Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 10:04:35 AM
714312 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  What if actors thought, "What if this is the last movie I will ever make?" « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What if actors thought, "What if this is the last movie I will ever make?"  (Read 2807 times)
John Morgan
« on: January 10, 2002, 02:45:23 PM »

If you are a Transfan, you will have a copy of "The Transformers: The Movie."  In this movie, they have many top stars doing the voices for the characters: Robert Stack, Judd Nelson, Lenard Nemoy etc.  But one character, Unicron, is voiced by Orson Welles.  Yes, Citizen Kane himself.  This movie also has the distinction of being the last movie Orson Welles made before he died.

This brings me to my question.  Do you think many actors will reconsider starring in some movies if they think that it may be their last role?  There are some really big names out there that end up in real stinker movies.  What if it were there last movie?

(Yes, I know sometimes it is their last movie.  I also know that they got to eat somehow.)
Flangepart
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2002, 03:25:50 PM »

Hummm....maby. Maby, it depends on their egos. Kurk Russel, going by the commentary track for Big Trouble In Little China, seems confident enough in his self, he dosen't mind looking goofy. He had fun with it, and that helped the show. Maby some actors just don't care, and the ones who do, are the most anal and uptight about doing something different.
Frannie
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2002, 03:34:58 PM »

How about the skin-a-max film Bruce Willis made where he is a psychiatrist having an affair with a crazy chick?
Jay O'Connor
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2002, 04:29:00 PM »

Or half of Rutger Hauer's resume :)
peter johnson
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2002, 06:48:05 PM »

Christopher Lee -- highly educated, speaks 5 languages, done some amazing pictures, Sauron in Lord of the Rings, master of his craft -- has been in some of the worst worst Mexican crap-fests of all time to pay bills.
Acting is a heartless and thankless profession -- If the Rings is his last picture, then he goes out on top where he belongs.
There's the old joke about the guy who gets a job cleaning up poo from an amimal act in Vaudeville -- he has to go into the cage with the tigers to shovel out & they claw and bite him and he barely escapes with his life.  This goes on day after day -- he tells his friend about his job & the friend is aghast:  "That sounds like the worst job in the world!  You have to shovel crap all day and your life is in constant danger!!  You should quit!!"
"What!", says the guy, "And give up showbiz?". . .
The Honn
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2002, 07:31:17 PM »

Raul Julia's last film was that AWFUL live action Street Fighter travesty with Rob, sorry, Jean-Cleade Van Dam and Kylie Minogue. Or was it her sister? Wait...do I care? Does anyone? Poor poor Raul Julia, I feel so sorry for him that I have to continually spell his name wrong.
Law Dog
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2002, 01:23:22 PM »

And How about poor Lon Chaney Jr. going out on Al Adamson's Dracula vs Frankenstein. Or dear old Bela posthumously showing up in Plan 9?
AndyC
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2002, 06:30:56 PM »

As an old Transfan from way back, I'm curious to know if the original post suggests that Welles was somehow diminished by Unicron being his last role. I had always thought it was the other way round, that Welles added a touch of respectability to the picture, and the fact that it was his last made it more special.

(Hard to believe Optimus and the other bots are approaching their 20th anniversary. Man, do I feel old.)

As for the other examples, yes, Raul Julia, Bela Lugosi and the others deserved better. In Julia's case, it was just bad luck. For Lugosi, his decline started long before, and his last roles simply reflected that. It wasn't really his choice to play crappy roles.
Cullen
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2002, 08:39:52 PM »

At least Raul Julia looked like he was having fun with the part.  Poor Lon Chaney lookec like he was suffering through out "Dracula v. Frankenstien."
Lee
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2002, 11:44:09 PM »

What was it that Raul Julia died from? It was too bad that he died after making Street Fighter. He was talented guy.
Cullen
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2002, 12:16:06 AM »

The IMdB says Raul Julia died of a cancer-related stroke.  Pity.  He was a damn good Gomez Addams.
John Morgan
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2002, 10:42:24 AM »

AndyC,

Yes, I do feel that Welles taking the role of Unicron added some bit of respectability to the picture.  (Even though I don't put The Transformers Movie in any catagory related to Welles other pictures.)  In fact, my mother, who hated any and all types of cartoons like this, was impressed that Welles was in the picture.

The sad part is, most Transfans at the time of the release didn't know anything about Orson Welles.  (At least Transfans I knew.)  Most were told after the fact of Orson Welles status as an actor and that the Transformers Movie was the last one he did.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  What if actors thought, "What if this is the last movie I will ever make?" « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.