Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:19:28 PM
713351 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  OT: Exotic Meats « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Author Topic: OT: Exotic Meats  (Read 15072 times)
Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« on: November 04, 2005, 06:45:02 AM »

I was wondering...
Have you ever eaten what would be considered an "exotic meat"?
When I say exotic, I mean any animal flesh apart from the norm.
Cows, lambs, pigs would be the norm.

I'm talking about animals that aren't harvested by humanity on a daily basis.

Many of you have probably tasted some fine deer meat...maybe even rabbit.
But are there critters that you've eaten that a lot of other people probably haven't?

The most exotic meat I've eaten was kangaroo when I spent  month in Australia.
Now, to someone like dean, who lives in OZ, kangaroo is the norm.
Not here in America.
Assuming you can find a shop with fresh Skippy, it'd cost you a fortune.
I'd guess at least $10.00 per lb. if not more.

Kangaroo is almost exactly like regular steak with one exception.
It has a very natural robust flavor.
It tastes like it's been heavily seasoned...

What about other animals like exotic fish or birds?

Post Edited (11-04-05 06:25)
dean

« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2005, 07:01:49 AM »

ASHTHECAT wrote:

> The most exotic meat I've eaten was kangaroo when I spent
> month in Australia
> Now to someone like dean, who lives in OZ, kangaroo is the
> norm.
> Not here in America.
> Assuming you can find a shop with fresh Skippy, it'd cost you a
> fortune.
> I'd guess at least $10.00 per lb.
>
> Kangaroo is almost exactly like regular steak with one
> exception.
> It has a very natural robust flavor.
> It tastes like it's been heavily seasoned...

Well it's not exactly the norm here either [at least not where I am] but I guess it would be significantly more common to find than other countries [duh...]  Perhaps there's still a bit of a stigma attached to eating a national icon which would account for it being less common!

I have a feeling I've asked you this before Ash, but whereabouts did you go while you were down this way?  Any special reason or just a holiday?

But yeah, I found Kangaroo to be like regular steak, a bit more stringy and not as juicy as normal steak either, but still nice enough.  Not sure about the cost, but the safe bet is it's a fair bit more than steak, even here.  It's funny, since there was a debate recently about the culling of Kangaroo in certain areas where they are pests to the farmers, and a danger on the highways, because of massive breeding.  Can't quite remember it but there was something about one guy who was selling these culled kangas for its meat and was making a heap of money off it, or something like that.  Gotta love national pride...

The most exotic meat I've probably eaten is snake.  I was told it's cobra, but I'm not exactly trusting my sources here.  It was on a trip to Indonesia where there was a hell of a lot of wierd and wacky foods which we all gave a shot.  It was served on a hot plate with a lot of satay sauce so I can't really tell you it's natural flavour, but the food I'd generally compare it to would be Calamari crossed with Chicken [but then again everything is said to taste like chicken so its no surprise there!]

Also a couple of years ago at the Melbourne Show, my girlfriend and I shared a Crocodile Hot Dog, which was pretty nice as well, though the damn thing  was pretty spicy [more to do with the sauce though than anything].  It was at that moment I think we were officially doing 'coupley' things together; it was still early days and everything seemed pretty standard, but sharing that damn spicy, messy hotdog was like an official 'we're a couple' moment.  It was nice [the moment and the sausage], despite the absolute mess it made...

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Ash

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2005, 07:29:55 AM »

dean wrote:

Perhaps there's still a bit of a
> stigma attached to eating a national icon which would account
> for it being less common!

That would be like an American eating a bald eagle for dinner!
(which would be punishable by many years in prison)

I have a feeling I've asked you this before Ash, but
> whereabouts did you go while you were down this way?  Any
> special reason or just a holiday?

I spent a month in Adelaide 4 years ago in 2001.
I was on holiday.

And driving on the left-hand side of the road was a trip!
I had never heard of a roundabout until I went to OZ.

Post Edited (11-04-05 06:55)
odinn7

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2005, 08:00:35 AM »

I have eaten turtle, squirrel (f**k those squirrels!), bear, elk, deer, and naturally grown cow. I prefer the chemically enhanced meat that you buy from the store, guess I'm just used to it after all these years.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
dean

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2005, 08:06:12 AM »

ASHTHECAT wrote:

> That would be like an American eating a bald eagle for dinner!
> (which would be punishable by many years in prison)

Yup, well that shows you how much we care about national 'treasures.'  But I guess the Bald Eagle is an endangered species isn't it?  See that problem doesn't really exist here since in many areas they are becoming quite the pest because of massive overbreeding, and in some cases, violent attacks.  

Some of those things can get pretty darn big when standing up to their full height [about 7foot or so methinks] so I really really wouldn't want to get in a fight with one of those monsters [though on the most part they're nice and timid!]  

> I spent a month in Adelaide 4 years ago in 2001.
> I was on holiday.
>
> And driving on the left-hand side of the road was a trip!
> I had never heard of a roundabout until I went to OZ.

Yup that's right, it's all coming back to me now... and yes those roundabouts can get pretty crazy if you are a new driver and its a big freeway one where they add a few extra lanes to the mix!

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2005, 08:17:34 AM »

I've eaten a lot of of different meats considering where I live, but to most of the locals they are the norm.

Turtle
Frog
Rabbit
Duck
Swan
Deer
Bear (awful fatty)
Mussels
Calamari
Pig Brains
Alligator
Geese

The area in which I live is very strange.  You have the sound on one side with all of the seafood and on land it's mostly forests.  So, we get a lot of surf and turf and food most people wouldn't normally eat.  

Deer is plentiful around here, and it's not uncommon for most people to cook deer on Sundays.  I myself can make a pretty damn good deer roast.  I've only eaten turtles and bear in stews, and as I said, I've normally found bear meat to be fairly greasy/fatty.

Swans are another of those Sunday dinners that you can find around here frequently.  I've never much cared for the taste of it, but it's not bad.  I'm at a loss as to what to compare the taste to.

I haven't eaten Mussels since I was a kid.  My friends and I when we were much younger, would go around the various ditches and such and collect the mussels that would grow on the sides.  We'd do it on the weekends and most of the time we'd come back with about 10-15 each.  Our parents would always cook them up.  Now, it's extremely hard to find any, and if I did, it wouldn't be a wise idea to eat one considering the diseases/bacteria that alot of the shellfish in the area are carrying now.

Pig brains are something that I've been eating well before I can remember.  My mother's parents used to watch me quite a bit as a child while my parents were working.  Apparently my Grandfather would fix scrambled eggs with pig brains quite often for me.  He and my Grandmother have both passed away now, but I still try to eat it atleast once a year.  It's actually not that bad, and the flavor isn't too different from the eggs.  If you were to eat it without knowing, you'd never tell from the taste.

Alligator was the latest of my strange meats.  Each year, we have a Seafood Festival in Morhead City here in NC.  It's a big thing with thousands of people, and there are rides, booths, games and food.  My wife talked me into getting some alligator this year.  It wasn't very good.  We were given some fried/breaded chunks of meat that looked like chicken nuggets.  The flavor of the meat was excellent and was quite spicy but the meat was too damn hard to chew.  Imagine a big piece of cooked chicken fat, and trying to bite into it while the grease is spraying in your mouth.....that's alligator.

Of course we eat various parts of some animals that most wouldn't.  Chicken livers are a personal favorite of mine.  They are great when fried up just right.  Otherwise, we eat the gizzards, and various innards of chickens/turkeys and gravy with the gizzards in it is fantastic.  I never got into eating chicken necks though.

Well, there it is.  I've written too much.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Dr. Whom

Cthulhu for president! Why choose the lesser evil?

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2005, 08:18:00 AM »

ASHTHECAT wrote:

> >
> Many of you have probably tasted some fine deer meat...maybe
> even rabbit.
> But are there critters that you've eaten that a lot of other
> people probably haven't?
>
> >
> What about other animals like exotic fish or birds?
>

>
> Post Edited (11-04-05 06:25)

What do you mean 'maybe even rabbit'  Over here in Belgium it is extremely common (and tasty I might add). Another kind which has a small following is ostrich. Don't care too much for that.

My most exotic dish must be crocodile. Very nice too. Oh and I like horse steak

"Once you get past a certain threshold, everyone's problems are the same: fortifying your island and hiding the heat signature from your fusion reactor."

Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer? Ja! ... Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput.
Ash

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2005, 08:40:47 AM »

I said "maybe" because how many soccer moms and their families eat rabbit...or ever have.

Upper middle class America for the most part is pretty sheltered and really lame.

Post Edited (11-04-05 15:54)
Georgie Boy
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2005, 09:06:23 AM »

Let's see:

Alligator
Squirrel
Rabbit
Eel
Goat
Frog
Turtle
Pheasant
Quail
Ostrich
Mealworms
Duck
Everything available from the sea except Octopus and that fish that can kill you.

Fun
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2005, 09:12:53 AM »

Whenever I travel, I seek out exotic foods.  I have had the following (some are not meats, but what the hell . . . ):

* Buffalo
* Alligator
* Ostrich
* Quail
* Quail eggs
* Frog legs
* Whole frog (the body and the legs)
* Eel
* Squid (including squid cooked in its own ink, which makes your lips and tongue turn black)
* Octopus
* Rattlesnake
* Wild boar
* Goat
* Pheasant
* Pigeon
* Reindeer
* Venison (not exactly sure what the difference is between regular deer and reindeer, but I have had both)
* Duck (not very unusual, but I added it anyway)
* Rabbit (one of my favorites)
* Rocky Mountain Oysters (aka fried testicles . . . the restaurant actually gave me a certificate saying that I ate them)
* Escargot

There are probably a few more that I can't remember right now . . .

Post Edited (11-04-05 08:13)

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Dr. Whom

Cthulhu for president! Why choose the lesser evil?

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2005, 10:27:27 AM »

Squirrel? Isn't that awfully finicky to eat, or do you eat the bones?

Also if snails count, I like them a lot and once in Chine I had something which may or may not have been rat. It was a small rodent, for sure.

"Once you get past a certain threshold, everyone's problems are the same: fortifying your island and hiding the heat signature from your fusion reactor."

Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer? Ja! ... Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput.
odinn7

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2005, 10:53:22 AM »

ASHTHECAT wrote:

>
> Upper middle class America is pretty sheltered and really
> f**king lame.

Ow...Ash, man, you hurt me deep.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2005, 11:25:42 AM »

I don't have an extensive list:

Ostrich (ground into patties; I liked it and would get it regularly until the restaurant that served it shut down. It tasted like beef for the most part, but with more the consistency of a fried sausage.)

Shark
Venison (steak and sausage)
Wild pig
Quail

I think I had some alligator once, but I don't remember for sure. I'd get it again if it was available.

I also may have had rabbit when I was young; I know we raised them briefly, but I'm not sure if we ate them.

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2005, 11:28:28 AM »

I have had most game meat.   Elk, antelope, deer, moose, and once bear.  I have had rattlesnake once.  Also grasshoppers and ants.
-Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2005, 02:28:15 PM »

Ed wrote:

> I have had most game meat.   Elk, antelope, deer, moose, and
> once bear.  I have had rattlesnake once.  Also grasshoppers and
> ants.
> -Ed

Well, I've eaten a few ants and a mosquito or two by accident, but I don't think that counts here...

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  OT: Exotic Meats « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.