Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:21:02 PM
714351 Posts in 53095 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  OT:Had to get it off my chest « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: OT:Had to get it off my chest  (Read 5617 times)
ThadC
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2005, 07:29:58 PM »

Thanks Ed. My mom will be proud... :)

(((Little purple bunnies live in my sock drawer, and they tell me to burn things.)))
Crazy people have more fun.
Susan
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2005, 08:00:42 PM »

that's pretty cool thad- usually it's the woman who moves for the man. Do you think you'll live there the rest of your lives? Life is a journey. Some of the food you miss you can order online, don't you think? Or have family/friends send you a goodie box and you can turn around and do the same for them.

ThadC
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2005, 05:46:30 AM »

Susan... I dont know how long we will stay here. We talk about moving to the US, but it is just too hard on our 6 year old right now. We are trying to teach her English, and she is picking it up pretty fast. Just do not want to cause her any problems by moving too soon. My mother tries to send me stuff once in a while, but she is on a real tight budget, and so are we for the most part. It is hard to get food items shiped here because if it is fresh stuff by the time it gets here it is stale. We do send some things back and forth... like this brown cheese my mom likes, and ranch dressing packets I cant get here.

(((Little purple bunnies live in my sock drawer, and they tell me to burn things.)))
Susan
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2005, 08:11:15 AM »

Thad - kids adjust. Take it from a military brat who lived overseas in various countries until I was 8. I hated saying goodbye to friends and switching schools as any kid does, but i wouldn't trade those experiences for the world. I think it made me the person I am today and quite a bit more appreciative of the world as a whole, as well as my own country moreso than i feel other people tend to be.  But it's always a judgement call, some kids really need stability.

Well missing home will make you appreciate it all the more whenever you return to visit or live. Nobody really knows where they'll be in 5 years. I remember the first time I saw a mall I said "Wow, this is like the airport!". America had a different feel to it, lots of junk food i'd never seen before and fast food places and all these recreational places. People take it for granted just being able to go to the video store and renting a good b-movie, stopping by wendy's to get a frosty to put in the freezer for later and ordering in pizza with beer. We're really the land of junk food. Are there stores open 24 hours there? I know when i was in germany everything closed at a specific time. It was even like that here just over 10 years ago, now you can go shopping and get food anytime you want.

odinn7
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2005, 08:46:55 AM »

You decided to move there because you wanted to make it easy on the kid? Very admirable. That was quite a thing to do.
Good luck to you.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
ThadC
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2005, 09:34:08 AM »

Over all it was just easier on her daughter for me to come here. I have moved around alot, and my family has gotten used to me being away for years at a time. Her family is real close, and would have been hard for all of them for my wife to go to the states. I have adjusted a bit to Norway, but still miss little things. No big deal. We were on our way back from the store a few minutes ago, and a big ass moos was in the road. They have to be the goofiest looking things.

Zapranoth
Eye of Sauron and

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2005, 12:52:25 PM »

I lived in Alaska (near Anchorage) for years, and I've got to say that moose are so homely that they're adorable.  Quite the mournful look they have, though.  Saw a moose almost walk into the Wal-Mart in downtown Anchorage one day.

Also like Anchorage, you're in the land of serious seasonal light variation.  It's hard to take, or at least it was for me; in Anchorage, days get as short as 5 hrs and change, and as long as 19 hours.   During the wintertime it's hard to get out of bed, and in the summertime it's hard not to paint your garage at midnight...

And my mom's side of the family is all Norwegian, and I must agree with you about the Scandinavian ethnic food comment.  Avoid!  I've never tried sheep's head or the fish cakes, but I think we've all had lutefisk forced on us once in our lives in my family.

It's admirable, I agree, that you have moved to make it easier for your little girl.
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2005, 03:40:25 PM »

ThadC wrote:

> Susan... I dont know how long we will stay here. We talk about
> moving to the US, but it is just too hard on our 6 year old
> right now. We are trying to teach her English, and she is
> picking it up pretty fast. Just do not want to cause her any
> problems by moving too soon.

Well, kids pick up new languages much faster than adults.  The older one gets, the harder it is to pick up a new language.  So I wouldn't worry about her being able to pick up English, she'll learn it in no time flat.

Of course, there are a multitude of other problems with moving children.  If there's one thing kids really don't like, it's change.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Flangepart

« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2005, 03:50:14 PM »

Man. Now i'm thinkin' of the great B-movie " Terror in the midnight sun." A great cheese fest ( As Andrew can tell ya), with one of the greatest lookin brunetts this side of Betti Page...Yowsa!

Hope the tran-atlantic problim gets solved to everyone satisfaction.

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
Chopper
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2005, 06:50:35 AM »

well congrats ThadC. it seems the net is becoming the new dating/meeting ground of the future. i've been hearing about a lot of people who have met their wives or girlfriends online. i think it has it's advantages and disadvantages like everything else. it can help shy people meet, or people who live a ways from each other but are extremely compatible.

however it can also be a little wierd meeting someone for the first time when you already know their underwear color. guess everything's a risk!
Flangepart

« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2005, 11:47:08 AM »

Waitaminuit,waitaminuit...he said he misses the Sci-Fi channel...he MISSES THE SCI-FI CHANNEL!.....if that statment is not based on the need for riffable movies, ala MST3K...i weep for your one proud mind....( Shudders )...

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
ThadC
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2005, 12:34:40 PM »

LOL, yeah they don't even air MST3K here either.

ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2005, 12:50:09 PM »

ThadC, I lived in Charlotte back in the early 80's.  I worked in LE in York County (City of Rock Hill, then York Co. SO, including doing some training with the marksman teams) in the 90's.  I have several family members and friends on the PD in Charlotte.  You like the long rifle, eh?  My personal longest shot is 1200 yds.

I spend a couple of days in Norway in 1979.  I was not there very long, but I have always remembered it as a very friendly place.

Sorry I did not post earlier, but I've been repairing the old 'puter.  Small world, 'eh?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
ThadC
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2005, 01:01:38 PM »

Hey ulthar.. it is a small world sometimes. I think my distance varied depending on the choice of weapon I was using. Most of the time I was using a FR-F2 (600 meters) or a L96 Accuracy International also (600 meters), but on a few rare trips I got to use a Barrett 82a1 (1000 meters)... that sucker kicked like a mule even with recoil compensation.

Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  OT:Had to get it off my chest « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.