Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:17:24 AM
714234 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  PHANTOM FROM 10,000 LEAGUES (1955) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: PHANTOM FROM 10,000 LEAGUES (1955)  (Read 886 times)
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: November 19, 2005, 02:36:15 PM »

This movie is very close to being as bad as some of Ed Wood's no-budget stink bombs.  At least Ed's characters were flamboyant and interesting (in a silly way).  THE PHANTOM FROM 10,000 LEAGUES has nothing but dull characters played by actors who read their lines in choppy, emotionless performances.  And the direction is nearly non-existent.  Most of the dialogue scenes are set up like this:

One character is standing in a room or on the beach or someplace.

Another character shows up.

They talk to each other, face-to-face, standing still, arms straight down by their sides . . . no gestures, no emotion, no moving around, nothing.  Just two "talking heads."

Even the sets are dull.  Most of the interior scenes take place in houses or offices that are basically square rooms with one or two pictures on the wall and a couple of pieces of furniture.  I've seen high-school plays with better set designs.

The monster (a really fake looking undersea creature) is good for a few laughs.  Unfortunately, it doesn't show up often enough to relieve us all from the boredom.

A classic snooze-fest that would make a pretty good double feature with ATTACK OF THE GIANT LEECHES (which is a classic compared to this piece of crap).

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Shadowphile
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2005, 03:18:27 PM »

I have this one buried somewhere around the apartment.  I think I picked it up for 88 cents.  Given the review, I have to track it down and watch it.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2005, 09:58:32 AM »

I tried to watch this one a while back. Got it with a bunch of bargain DVDs. I just couldn't do it. The movie would not hold my attention. It was too cheap, too crappy and too damn slow even for me. I had to take it out and put something else in.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2005, 09:21:55 PM »

This film has menaced B-movie fans long enough. Buyer beware ! ! ! This is a boring film even for mosnter fans. If you see this box art or title do yourself a favor and turn away. It's not even worth a look.

Flangepart

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2005, 12:43:02 PM »

Bad film? Heh, worse then that stuff  you scarped off your teeth this morning.
Funny? I think so, in fact, it was my 23rd "Roll yer own" MST!
Ah, if only Mike and the Bots had gotten this...thing...

A hero named Ted Baxter ( Oh, Louuuu!), a doughy guy named Grant, A wall full of spearguns (the Marine Biologist version of a gun rack!),  Turtle tormenting, a monster who just gets fat on chubby sailors and skindivers, a slightly cranky scientest, and....
THE DINGY OF DEATH!
I mean it! This same white row boat gets in every on the water scene! The hero uses it when he KNOWS there is a monster in the water, but does he put a trolling motor on it even? Nooooo!....
Oh, The riffing came hot and heavy with this movie...kinda like a horney John Candy...Ya know, "Hot and heav-oh, that was grose, wern't it?...never mind...

Still a riff fest though...

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  PHANTOM FROM 10,000 LEAGUES (1955) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.