Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:42:28 AM
714355 Posts in 53095 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Best Australian flick « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Best Australian flick  (Read 11742 times)
Scottie
Bad Movie Lover

« on: December 26, 2005, 10:44:42 PM »

I guess this question is mainly directed towards our Australian friends Dean and Rombles, but anyone can answer. I want your opinion on what the best Australian movie ever made is. I'm mainly asking Dean and Rombles here because they live there and because unlike us, they can see their homeland's films on a regular basis.

This is of course assuming that Australian films are being shown regularly in their own theaters. I'm aware that America is the predominant leader in international distribution and exhibition and that throughout the world the demand for American films is the highest, so I'll have to assume that Australian films get some time and space to be shown in their own country. What are some of those films?

Do you guys get good current films year after year or do they all seem to be either good or bad. What are some of the latest good films that were made in, directed by, and starring Australians? What is the best of all time? Dean, I know you like Mad Max and that your school parking garage is even famous for being in the movie. What else do you like?

In your cinema classes, Dean, were you upset that, aside from Dark City (1998), there were no Australian films? Everything seemed to lean heavily towards French, German, and American cinema, with exceptions for Von Trier, Niel Jordan, and Cronenberg. Did your universitry offer an 'Australian' film course?

Anyways, I'm getting off subject. What is the best Australian film ever made?

___<br />Spongebob: What could be better than serving up smiles? <br />Squidward: Being Dead.
ulthar
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2005, 12:13:33 AM »

I have not seen many Australian flicks, but one I have seen and really enjoyed is

One Night Stand (1984)

To me, the story was engaging and the ending, while not quite depressing, focused the story.  If you like the Midnight Oil, the concert footage alone is worth a look.  I saw it once years ago, and it just stuck with me as one of those films I'd like to see again some day.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2005, 12:36:49 AM »

MAD MAX is without a doubt the best Australian film ever.

Another one I liked was MAD DOG MORGAN (1976) starring Dennis Hopper who plays an outlaw in 1800's Australia. You can find it on DVD cheap.

Caught this one on TV a couple years ago. It's called SKIPPY (1966) and it's about a Kangaroo and he is kinda like Lassie, Flipper, or Gently Ben were he helps out those in trouble. The episode I saw was a riot.

ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2005, 12:59:30 AM »

Scott Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> MAD MAX is without a doubt the best Australian
> film ever.
>

Of COURSE!!  How could I forget Max, Toecutter and that supercharged V-8?

{hits head against wall before getting shot by Odinn}

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2005, 01:04:23 AM »

There is another last man on earth type film from Australia that was made in the 80's, but I can't remember the name of it. I remember there was some kind of large receiving dish science center on the box cover. Don't even remember why he was the last one on earth. It was about the late 80's. Not sure though.

LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2005, 01:32:05 AM »

I agree. Mad Max is one of my favorites.

I've never seen Mad Dog Morgan, but another really good Aussie "western" is Ned Kelly (1970) starring Mick jagger in the title role.
http://imdb.com/title/tt0066130/

Another one I've always liked is Attack Force Z (1982), a WWII action flick starring Sam Neill & Mel Gibson.
http://imdb.com/title/tt0083591/

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
Scottie
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2005, 01:59:09 AM »

I just checked some sites and the new movie Wolf Creek (2005) was done in Australia with Australian actors and director.

Mad Max? Pshh. Where's Crocodile Dundee?

___<br />Spongebob: What could be better than serving up smiles? <br />Squidward: Being Dead.
Rombles
Dedicated Viewer

Stupid fat hobbit...

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2005, 07:27:50 AM »

Hmmmmm are you talking best good movie, or best bad movie?

A few that I loved that come to mind (And to make it interesting I won't specify which category they each come into!).....

Hercules Returns
Picnic At Hanging Rock
Dogs In Space
Chopper
Body Melt (see Andrew's review)
Undead (not enough Australian Zombie movies!)
Pandemonium
Malcolm
Idiot Box
Dirty Deeds
Babe
They're A Wierd Mob
The Dish
Muriel's Wedding
Priscilla, Queen Of The Desert
Romper Stomper
Young Einstein
The Cars That Ate Paris
Running On Empty
Houseboat Horror (!)
The Bank
Don's Party
Patrick

Not that I have seen it yet, but the scary thing about Wolf Creek is that the story in the movie is very similar to the details of an actual murder trial which has just concluded. The fact that such a disturbing movie can be so close to being a true story is rather terrifying.

Brrrrrrrraaaaaaiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnsssssssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2005, 08:31:08 AM »

I'm with Rombles when it comes to Chopper, Romper Stomper and Undead.  All of those are great films.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Reckless Kelly (1993) as the high point of Australian cinema......

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
odinn7

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2005, 09:10:46 AM »

ulthar Wrote:
> Scott Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > MAD MAX is without a doubt the best
> Australian
> > film ever.
> >
>
> Of COURSE!!  How could I forget Max, Toecutter and
> that supercharged V-8?
>
> {hits head against wall before getting shot by
> Odinn}

Obviously, I agree with this one. I'm also voting for Undead as that was quite a fun and visual movie.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
dean

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2005, 10:53:14 AM »

Haha, Reckless Kelly!  Actually, I think I will mention that one later.

Anyway, I guess it all depends on the sort of film you are into really.

The Australian film industry is really up and down, and whilst Aussie films do get distribution in cinemas, most of the time however [especially for the 'good' classy ones] they get shown only at selected cinemas instead of across the board like most other films.  Also there is the issue of funding, with many big budget Australian films being financed partially from overseas, so it really depends on how you classify it [for example the recent Ned Kelly film with Heath Ledger had alot of overseas investment, I think.]  Also I'm not too sure whether Dark City is classed as an Australian film as such along these lines as well [but it's great, there's no denying that!]

That being said, I'm not exactly a constant Australian film watcher, though there are some good ones out there: it just, depends on what you like!  I have been getting into more of the recent releases.

Boy, I'm going to crap on here for a while, since there's quite a few great films out there, so be prepared I guess...

Anyways, yes Scottie, I'm a little annoyed we didn't watch more Australian films [though I did see a few more in other classes that I haven't mentioned yet] and that I didn't do an Australian Cinema and TV subject at uni [they did run one, it just clashed with some other subjects so I couldn't do it.]

Here's the subject description from the uni website for interests sake: "This subject explores the relationship between national identity and international film culture and specifically questions how filmic structures operate in Australian cinema to produce identities which have both local and international resonance. Students will examine the success of films such as Crocodile Dundee and Mad Max within the context of mass culture; The Adventures of Priscilla Queen of the Desert, Dallas Doll, and The Sum of Us within the context of queer theory; Romper Stomper within a context of teen films; and Strictly Ballroom within questions of multiculturalism and ethnicity. The representation of race will form an additional focus of study. The films of Australian directors working in Hollywood such as Gillian Armstrong and Baz Luhrman will also form an area of study."

It sounded interesting, especially those on race, but unfortunately I couldn't fit it in.  Anyway I'll list off a few good films; though I am by no means the best person to talk to about this stuff [I don't have too good a grasp on many of the older Australian Cinema classics]

Rombles has a pretty good list of classic Australian Films, and a fair share of silly ones as well.  I mean really, Yahoo Serious!?!?!  Who I consider The Australian Carrot Top? Maybe not classed as 'best filmmaker ever' but certainly Reckless Kelly is a bit of fun!  I'll mention a few that Rombles already has, but I'll try not to go over too many of the same ones, especially those he listed that I haven't seen yet.

Ok let's see [deep breath]:

Mad Max and its crappy sequels are lots of B-grade fun.  As you well know.

I also really like Undead.  Yes, not enough Australian zombie films!

So is Wolf Creek which I found a lot of fun, and well made thriller [and as Rombles mentioned, one of the cases the movie was based on recently finished, with a guilty verdict too mind you]

Romper Stomper is a great film with Russell Crowe, about skinheads and such.

I've heard good things about The Rage In Placid Lake though I haven't seen it myself.

In terms of popular Australian films, one is The Castle, which is good, but maybe doesn't appeal that well to an international audience.  It is a very 'Aussie' film.  Though I've heard it didn't go too bad in the UK so who knows really.

Another film by the same makers of the Castle that I enjoyed [and actually went to see at the cinemas by myself] was The Dish with Sam Neil about Australia's part in the Lunar Landing.  Not as out and out funny as the Castle, but it was a good film nonetheless.

Other popular [as in mainstream] Australian films include Muriel’s Wedding [which I found ok, but many others liked]

Crocodile Dundee and its sequel are ok, but stay the hell away from number three.  I hate the series, however, for the fact that it's probably one of the most recognizably Australian films out in the international market [but as a movie itself, it's ok!]

The Adventures of Priscilla Queen of the Desert is interesting fun, with Hugo Weaving and Guy Pearce in it, as two of three cross dressing performers who trek across the Australian outback.

Strictly Ballroom is another romantic film which is fairly popular, by Baz Lurhmann of Moulin Rouge.

Those sorts of films above are, in a sense, regular Australian staples when it comes to films that many Australians have seen, though there are plenty of brilliant Australian films which haven't had such a widespread audience.

Recently there has been an upswing in the cinema industry [or at least that's what they all like to tell us] with the market seeming to be occupied with quality lowish budget serious dramas, targeted at what I like to call the 'Rivoli Crowd' [basically for the chardonnay 'classy movies' set]  Not that there's anything wrong with quality dramas, but I'm personally a little annoyed that the gory low budget horror films haven't taken off quite like these films:

Recent films like The Proposition and The Trackerare great, Australian westerns/period pieces.  The Proposition is nice and violent in parts too [though not in that 'hey cool, lets all shout and woop because that guy got his head blown off' way.]  The Tracker is an excellent film about an aboriginal tracker helping find another aboriginal who has supposedly killed a white woman.  Great film which touches on Australia's racist roots, and both the Proposition and the Tracker have great soundtracks [though many have said that some of the songs should have been cut from the Tracker.]

Some others that have been well received are Look Both Ways which won quite a few awards.  I haven't seen it personally so I don't really know how it is specifically, though it is rated 8/10 on imdb [though not really with that many votes overall]

Lantana is another acclaimed Australian film: 'A must see for mature realists into serious drama.' according to one reviewer at imdb.

Alexandra's Project is another recent film I saw not long ago which I enjoyed.  It's about a man who comes home on his birthday to find a video tape made by his wife in the house [no one else is around] and the 'shocking' things that happen as he watches this video.  I was engrossed by it as well, and Alexandra is pretty harsh to her husband in these videos so it makes for good viewing.

I've heard great things about The Bank Which Rombles mentioned, though I haven't seen it.

A Japanese Story is another critically acclaimed Australian film, and yes another drama/love story [though no, I haven't seen it.]

Rabbit Proof Fence is a great film which was nominated for a Golden Globe and touches on the issue of the Stolen Generation and is about the true story of three aboriginal girls escaping from the domestic life they were forced into, and trying to get home.

There's also a genre of Australian films which basically are the stupid larrikin comedies, and those trying to be like American Pie and such.  Many are made by famous/semi famous Australian comedians.  Many are terrible, and can never be classed as Best Australian Flick, but still, there's a few entertaining gems that are good for a laugh at the least.

If you want stupid, silly fart jokes and such, and know a bit about Australian culture and history, the film 'Ned' is great.  Like Reckless Kelly, Ned is a parody about infamous Australian bushranger Ned Kelly, though it's complete and utter low budget rubbish the film is hilarious, with no sense of realism at all [not that you care] and a hell of a lot of stupid jokes that are just fantastic.  My friends and I quote it often, and it's definitely up there on my favourite Aussie films list.

One film which pretty much started the larrikin comedies was 'The Adventures of Barry Mckenzie' which is 'the shameless saga of a young Aussie in Pommyland,' and as such is a classic Australian comedy, though I'm not too sure how many people my age actually know about it.

There's also the action-type crime films of which there are a few good ones.

Dirty Deeds is good [I enjoyed it] but I wouldn't go so far as to say best Australian flick.  It has John Goodman and Bryan Brown in it, and basically centres on some Gangsters in the 60s or something and has some Americans trying to move in on Australian turf and the trouble that comes from that.

Two Hands, with Heath Ledger and Bryan Brown, is a great Australian film as well, basically a crime movie/love story.

Gettin' Square is a great Australian heist film, with the excellent David Wenham [Faramir in Lord of the Rings] as a lovable criminal.  This one also won many awards, which is good [I really liked this film]

Others films in general which deserve an honourable mention are Walkabout, Shine, Travelling North, Chant of Jimmy Blacksmith, Breaker Morant, He Died with a Falafel in His Hand and They're a Wierd Mob.

But by far one of my favourite Australian films is Chopper starring Eric Bana in his first serious role.  Based on the story of infamous criminal Mark Brandon 'Chopper' Read.  This film is fantastic, and Eric Bana is great in it as well, especially considering his previous background was in comedy, not drama.  

It's just brilliant how Bana went from this, A bogan called Poiter:

To this scary mutha:

It's great to see actors mix things up a bit, and although opinions about his style and skill is different now, at the time it was truly a big difference in Eric Bana's style of acting.  Also the film itself is well put together, which is also important, highly reccomended!

Anyway I better leave it at that, or my brain will explode.  There's a hell of a lot of great films I left out, either due to me not having seen them, or just because I couldn't remember them off the top of my head, so if I missed any great ones, oops!

I also hope this gives you a vague idea of how the cinema industry is going in Australia, in terms of what sort of films are being produced here, and which ones are gaining critical acclaim, despite not very incredible box office success.  Also, sorry for the length of this, and I'm sorry, I know there's a bit of additional reading to get the proper information on many of these films, since I didn't really explain the films properly and just added on a link to imdb or what-have-you, in most cases.

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
odinn7

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2005, 11:24:07 AM »

"Mad Max and its crappy sequels[/u][/i] are lots of B-grade fun."

WHAT?!?!?!?! I seem to recall only one crappy sequel. You can't possibly be referring to MM II (Road Warrior) as a crappy sequel, could you? Road Warrior is THE greatest film EVER made!
I will certainly say that Beyond Thunderdome was an unfunny joke and I cannot even consider it as part of the Max movies.

dean

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2005, 11:29:25 AM »

I love the Mad Max films, and since Mad Max III was the one I had most access to when I was younger [and also the first Mad Max film I saw] it has a nice safe spot in my heart.  Mad Max II, of course, is an excellent film.

That still doesn't mean that they aren't crappy, as in B-grade [especially the crappiness, or should I say, silliness of having Tina Turner in Beyond the Thunderdome!]

But ok, I take your point!

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Herodotus
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2005, 11:37:44 AM »

Scott Wrote:
> There is another last man on earth type film from
> Australia that was made in the 80's, but I can't
> remember the name of it. I remember there was some
> kind of large receiving dish science center on the
> box cover. Don't even remember why he was the last
> one on earth. It was about the late 80's. Not sure
> though.

That sounds like The Quite Earth. A man wakes up one morning only to find no one around and he believes he is the only person left, but eventually he finds two others and they try to find out what happend.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089869/

Another Australian fav is Gallipoli.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082432/

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2005, 11:49:17 AM »

Dean, I was just messing with you. It's fairly well known here (I believe) that Road Warrior is my favorite film and I just had to defend it.
An odd point to all of this is that I can no linger stand Mel Gibson as a person. So now I am caught between my dislike of him and my love of this film. Life is hell.

Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Best Australian flick « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.