Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:44:49 AM
713389 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  "Aeon Flux" Bombs! « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: "Aeon Flux" Bombs!  (Read 14704 times)
nobody
Bad Movie Lover

« on: December 04, 2005, 06:02:12 PM »

So, "Aeon Flux", which cost $62 mill to make, only brought in an estimated $13 mill this weekend. That puts them $49 mill in the hole- not counting whatever they spent on advertisments (which was a ton, as anyone who owns a TV can tell you).

I'm a big fan of the cartoon, but the movie had little to no appeal to me. I read a ton of horrible reviews on Rotten Tomatoes, but I'm wondering if anyone here saw it. If so, what did you think?

BTW, it's nice to see Phorum back up and running again.

"Television is an invention that permits you to be entertained in your living room by people you wouldn't have in your home."  
(David Frost)
odinn7
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2005, 08:50:41 AM »

I suspected it would bomb. The commercials really gave you nothing that would make you want to go see the film. I think that the only draw would be for major fans of the cartoon but nothing for anyone else. Theron is ok but they missed a major point when they didn't cast some hottie (Kate Beckinsale, anyone?) which at least would have made me and possibly some other men want to see it. I thought Hollywood understood this...if you've got no story, at least stick a hottie in the film in some tight fitting clothes. It's quite simple really.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
Dunners
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2005, 11:20:53 AM »

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeexcellent. I'm so goddamned sick of this movie and Charlize theron because of all the f**king annoying tv spots and ads online. Heres hoping it dissapears by next weekend.

save the world, kill a politician or two.
Gerry
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

It's not what you say, it's how you say it.

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2005, 01:12:15 PM »

The sad thing is that Charlize Theron was badly injured (neck injury) making this flop, an accident which will likely cause her problems for the rest of her life.  

Kind of like the maiming of John Travolta's career and credibility caused by BATTLEFIELD EARTH...
ThadC
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2005, 01:34:27 PM »

Do these people who make these movies have any idea what scifi fans want? Do they even care, or are we to forever be doomed to crappy holywood f**k ups that ruin our favorite stories?

(((Little purple bunnies live in my sock drawer, and they tell me to burn things.)))
Crazy people have more fun.
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2005, 01:37:47 PM »

My question is wether or not any of you have seen Aeon Flux?

Didn't think so.

See, I haven't either, so I'm not going to give an opinion on it.  From what I have read though, it's not a crappy Hollywood action flick but something more along the lines of Equilibrium and Gattica.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
akiratubo

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2005, 01:39:32 PM »

Them: "Aeon Flux?  Wasn't that some weird cartoon on MTV?  I don't remember it much."

Me: "They're making a live-action movie about it."

Them: "Really?  Uh, great.  I don't think I'll go see it ..."

This is usually the conversation I had with anyone to whom I mentioned the Aeon Flux movie.  I didn't figure it would do well.

I only saw one episode of Aeon Flux at a friend's house.  I remember that I didn't like the art or animation, and that there were many close-ups of tongues.  Going to see the movie isn't on my to-do list.

Added "them" and "me" for clarity.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
odinn7

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2005, 02:00:12 PM »

Skaboi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My question is wether or not any of you have seen
> Aeon Flux?
>
> Didn't think so.
>
> See, I haven't either, so I'm not going to give an
> opinion on it.  From what I have read though, it's
> not a crappy Hollywood action flick but something
> more along the lines of Equilibrium and Gattica.
>
>

It very well may be but my point was that with all the advertising they did with the film, nothing really makes you WANT to go see it. Do you know what I mean? The ads are somewhat bland for lack of a better word. I will probably see it when it hits DVD and until then I can't say if it's good or bad just that I won't be seeing it in the theater.

Scottie
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2005, 02:00:35 PM »

The show is wildly popular in some groups of animation fans. The show's animation director has had a wild past and is a known womanizer. Peter Chung has among his credits, done animation for the original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Rugrats, The Animatrix, and even The Transformers Movie. However, read this e-mail and tell me it's not one of the most obscene things you have ever read:

From Peter Chung's e-mail to some of his friends:

So I've been in Korea for about a week and a half now and what can I say, LIFE IS GOOD....

I've got a spanking brand new 2000 sq. foot 3 bedroom apt. with a 200 sq. foot terrace running the entire length of my apartment with a view overlooking Korea's main river and nightline......Why do I need 3 bedrooms? Good question,.... the main bedroom is for my queen size bed,...where CHUNG is going to f**k every hot chick in Korea over the next 2 years (5 down, 1,000,000,000 left to go).... the second bedroom is for my harem of chickies, and the third bedroom is for all of you f**kers when you come out to visit my ass in Korea. I go out to Korea's finest clubs, bars and lounges pretty much every other night on the weekdays and everyday on the weekends to (I think in about 2 months, after I learn a little bit of the buyside business I'll probably go out every night on the weekdays). I know I was a stud in NYC but I pretty much get about, on average, 5-8 phone numbers a night and at least 3 hot chicks that say that they want to go home with me every night I go out. I love the buyside,.... I have bankers calling me everyday with opportunties and they pretty much cater to my every whim - you know (golfing events, lavish dinners, a night out clubbing). The guys I work with are also all chilll - I live in the same apt building as my VP and he drives me around in his Porsche (1 of 3 in all of Korea) to work and when we go out. What can I say,.... live is good,... CHUNG is KING of his domain here in Seoul.....

So,.... all of you f**kers better keep in touch and start making plans to come out and visit my ass ASAP, I'll show you guys an unbelievable time....My contact info is below.... Oh, by the way,... someone's gotta start fedexing me boxes of domes,...I brought out about 40 but I think I'll run out of them by Saturday.....

I like Peter Chung's work because of its original look and the fact that it helped keep MTV's head above water during the mid-90's. When they dropped this show along with other shows like Daria and Beavis and Butt Head, a lot of their fanbase dropped out. And, well, we all have a good idea of what the network's problem is now.

___<br />Spongebob: What could be better than serving up smiles? <br />Squidward: Being Dead.
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2005, 02:06:23 PM »

Odinn,

The post wasn't directed towards you but to others.  

I agree about the ads.  They are pretty bland, and don't really give you any info about the movie.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
BeyondTheGrave

Punks not Ded sez Rich

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2005, 02:08:42 PM »

Ok I  have seen it. Let me first say and some of the board may all ready know this that I am a huge Aeon Flux fan. I have all 3 bootlegged dvd and planning to buy the legit set that came out. I watcthed it when  it was on MTV as a kid. Needless to say It did have a influnce on me.

Now on to the movie in a nutshell

It started out very promising. After a disease wipes out most of the human race and finally cured the rest of the human race lived in a place called Bregna the last city left on Earth.No one ventures outside it walls because nature got to wild it seems. Aeon works for a rebel faction that want to take down the "All too perfect govement" that seems to be stealing the citizens for experments. She assigned to kill Trevor Goodchild, head of Bregna.

After the first 40 mins the movie just goes down hill. Not to give anything a way it starts to get into cloning how people say it right or wrong Aeon taking the first option. To be honest I just didn't care. It felt like it was getting too politcal with the cloning being a issue now a days.

Their a couple of thing here and there for fans(not many I see) including names of charaters and a scene ripped from the cartoon. Aeons(up in till the end) personality and moves are very much like the cartoon which was cool but not enough to save it from a boring and too political overtoned story.

I can't recommend to anyone really. Even fans.

Most of all I hate dancing then work,exercise,people,stupidpeople

odinn7

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2005, 02:29:18 PM »

I know Skaboi, I was just trying to clarify my position on the whole thing.

Tamamushiiro
New Visitor

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2005, 03:22:08 PM »

Oh, bummer. My aunt is a fan of the series, and she's going to go see the movie. I was going to go if there wasn't anything else new in my local theater, but not being a fan of the series, I guess I won't now.

Does anyone know if it's as bad as the newer War of the Worlds? (God, I hated that movie.)
Flangepart

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2005, 04:26:08 PM »

you think it would have done batter if they had left the "L" out of the title?

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
dean

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2005, 06:55:02 PM »

Well this news certainly sucks...

When I heard they were doing a movie version of the cartoon I kind of did a double take.  To anyone who's watched the show, you would know that it's structure wasn't exactly suited to a full length film, but that was ok, it sounded somewhat promising.

Then I found out Charlize Theron was going to be in it, and my heart drooped a bit further [she annoys me greatly] but then I saw a trailer, and saw the look of Theron and the film in general and thought: well it actually doesn't look too bad.

Then I got kind of excited, putting it on my 'to see in cinemas list' but now I'm hearing it sucks, and well that's dissappointing.

We haven't got any ads out here yet, but then again it's probably a couple of months off.  I'm still going to see it, but the more and more I think about it, the more I think that this movie is not going to capture the essence of Aeon Flux the cartoon series.

I liked the cartoon because it was Surreal, odd, and the protaganist didn't always win/you didn't always know who the bad guy was.  That was great, and so were all the wierd goings on in the cartoon [cold meat and mutton pie anyone?]

But I find it hard to believe that a blockbuster film starring Charlize Theron would risk going the surreal line [maybe Akiraturbo can enlighten me] and it seems it's trying too hard to make a point and to make it intellectual.

As for the ads that I have seen [online and whatnot], I liked them, but that's probably due to the fact that I'm a fan of the series.

I too really don't see anything to entice the uninformed viewer, especially since Scifi is a difficult genre for alot of viewers.

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  "Aeon Flux" Bombs! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.