Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:10:38 PM
714237 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  "The Music never stops....unless you use a Realy big hammer on it" « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: "The Music never stops....unless you use a Realy big hammer on it"  (Read 6070 times)
Flangepart
« on: January 11, 2002, 04:19:17 PM »

It occurs to me, that lots of songs exist that depend on a knowlage of movies for their effectiveness. "Elvis,Marylin, and James Dean" by the Bellamy Brothers, or maby " The friends of Mr. Cairo" by Jon Stewart.   What other songs come to mind  for you  guys, and espchualy about B-movies. Lots of parody and novelty stuff to keep ya' Demented....but how about serious ones, too. Hummm....actualy, it should be a pretty big list!
Abby
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2002, 05:27:30 PM »

The Lords of Acid -- they made one of THE catchiest horror/b-movie tunes ever. It references Attack of the Killer Tomatoes (they're from Belgium, so they usually say "Attack of 'Ze Killing Toma-toes") and a whole bunch of other flicks.

The refrain is:

"I wanna go see a horror movie-ie-ie!
I wanna dance with Christopher Lee.
I wanna go see a horror movie-ie-ie!
We'll go to Elm Street and have a parteee!"

Another parts goes:

"I dig watchin' zombies on a big wide screen.
Killing tomatoes and murderous deeds.
I dig Jeff Goldblum turning into a Fly-ah-high.
And Norman Bates chasing girls with a kinife!"

The song is my mantra.
Gerry
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2002, 05:59:10 PM »

The Brit underground techno grunge group Pop Will Eat Itself has a song called "Can U Dig It" that references a lot of movies and TV shows, here are some samples:

The Twilight Zone
Dirty Harry "Make My Day"
The Terminator
"Optimus Prime and not Galvatron"
"The good, the bad, and the ugly"
Frannie
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2002, 07:01:04 PM »

Wierd Al does Star Wars with "Yoda"  and the "American Pie" spoof about Annakin.
peter johnson
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2002, 07:48:40 PM »

Al Stewart:  you wander through the crowd like Peter Lorre, contemplating a crime -- Year of the Cat.
Gawd, who was that awful girl singer who was friends of Monty Python who appeared on Saturday Night Live?  Kate Bush!! Bush does a song called "Hammer Movies" that reverences & references the whole ouvre.
Death Cab for Cutie:  A band named after a Bonzo Dog Band song from the Beatles film Magical Mystery Tour.  The song itself was a parody of the whole dead teenager thing in song and film from the late 50's early '60's.
Blue Oyster Cult:  Go go Godzilla!!  A song about KAIJU!!
Bela Lugosi's Dead --
Frank Zappa's Cheepniz -- This is the lord god king of any song about bad science fiction films.  You all must hear this song:
It opens with a long rap about "It Conquered the World" & then degenerates into a fast rock number about a giant poodle dog who ravages the countryside  "Snapping off the trees like they were dry wobble on bonsai landscape -- Keep him away!  Don't let the poodle bite me!  We can't let it reproduce!  Somebody get out the pants!" -- it only gets better from there.  Funniest damn song in the genre ever!!  . . . "How many of you out there like monster movies?  I simply adore monster movies, and the cheaper they are the better they are -- true cheapness is exemplified by visible nylon strings attatched to the jaw of a giant spider . . . "etc.
Darkstar
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2002, 08:09:42 PM »

Also the song samples Walter Hill's 'The Warriors' most of it is from the DJ from the movie. I'm a huge Poppies fan.
Darkstar
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2002, 08:13:19 PM »

There's the awful Kung Fu by Ash, also on the Rumble in the Bronx soundtrack.

- Kung Fu do what you doto me
- I havn't been the same since my teenage labotomy.
AndyC
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2002, 12:38:24 AM »

There were a few tunes in the 70s or early 80s based on the old black-and-white film stars.

Such as Key Largo, by Bertie Higgins:

We had it all
  Just like Bogie and Bacall
  Starring in our old late, late show
  Sailing away to Key Largo

Canadian artist Ian Thomas, brother of actor Dave "Doug McKenzie" Thomas, also liked the old movies, as referenced in "Right Before Your Eyes," in which he wants to be...

Your Rudolph Valentino
  Pull up in my limousine
  Oh, won't you come in out of the rain
  Things'll never be the same
  And then just like Greta Garbo
  You stare like there's no tomorrow
  And you'll know what I'm thinking of

Thomas also did a really big tribute to the classic Hollywood stars in another tune. "In Old Movies" was (I think) the title of that one. Basically, it's about how all the old stars live on in their movies, and it refers to a few of the big ones and some of their more memorable roles.

If you're a country fan, there was also the Statler Brothers and "Whatever Happened to Randolph Scott," which was more of a humourous criticism of the movie industry. I believe I've read that they are big movie buffs, and I'm sure I've heard at least one other song of theirs about going to the movies.

I could probably think of a few others, but this post is just way too long already, and I need some sleep.
BlackAngel
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2002, 01:05:43 AM »

Madonna made that hit single "Vogue".  And during the end of the song, she was calling out all the 30's, 40's, and 50's actors (James Cagney, Greta Garbo, Betty Davis, etc.).  I thought that was a good tribute to those who made the great movies of yesteryear.

And on a less than recent matter, TMNT (y'all know what I mean), in the ending credits, their theme song was playing,"T-U-R-T-L-E Power", I was wondering, who performed that song?

And, also relating, TMNT II, Vanilla Ice, Three words: des-gust-ing!!!  he was probably kicking himself in the ass, but at the same time, having that big Kool-Aid smile on his face cuz' he was getting paid for doing that stupid s**t (also for Cold As Ice)
Drezzy
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2002, 11:57:09 AM »

Hello...THE MISFITS anybody?! The majority of their songs were based on old horror movies. Same for White Zombie and Rob Zombie, as well as PowerMan 5000.

And I believe that "T-U-R-T-L-E Power" was by MC Hammer.
Darkstar
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2002, 12:26:39 PM »

Turtle Power was by Partners In Kryme, the rap group who went on to do ..err..nothing.
Flangepart
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2002, 12:38:47 PM »

Good! "Lords of acid", new name to me. Lots of groups i'd never heard of. See, now i have new stuff to look for! Man, are the movies a fixed part of our modern culture. 20th century myths in light,sound and shadow. Hey, don't forget "Man or astroman", the first pro band to use film sound cuts as part of the act.
Pete B6K
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2002, 02:03:59 PM »

I've got a vinyl copy of T.U.R.T.L.E Power lying about somewhere. Found it about a year ago while rummaging through the loft. Theres probably someone out there who'd pay good money for that crap. I wish. Otherwise I'll just keep sneaking it onto the stereo at parties.
AndyC
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2002, 06:13:33 PM »

Oh, I almost forgot about Alice Cooper's song, "He's Back (the Man Behind the Mask)" that was the theme from Friday the 13th, Part 6, but also appeared on his "Constrictor" album.

I'm not sure whether songs written as movie themes should count, but seeing as this one was on an actual album, it's not strictly a movie theme. Great song, too.
Scotty Xtreme
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2002, 12:20:13 AM »

Yeah, the Misfits.  I was going to get ready to post that until i seen your post AndyC.  I am surprised they weren't mentioned sooner.  Also, no MC hammer did not do T.U.R.T.L.E.  Power, it was in fact Partners in Kryme.  I should know, it was the only tape I listened to when I was 9 yrs. old.  The TMNT phenomenon shall return someday in the very near future.  COWABUNGA!!!!!!!!!!!
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  "The Music never stops....unless you use a Realy big hammer on it" « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.