Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 02:33:43 AM
714324 Posts in 53094 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  OT: Exceptionally Bad Phrases « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: OT: Exceptionally Bad Phrases  (Read 5462 times)
Mr_Vindictive
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2005, 06:08:17 PM »

Squeakmiester...your father wasn't a Vogon was he?

I must agree about every phrase mentioned here.  The one that I hate the absolute worst is "Get-R-Done" as Scottie pointed out.  I live in a very rural (redneck) area of North Carolina and apparently Larry The Cable guy is the funniest damn thing on the Earth and I am a "retard" for not finding him funny.

I see the word everywhere.  I've seen it on signs just randomly put on the side of the road, and even in legit local newspaper articles, with the word being used seriously.  

As Scottie said, it seems to be only a Southern thing.  I personally find the whole Blue Collar group insanely stupid and without any merit at all.  Some people on this board might find them funny, and I'm not trying to make fun of you in any way at all.  Actually, I feel sorry for you.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
odinn7

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2005, 06:23:53 PM »

Skaboi wrote:

> ...apparently Larry The Cable guy is the funniest damn thing on
> the Earth and I am a "retard" for not finding him funny.
>
>
> As Scottie said, it seems to be only a Southern thing.  I
> personally find the whole Blue Collar group insanely stupid and
> without any merit at all.

I hear it all too often up here in Pennsylvania...there are rednecks here of course but also quite a few people that migrated here like myself. I am one who finds no humor in that crap and apparently that scares them as it proves my intelligence is above theirs.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2005, 06:33:15 PM »

Can I interest you in this nice shirt?

Post Edited (11-01-05 18:17)
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2005, 06:38:22 PM »

Aw Trek and Skaboi....you sure you don't want one of these fine decals for your vehicle?

Shadowphile
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2005, 07:07:40 PM »

"You've got another thing coming."

This drives me nuts.  THINK!  It's 'You've got another THINK coming.'

I don't know why it annoys me so much but I'd like to take a baseball bat to the collection of idiots who use it.  Judas Priest didn't help much when they used the wrong version as a song title.....

Also, would somebody please shoot George Bush's script writer?  The man needs professional help.
daveblackeye15

« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2005, 09:04:18 PM »

"You Go Girl!"

Not only is it annoying on it's own it has to be fused with an super annoying voice that makes me  want to kill them.

Now it's time to sing the nation anthem IN AMERICA!!!

Bandit Keith from Yu-Gi-Oh the Abridged Series (episode 12)
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2005, 11:52:41 PM »

Skaboi wrote:

> As Scottie said, it seems to be only a Southern thing.  I
> personally find the whole Blue Collar group insanely stupid and
> without any merit at all.  Some people on this board might find
> them funny, and I'm not trying to make fun of you in any way at
> all.  Actually, I feel sorry for you.
>

I'll agree with you on Foxworthy and Larry the Cable Guy, but Ron White is actually a funny, witty guy.  His "Drunk in Public" is definitely worth checking out.  White's been the one who has most distanced himself from the Blue Collar tour, and is the only one who doesn't appear on the television show.

I have never actually watched the Blue Collar Comedy Tour, so I cannot tell you whether Bill Engvall is funny or stupid.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Zapranoth
Eye of Sauron and

« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2005, 02:48:04 AM »

Minor thread hijack:

Ungrammatical and common things tend to p**s me off.  Especially "free gift," "very unique," that sort of s**t.  Can't help it.  

And "the reason is because."  

And "irregardless."

And "bling."  Or even better, when it's used as a verb ("bling-blingin'," in the song "Save a Horse, Ride A Cowboy").

The word "impact" is greatly overused and I hate to hear it.  "What's the best way to make impact on this one?"

Most corporate speak is inherently vacuous and offensive.  Project this, mission that.  Consumers become clients become customers, doctors become providers, insured persons become covered lives.  Bleeecch.  All dehumanizing.

And just about nobody correctly uses "affect" and "effect," but that doesn't matter in spoken form.

And for some reason, "shill" nettles me too.  One African-American coworker of mine used to say the word "shill" about every fourth word, and it generally seemed to denote agreement.  Fortunately, I've not yet  met anyone else who incessantly says that.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2005, 05:33:50 AM »

Oh yeah, saying 'impact' when you mean 'effect' really p**ses me off. Even worse is 'impacted' in place of 'affected.' Impacted is something that happens to your wisdom teeth. I hate when another word is improperly substituted for a perfectly good one, just to sound sophisticated. But the absolute worst are the people (also usually corportate types) who think they can just stick any prefix or suffix onto any word to make another word. I've heard many examples, but I'm drawing a blank at the moment. My brain is not trained to process language in that way, you see. The one that is the obvious extension of what I've already said is the truly idiotic term 'impactful.' Imagine going to the trouble of coming up with that awkward bit of nonsense to extend the improper use of 'impact.' The word is 'effective!' Just say that!

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2005, 08:00:50 AM »

Mofo,

I must agree with you about Ron White.  When I wrote the above post, I completely forgot about him.  I don't quite consider him to be part of the Blue Collar team, eventhough he is.

He is a pretty damned funny guy, and most of his humor doesn't come from being a redneck.  I'll track down Drunk In Public.  I've only seen him in "They Call Me Tater Salad" which is pretty good.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Georgie Boy
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2005, 08:06:58 AM »

"There is no I in team"
"This is a win-win situation"

I also hate when people use the made up word "flustrated" when they mean "frustrated" or "flustered".

I hate "could care less"

I hate "consenses (sp) of opinion"

I hate "most unique" or "more unique"

But the one that makes me cringe the most.............drum roll please..............NUCULAR...........thanks dubya.
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2005, 08:09:19 AM »

Empowerment, empowered, just more corporate bulls**t. I really hate it, but working for a so called educational instittution I have to use this BS in reports and evaluations all the time.

Just about anything in lawyerese.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
dean

« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2005, 08:33:39 AM »

Wow, it seems that corporate speak is really a sore point to many of you here.  Rightly so I might add.  My own personal experiences in the matter isn't anywhere near so stereotypically corporate, but it's always funny [not annoying, as one may often feel] when people make anagrams and such out of ideas and strategies, such as, at my work, S.E.S.A.M.E which for some unknown reason is of crucial importance according to our head office [its on the wall at work but nobody reads it]  I know there is at least ONE 'Smile' in there, but for the life of me can't remember the rest...

I really do enjoy taking the p**s out of all the slogans our head office comes up with.  I guess it's just human nature to mock your superiors!

Well, at least in our country our 'leader' is not frequently miss-spelling/pronouncing words, that seems like its pretty annoying for those who have to put up with him... [though, I'm sorry to say, it is of great enjoyment to those I know around here who like to poke fun at American Presidents]

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2005, 08:42:39 AM »

Georgie Boy wrote:
> I hate "could care less"

I hate that one too, because the correct term is "couldn't care less." I've tried to explain to somebody that if you could care less, that means you must care.

> I hate "most unique" or "more unique"

Sticking degrees on absolutes - good one.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2005, 09:48:23 AM »

Skaboi wrote:

> He is a pretty damned funny guy, and most of his humor doesn't
> come from being a redneck.  I'll track down Drunk In Public.
> I've only seen him in "They Call Me Tater Salad" which is
> pretty good.
>

Well, they're the same thing, so you've already heard Drunk In Public.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  OT: Exceptionally Bad Phrases « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.