Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:39:01 AM
714351 Posts in 53095 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Rate the Comedians ................... « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Rate the Comedians ...................  (Read 8237 times)
Scott
« on: March 18, 2001, 09:54:11 AM »

Who are your favorite comedians and films? and who are your least favorite? Notice how comedians have rather short careers. The acts can get old fast and they run out of material.

Favorite:

Abbott and Costello (longest comedy film career in my book)
Bill Murray (Stripes and Ghostbusters, Caddyshack, Meetballs)
Paul Reuben (Pee Wee Big Adventure and TV Show)
Pauly Shore (Encino Man)
John Belushi (Animal House, Blues Brothers)
Woody Allen (Take the Money and Run, Sleeper, Bannanas, Love and Death)
Jim Carey (Ace Ventura)

On the Fence:

Chevy Chase
Dan Ackroyd
Steve Martin

Not Funny:

Bob Hope
Jerry Lewis
Eddy Murphy
Boz824
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2001, 01:31:18 PM »

I like Rodney Dangerfield, although there isn't much subtlty to his jokes. You're probably expecting a lot of people to say that they hate Pauly Shore, but, to tell you the truth, I've actually never seen Pauly Shore...anywhere. No movies, no stand-up acts, nothing.
Scott
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2001, 01:38:20 PM »

Rodney Dangerfield is ok, I just can't remember the films he's been in. Pauly Shore was wacky type of funny.
Brian Ringler
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2001, 03:46:35 PM »

Well, George Carlin never had much of a movie career beyond Bill and Ted but he's my favorite comedian.  The Carlin Show on Fox was awesome though, I got almost every episode still on tape.
Road Rage
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2001, 06:52:25 PM »

I like Dana Carvey, Rodney Dangerfield, John Belushi, Dan Aykroyd, Bill Murray, Jim Carrey, Steve Martin, Letterman from the 80s, Martin Short, Tom Kenny, Conan O'Brien, Louis CK, Marc Maron, Jon Stewart, and Steven Wright to name afew.
Scott
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2001, 08:01:05 PM »

I liked George Carlins routine about his "Stuff" and him having to have a place for his "Stuff".
NamelessJoe
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2001, 10:26:48 PM »

Eddie Murphy: shows us that getting caught with a transvestite prostitute usually ruins your carrer.
Mofo Rising
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2001, 02:34:22 AM »

If I had to pick a favorite comedian, it would be George Carlin.  I even had the pleasure of seeing the man live last year.  I think he gets funnier as he gets older and more bitter.  I own several of his CDs, and if you're going to take a road trip they're pretty much required.  If only I could afford his new box set.  Hell, I wish I could afford Richard Pryor's boxset too.

As far as rating the rest. . .  I'm a big time comedy fan.  I give quite a bit of leeway to anyone who can make me laugh.  I enjoy comedians like Chris Rock, Dave Chapelle, Norm MacDonald, Bill Hicks. . .

I grew up watching HBO's One Night Stand.  If any comedian can make me laugh, he's good in my book.  And comedians are a dime a dozen.  One will make me laugh and we'll never hear from him again.

If only more people recognized comedy as an art.  You may think you're funny, but try and get people to pay you to hear your stupid jokes.  You will find out very quickly how funny others think you are.
FLANGEPART
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2001, 11:53:29 AM »

What,no Marxist? Thats the most rediculas thing i ever heard. I've always identified with Groucho, and harpo's not bad either. The style still works for me after all these years. G- "you may think me silly,but could i have a lock of your hair? " Mrs Claypoole-" Why,i've never..." Groucho-"I'm letting you off easy. I was gonna ask for the whole wig." Trust me, when you want to realy annoy the pompus, free associate and go Groucho on their ass! Works for me! Hooray for Capt. Spalding!
peter johnson
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2001, 08:26:26 PM »

I agree with Mr. FLANGEPART.  You gotta have some Marxism in your life!
I think Jack Elam was/is an underrated comic actor.  Like Ben Turpin and Marty Feldman(Also both great), he used a physical disfigurement to his advantage, but that wasn't all.  He had great delivery and could do good physical schtick.  He made a lot of crap, especially in the '60's, so people tend to ignore his talent.
I also like Jaques Tati, Gerard Depardeau(Burdened as he is with a "serious actor" rep., he did more comedy than anything else, especially as a young actor.  See "Un Chevre"(The Goat) and laugh), Harold Lloyd, Keaton, Chaplin, Charlie Chase, Richard Pryor, The Firesign Theatre, Goon Show, Bonzo Dog Band, Monty Python, and Zero Mostel.  Also Jonathan Winters, Bob Newhart, Shelly Berman, Lenny Bruce, and Norm McDonald.
I can only handle Red Skelton in small doses & don't get Andrew Dice Clay or Don Rickles.  There are very few comedians I actively dislike, as anyone can make me laugh at least once or twice, even Jerry Lewis.
I've worked with Dick Van Dyke (Or Penis Van Lesbian, if you prefer) and Zero Mostel and I can safely say that the degree of funny these men are/were capable of has never been captured fully on screen -- more's the pity.
Faerie Of Death
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2001, 12:22:22 AM »

I've always had a soft spot in my heart for Jeneane Garafolo (sp.???), she usually plays such wonderfully f**ked-up characters (Romy & Michelle's High School Reunion, Mystery Men, etc.).  And another influence on me in my youth (almost as great as Shirley Temple) was Monty Python, I used to run around the house in my diapers singing the Lumberjack Song and "SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM", much to the amusement of my family.  They manage to be completely surreal and off the wall while still retaining definite intelligence, the Philosopher's Drinking Song and the Constitutional Peasant sketch from the Holy Grail being perfect examples.  And now that I'm a bit older, wiser, and potty trained, I realise that they also mocked just about everyone who took themselves at all seriously, their constant picking on the military being another wonderful example.  I try to watch them regularly, everyone needs a bit of silliness in their lives.
peter johnson
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2001, 11:49:20 AM »

Immanuel Kant was a real p**s-ant who was very rarely stable
Heidegger Heidegger was a boozy beggar who could think you under the table
David Hume could outconsume
Schopenhauer und Schlegel
And Wittgenstein was a beery swine who's just as sloshed as Segal.
FLANGEPART
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2001, 12:52:53 PM »

thers nothin' they don't know about the  raisin' of the wrist...Socritese himself was perminatly p**sed.
Faerie Of Death
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2001, 12:03:36 AM »

I cut down trees
I skip and jump
I like to press wildflowers.
I put on women's clothing
And hang around in bars!
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Rate the Comedians ................... « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.