Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:53:42 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  OT: Exotic Meats « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Author Topic: OT: Exotic Meats  (Read 15069 times)
dean
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2005, 09:10:17 AM »

AndyC, that actually reminds me of a food company here I saw once which calls itself 100% Australian Beef [or at least something like that], and is declared on all its products as such, though as you can imagine, the product doesn't exaclty live up to its name.  Gotta love marketing...

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2005, 09:38:20 AM »

For more information on potted meat, check this out:
http://www.shipbrook.com/jeff/potted.html
This guy actually called the manufacturer to clarify certain ingredients (some of which are actually described as 'tissue' rather than meat), and he's even recorded a jingle.

Post Edited (11-10-05 08:40)

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #47 on: November 10, 2005, 03:07:16 PM »

I've never eaten potted meat, though I pass by it all the time at the grocery store.
And yes, it's always right there next to the Spam.
Usually, it sits right next to the Vienna Sausages...Yuck!

I think I'm gonna have to try this s**t sometime.
And that's what it looks like...s**t.

It looks like a brown paste that you can spread on crackers.
I wonder what else it would taste good on?
Scottie
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #48 on: November 10, 2005, 05:36:35 PM »

Andy C,

That link you provided was very informative. And that jingle, it was the best jingle for a product I'll never eat, ever. I might have to go out and find a can just to say I've tried it. And then talk about how disgusting it is on this page since no one else seems to care in real life. Funny how the internet can bring people together from all over the globe about a subject such as potted meat.

___<br />Spongebob: What could be better than serving up smiles? <br />Squidward: Being Dead.
Vermin Boy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #49 on: November 10, 2005, 05:42:20 PM »

Never had any myself, but there's a greasy spoon drive-in restaurant near where I grew up that serves fried alligator. This is made all the more unusual by the fact that I grew up in rural Massachusetts.

-Vermin Boy

My site: The Vermin Cave
My band: The Demons of Stupidity
?????: ?????
Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #50 on: November 10, 2005, 09:19:07 PM »

I've eaten a lot of that exotic canned meat called POTTED MEAT when a young lad. It is a weird substance that we would mix with some mayonaise. They make in  small cans because you can only eat so much at anyone given time and yes it is just a tad below SPAM and VIENNA SAUSAGES.

Had it once as an adult and almost hurled. It won't happen again unless it's the end of the world and when the shelves are bare except for that little can of POTTED MEAT.

What a treat that funny meat when you have nothing to eat.

Post Edited (11-10-05 20:39)

Shadowphile
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #51 on: November 10, 2005, 10:48:14 PM »

I'm going to lump Potted Meat Food Product in with head cheese.  For some reason, I could never bring myself to eat little bits of meat supended in gelatin.....

Has anyone even noticed how many cheese slices are actually referred to as 'processed cheese food' rather than cheese?
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #52 on: November 11, 2005, 05:28:36 AM »

Funny, most supermarkets I've shopped in carry Spam, Kam, Klik, Vienna sausages and the like, but I've never seen potted meat in a Canadian grocery store. I suspect it's because some of the less meaty ingredients don't pass muster with the government. Spam has the reputation, but there seems to be solid evidence that potted meat is far less edible.

Even some of the less objectionable sounding ingredients are pretty gross. Mechanically separated chicken sounds very nice, but upon further investigation, it seems to involve putting chicken carcasses (stripped of any good meat) through a machine that works rather like a garlic press to separate the remaining meat from bone. Now there's an image.

And you really have to admire a product that mashes the less desirable parts of beef, pork and chicken together into one homogenous paste.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #53 on: November 11, 2005, 02:56:54 PM »

Ah, lutefisk. The great Norwegian delicacy. The one where my mother has seen a dog go up and smell it, then lift its leg and urinate on it.

While not of Norwegian descent myself, I was born and lived my first five years of my life in an area of the country that was predominantly Norwegian. Never had it then, but after graduating from high school, I went back to college in that area, and once an year, on some Norwegian holiday, the college cafeteria would serve Norwegian food in the cafeteria, and lutefisk being one of the foods served. That is the first time I can remember having it. And it is one of those foods that tastes better then it sounds.

BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #54 on: November 11, 2005, 03:05:48 PM »

Not a southerner by birth, but my mother's people, both on her father's side and her mother's side, were from the South. Maybe that's why I ate both of them, both pickled pigs' feet and pickled eggs, as a child. Though, I haven't had neither one for a long time. For different reasons. Pickled pigs' feet, while I can still find 'em in the store, now that I'm older, I can't stand the way they look. As for picked eggs, I eat 'em in a minute. They're just as not as common in stores, as they use to be.

BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #55 on: November 11, 2005, 03:14:36 PM »

Hey, don't say that to the restaurants in the town in which I live. As they have emu on the menus as an exotic game bird. Actually, a few years ago, where I live,  there was a fairly large market for emu, as an alternative to beef. That is until the demand for it went south, and it never has come back since, except for the few restaurants in the area, that still serve serve emu as an exotic game bird.

BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #56 on: November 11, 2005, 03:20:51 PM »

It makes good sandwiches. Actually, there are two types of potted meat. Potted ham, which is just ham and other pork by-proucts, and potted meat, which includes by-products from other animals, besides pigs. (IMO) potted ham tastes better then the other potted meat, but I usually buy the potted meat, because it is a little bit cheaper than potted ham.

trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #57 on: November 11, 2005, 03:34:25 PM »

Hey, I've eaten  my share of potted meat and deviled ham in those little cans. Potted meat is pretty good on crackers or Fritos.

I've eaten some deer, but didn't care for it at all. I've also had buffalo burgers, they were okay. When I was stationed in the Aleutians, a lot of guys hunted caribou. I was never brave enough to eat it because it really stunk while you were cooking it. We did fry up a lot of halibut in beer batter there and had plenty of smoked salmon (all fresh caught).

The one thing I would never ever try was tripe. I also lived in Scotland for two years and I never had any inclination to try haggus, but I did go to Holland once and we had smoked eel on a bun.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #58 on: November 11, 2005, 03:54:28 PM »

Head cheese. Like potted meat, that's something else that makes a good sandwich. I'll have took for it, the next time I'm in the store.

Shadowphile
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #59 on: November 11, 2005, 09:50:44 PM »

trek_geezer wrote:

I did go to Holland once and we had smoked eel on a bun.

There is a bad joke there, just screaming to get out.....
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  OT: Exotic Meats « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.