Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 09:30:04 PM
712916 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  OT: Words that should be banished « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: OT: Words that should be banished  (Read 12607 times)
Zapranoth
Eye of Sauron and
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2005, 12:12:50 AM »

I really hate being asked "how's the fam?"  

To borrow George Carlin's voice for a moment, what LA ****sucker thought THAT one up?

Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2005, 03:56:37 AM »

Oh no....
Here's another one I just learned:

"Lactivist"

READ ABOUT IT HERE

(those women annoy the hell out of me)
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2005, 03:35:24 PM »

This is a tough one, because it's often not the word but the usage that annoys.

Networking - a perfectly good word if you're talking about computers, but in the hands of business types, it's bad, bad, bad. Basically any opportunity for business people to socialize. Same thing goes with "interface." Actually, any piece of technical jargon that has been misused by someone to sound cool.

Even when terms are used in their proper context, it can be annoying if the speaker thinks they're using some cool insider language. I've had to deal with somebody who liked to use words like "on-line" (and basically any computer-related terms) with extra emphasis and fingers making little quotes. "Many people these days are .....'ON LINE' ......and we should provide some sort of  .....'EMAIL' ...... notification for them."  This is just in the last couple of years. Didn't know squat about computers, but man, did she think she was the guru.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2005, 06:13:08 PM »

I hate "irregardless."

A friend of mine worked with a guy who thought it it was "illregardless" .  Now THAT was annoying.  
-Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2005, 06:06:51 PM »

Don't remember if anybody has posted this, but I hate it when people use words like "dethaw." OK, it's either "thaw" or "defrost." To dethaw something, if there were such a word, would be to freeze it. Actually, it might only apply to refreezing something you've thawed.

I heard an even more ridiculous term when a buddy of mine bought a foil stamping machine a few years back. The instructional video was clearly a homemade affair, and the guy kept telling the viewer to "unloosen" things - on the video he's shipping with his product! Nice. And it was one of those deals where he wants to keep selling the supplies to run the machine, so it's not as though he shouldn't care about looking like an idiot.

After about the second time, I looked at my friend and said, "Uh, wouldn't unloosening something be tightening it?" After that, we laughed every time he said it. And he said it a lot.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
odinn7

« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2005, 09:21:05 PM »

My dumb-ass brother-in-law says both irregardless AND unloosen. See what I'm up against?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2005, 10:35:13 AM »

Unloosen? If you're trying elicit sympathy man, it's working.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  OT: Words that should be banished « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.