Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:23:57 AM
713336 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  the Frighteners « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: the Frighteners  (Read 2451 times)
Scotty Xtreme
« on: January 03, 2002, 05:36:43 PM »

Noticed that this Peter Jackson movie wasn't on this site(really doesn't belong anyways).  I just wanted to get some opinions on what you others thought of this movie.  As for me, I enjoyed it myself, but only after the second time I watched it.  Probably didn't like it the first time because I was expecting something different.  I expected a very creepy, serious horror movie.  I would probably say, at the risk of ridicule and humiliation, that it is my favorite movie by Jackson(though i have not seen Meet the Feebles, and do not care to really).  I think it was well written and put together.  It is also a fun movie to watch.  One complaint is that it didn't have any really memorable line, as did Dead Alive/Braindead.  What are your thoughts on this film?
Andrew
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2002, 07:21:42 PM »

I liked "The Frighteners" all the way up until the end, then it fell apart for me.  Finding out the killer was that goofy, with the numbers being nothing more than his head count, just didn't sit well.

Other than that, I enjoyed the film.  The reaper was nice and scary looking, while all the other ghosts were good, especially Judge.

Andrew
Trevor the rat
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2002, 08:47:58 PM »

in peter jackson's earlier movies they had the certain feeling like by popping in one of his movies you were entering peter's home and his mind and they all had a similalr feeling of seriousness and the fact he made light of some of the brutal acts portrayed in his movies made it all the more disturbing. frighteners was a cool movie but i  wouldn't expect it to have the same reaction bad taste or meet the feebles would have on the common viewer.

Dead alive is pretty much a house hold word so i don't need to get into that.
Chris K.
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2002, 11:25:41 PM »

BRAINDEAD, known as DEAD ALIVE in the U.S. of A. I found it to be a over the top hillarious movie that just made me laugh and laugh and laugh. BAD TASTE had me rolling over more, but BRAINDEAD just went way out there. Many people can't believe that prestegious film magazines, like the Hollywood Reporter for instance, gave BAD TASTE and BRAINDEAD a good review.

I found MEET THE FEEBLES to be his "less enthusiastic" picture, THE FRIGHTENERS was pretty good, and HEAVENLY CREATURES to be to slow movie but intriging nonetheless.

BRAINDEAD definatelty gets 5 stars on my list for being a not-so-serious picture on a low budget that suceeds with great acting, crazy photography, over the top gore, comical plot, and being an A film on a B movie budget. That's the way to go. I hope Jackson wants to make another gory horror-comedy because I am still working on that script idea...

P.S.- On the film RE-ANIMATOR, director Stuart Gordon felt that his film had the most bloodshed due to using 38 gallons of fake blood. RE-ANIMATOR was beaten by BRAINDEAD when Jackson told Gordon that "3,000 gallons of fake blood was used"! Wow!
systemcr4sh
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2002, 11:45:55 PM »

I love the frighteners Its one of my favorite movies. I saw it when I was like 13 and it scared me but Back then I loved it so much because It scared me, But It also made me laugh, So I wasn't all scared and coming out of the movie I had a feeling of how good it really was. Its the best peter jackson movie I've seen..
Darkstar
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2002, 07:45:01 AM »

The Frighteners is a great film until the "it's not your time" ending, I even like the goofy killer.
Vermin Boy
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2002, 12:52:16 PM »

I liked it. Nowhere near his early stuff, but a good time nonetheless. Jeffrey Combs was amazing as Agent Dammers (IMHO, he was even better here than in Re-Animator), and I always love seeing John Astin, if for no other reason than being able to shout "Hey! It's Gomez!" The fact that his part here involved fighting with a dog over his own jawbone and having sex with a mummy made it all the better!
Lee
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2002, 03:04:36 PM »

The Frightners is one cool movie! The fx were good and the acting and story were really good. This is the type of energetic film making I love to see. I enjoyed The Frightners way more than Lord Of The Rings(the last 20 minutes was the best part.).
Chadzilla
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2002, 04:07:18 PM »

Cool concept, but weak presentation.  My favorite Jackson movie to date is Heavenly Creatures.
J.R. Weber
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2002, 01:21:26 AM »

I like it a lot. It's been on STARZ! a lot recently. Kind of a horror/action film, and you can see some foreshadowing of the action in LOTR.
Lee
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2002, 02:34:43 PM »

I just watched this movie again the other night. Mr. Fox is one bad driver. He crashes..what, like 6 times? Here's a question. Why is it that Dee Wallace Stone and Jeffery Combs are rarely in movies these days and when they are the movies are bad? They were both great in this movie. You really start to believe they are lunatics! Hell, everybody in the movie did a good job. The ending could of been a little better though. I can't put my finger on it but it seems like they could have had a better ending. Still a slick flick though.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  the Frighteners « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.