Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 06:03:18 PM
714162 Posts in 53091 Topics by 7732 Members
Latest Member: Larryfiste
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Big Budget Films shot in an Indie Style « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Big Budget Films shot in an Indie Style  (Read 1621 times)
ulthar
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« on: December 05, 2005, 07:29:21 PM »

Scottie's post over in the Top Indie thread got me to thinking about movies I've seen (and like) that have that Indie feel to them, even if they had big budgets.

As a fan of classic pirate movies, the one that comes to mind for me is

The Black Swan (1942)

Shot in 1942, director Henry King wanted to save film stock, so he instructed all cast members to try to get their scenes on the first take.  38 scenes were shot and printed on the first take!

This was not for budgetary reasons.  This film had a huge budget, with stars of the day such as Tyrone Power, Maureen O'Hara, Laird Cregar, George Sanders and pirate movie must-have Anthony Quinn.  In addition, the fx budget was huge and the result was some of the most spectacular and intricate swashbuckling filmed to date.

So, this big studio backed star-packed film was shot with something of an Indie style, in direct contrast to modern Hollyweird shoot, shoot, shoot to the polished perfection only a large expenditure of film can buy.  One thing that bothers me in modern movies is that you can TELL they were done over until "just right."

Others?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
ThadC
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2005, 09:24:55 AM »

I kind of like the shot till perfect movies. I get real picky sometimes, and it bothers me when i can see errors in the movie...ie... car chase scene where hub cap flies off, then its back in next scene. Just little stuff like that bothers the s**t out of me for some reason.

(((Little purple bunnies live in my sock drawer, and they tell me to burn things.)))
Crazy people have more fun.
dean

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2005, 09:25:13 AM »

Not sure about the budget but I just watched Lords of Dogtown which had a very low budget feel to it, and it came across really well.

But other than that, I'm really not too sure about other big budget films which are shot in the indie style, though I'm sure I could think of a couple that could at least come close if I thought hard enough.  Which, of course, I'm incapable of doing. :P

I don't know but Wes Anderson's films seem to generally have a 'we did it in one take' feel about them, though some of the scenes seem way too complicated for the scenes not to have been redone over and over, so what do I know...

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
dean

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2005, 09:25:14 AM »

Um I should also say that I too agree with ThadC: I kind of like shot to perfection films, though it's always really good to see a quickly made film that hits the mark really well.

I tend to like the perfect ones on average more, but I generally LOVE the low budget indie cool one-take flicks when they get it right.

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Scottie
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2005, 12:26:50 AM »

I completely forgot all about Robert Altman films. His films usually follow enormous numbers of people throughout an elaborate and intricate series of events that cross paths one time or another. Some plot lines are closed by the end of the movie and others are just left wide open. Think Nashville, Gosford Park, and M*A*S*H.
He and John Cassavettes, who is another indie style director, love to just let their actors go and run amuck on stage. If one of the actors happens to cast a harsh shadow on themselves by crossing in front of a light, big deal! If they trip over something, it's okay, because the movie is more about their experiences, not their acting skill. Stuttered lines are kept so long as they doesn't break character and look at the camera. As an omniscient camera sees everything, these films flow in and out of a character's mind, and this dislocated feeling can really have an emotional impact when it finally hones in on one character. The style is very independent, though the films were made for a large budget.
Sorry I almost forgot about them. I think John would want to strangle me.

___<br />Spongebob: What could be better than serving up smiles? <br />Squidward: Being Dead.
Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2005, 12:58:43 AM »

I'm putting THE BLACK SWAN on my list. Might have seen it, but I don't recall the title of this pirate film. Interesting how they shot this film Ulthar. This will be a bonus viewing if I can find it.

BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2005, 01:23:41 PM »

"Black Swan" A wonderful film. You have to love the climatic swordfight between Tyrone Power and George Sanders. I put that one up there with some of the best action scenes I've ever seen.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Big Budget Films shot in an Indie Style « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.