a deranged Alzheimer's survivor wandering around going "No Pig!  No Pig" amidst a reek of pig excrement.
peter johnson/denny crane

I have no idea what this means.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2005, 03:42:06 AM »

I have to agree with the people who love it. I've seen this one so many times, I can almost recite it from memory. Maybe it's because we first saw it at a young age, but this was a personal favourite for a few friends and me a few years back. I can add a few more great lines.

"You remember just before you were arrested, we were having a cuddle?"
"I was rapin' ya if that's what ya mean."
"All right, sort of half cuddle, half rape."

"A son! Takes after me, does he? By the time I was twently, I'd killed five hundred men!"
"Well, he's not quite as extroverted as you."

"Ah, been out raping lad? Nice work."

"He's been just like a father to me."
"You mean he's beat ya and kicked ya and smashed ya in the teeth?"
"No, he's been kind and gentle."
"What kind of father is that? Kill him!"

And it's a toss-up for my personal favourite: "I'm gonna make you eat both your own buttocks!" or "Lambourne! Stop that man p**sin' on the hedge! It's imported!"

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2005, 11:43:06 AM »

I didn't find it even moderately funny, but I still enjoyed it, beyond all reason. Probably because the cast sucked me into it. You can't really go wrong with a cast that includes . . .

Graham Chapman, Peter Boyle, Cheech Marin, Tommy Chong, Peter Cook, Marty Feldman, Michael Hordern,  Eric Idle, James Mason, John Cleese, Kenneth Mars, Spike Milligan, Susannah York, Beryl Reid, Ferdy Mayne, Peter Bull, Bernard Fox, Ronald Lacey, and David Bowie in an uncredited role.

And if one is looking for a non-Monty Python film w/ the Monty Python cast, then one might want to try their "Wind in the Willows," as it stars most of the Monty Python members, and it worked surprising well (IMO.)

Shadowphile
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2005, 08:21:40 PM »

What role did Bowie play?
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2005, 03:36:08 AM »

The shark

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Dunners
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2005, 04:01:41 PM »

Love to see this film again, havent seen in it about 15 years, was a little too young to understand some of it but remember enjoying lots of it other wise.

save the world, kill a politician or two.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Yellowbeard « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.