Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:37:25 PM
714349 Posts in 53094 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Lurkers « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Lurkers  (Read 4530 times)
trekgeezer
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

We're all just victims of circumstance

« on: December 02, 2005, 02:34:35 PM »

Are there really 50 lurkers out there trolling our board, or is that just some weirdness that hasn't been worked out.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
odinn7

« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2005, 02:37:46 PM »

I was thinking the same thing. I kind of like being able to see who's on but at the same time, seeing all those "guests" makes me feel like I'm being watched. Who are all these people? Is it a government conspiracy? Are they aliens looking to get us?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2005, 03:04:31 PM »

Probably of a combination of things.  Some are probably lurkers (or casual browsers), some regulars who not reset their cookies yet (log off, log back on) per Andrew's suggestion and some may be regulars/others who just don't allow cookies in their browser.

The Net's a big place.  It would not surprise me if we did have that many or more casual browsers at any given time.  This site is well established.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
odinn7

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2005, 03:13:25 PM »

ulthar Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> The Net's a big place.  It would not surprise me
> if we did have that many or more casual browsers
> at any given time.  

Stop it. You're scaring me.

ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2005, 03:18:35 PM »

odinn7 Wrote:
>
> Stop it. You're scaring me.
>

Or maybe we just get counted more than once?  You know, cuz we're so important and we post a lot.

:)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
odinn7

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2005, 03:21:18 PM »

ulthar Wrote:
> odinn7 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> >
> > Stop it. You're scaring me.
> >
>
>
> Or maybe we just get counted more than once?  You
> know, cuz we're so important and we post a lot.

Oh yeah, I hear ya. We post alot so therefore we ARE important. Excuse me while I pound on my chest....

Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2005, 03:40:19 PM »

It is kind of strange to see so many "guests" listed.

We're currently at 75 guests

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2005, 05:07:32 PM »

No, there really have been that many guests.  As I am looking at it, we have 64 guests right now.

In general, the system checks the stats for users every 60 seconds.  It then updates the listing.  I believe that guests are counted immediately, because of the way the system works.  It keeps track of guests by IP address, so the number is the number of unique I addresses that have looked the message board in the last few.

Now, search engines, worm programs, and spamming software will also affect the count.

The system counts a user as "logged off" if they have not done anything in 15 minutes.

The site sees around, if I remember correctly, 350,000 visitors per month.  That means about 11,000 people per day, who look at, on the average, something like 6 to 8 pages each.  The guests count is probably correct.  I should check the stats and see if that still holds true.

I can turn off the guest count, without affecting the tracking of everyone who is logged in, if it is annoying.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
ThadC
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2005, 07:09:14 PM »

It is a little strange to see people just looking at what we say to each other. I think if they are going to poke in, they should say howdy or something. It feels a little like some strangers looking in your window. I may still be new to this board, but I like it here so I try to be sociable. Just my thoughts on the subject.

(((Little purple bunnies live in my sock drawer, and they tell me to burn things.)))
Crazy people have more fun.
odinn7

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2005, 02:36:52 PM »

We've got 80 guests right now...I think they're spies from other movie boards trying to see all our secrets.

"I can turn off the guest count, without affecting the tracking of everyone who is logged in, if it is annoying."

Doesn't really bother me though it is interesting to see those numbers.

raj

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2005, 05:55:14 PM »

Not annoying Andrew.  I think it's kind of neat.  Sort of like we're all the cool kids and the guests are hanger oners who want to join in the cool group.  (At least, that is how I'm going to interpret it.)
Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2005, 09:51:21 PM »

It's a neat feature. Never realised though Andrew once mentioned the mega amount of visitors to his site in the past. Welcome guest...........................................

dean

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2005, 11:08:21 PM »

I've said this before [but the post dissappeared, 'guest' conspiracy anyone?]

But, they're out there, watching me, I can feel their eyes, staring at me, JUDGING ME!!!!!!  I NOW KNOW YOU'RE OUT THERE!!!!!!!

[grabs shotgun and rocks erratically on chair whilst eyeballing computer screen]

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Scottie
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2005, 01:23:35 AM »

I think we all lurked on this site for a while before finally summoning the courage to make a post. Even Andrew must have lurked... somehow.

Anyways, the moral is that these people are not a threat, but that each one of them is instead a potential bad movie lover who may one day become an active contributor to this super awesome message board. I enjoy being able to see how many people are interested in seeing what we are talking about, because I know someone out there is going to reference something they saw on this site at some point in their life, and when that day happens, they just might come back and thank us all with a million dollars. The Guest featurette is quite nice.

I'm serious though, this message board totally rocks socks with boxes of lox. [emotion] I get so much out of talking to all of you. I'd like to thank each and every one of you for continuing to make bad movies enjoyable into my fifth year of consciously watching them, and just for keeping cinema alive in general. Thanks guys! [/emotion]

Thank you Andrew.

___<br />Spongebob: What could be better than serving up smiles? <br />Squidward: Being Dead.
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2005, 03:20:01 AM »

ThadC Wrote:
> It feels a little like some strangers
> looking in your window.

Yeah, it kinda does.  
But I think it's kind of fascinating and I like it.
Can you imagine the conversations that we'd have if they all joined up as members?
It is a little shocking to realize that they've all been watching for a long, long time and none of us except Andrew knew.

We were all totally oblivious.

It's like we all sat in a giant room talking for years with the shades drawn and now they've suddenly been opened.
We look out and see strange faces peering in at us through those windows Thad mentioned.

I personally cannot and probably will never understand the mindset of one who just watches rather than participates.
You all know me.  Can you imagine me just sitting back and watching all the time?  
Not a chance!

But I do understand that there are a lot of people who prefer to just watch and that's cool.
Whatever works for them.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Lurkers « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.