Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 06:30:02 AM
714255 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  When a Stranger Calls, (hang up the phone in 2006) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: When a Stranger Calls, (hang up the phone in 2006)  (Read 1790 times)
onionhead
Bad Movie Lover

« on: December 28, 2005, 04:29:02 PM »

I remember this from 1979, killer loose, terrorizes babysitter Carol Kane with creepy phone calls ("Have you checked the children?"), turns out to be inside the house, kids dead, etc.  After a bang-up opening,  Charles Durning enters 7 years later as the cop who put the killer away, now a private detective, and lo and behold, the killer has sprung from the asylum!  The middle of the movie bogs dawn as Durning chases (Charles Durning chasing anybody is not a speedy OR pretty sight) the killer, tossing knitting needles at him all over the place.  The last part of the film has Kane again confronting the killer, and the pace picks up dramatically.  
I've heard this began as a short film, with the middle part thrown in as filler much later, and indeed there is a difference in film quality here and there.  If anybody knows where I can pick up a copy of the original short, please let me know.
Now the bad news:  Remake circa 2006.  PG-13. Although director Simon West drove Con Air, I have reserved feeleings about this one.

Some people like cupcakes better--I for one care less for them
odinn7
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2005, 09:52:06 AM »

Well, in this case a re-make can't be any worse than the original. Normally I get upset about re-makes because I know they will never match the original but for this movie, there is nowhere to go but up.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
onionhead
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2005, 01:18:36 PM »

And why do filmmakers bother remaking films that are marginally ineresting to begin with, or in the case of Death Ship smell like rotten moldy cheese that you forgot to flush two days after pooping it out after washing it down with garlic milk last week?

Some people like cupcakes better--I for one care less for them
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2005, 03:08:22 PM »

I saw the poster for this earlier this week in the lobby of a local cinema.  The poster just shows a hand holding a cell phone.  There was also a poster for the remake of THE HILLS HAVE EYES.  The tag line is something like, "The lucky ones die first."  Oh, boy . . .

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
odinn7

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2005, 03:35:08 PM »

A re-make of Hills? Ok, so this I'm p**sed about.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
Just Plain Horse
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2005, 12:05:21 PM »

I might have gone to see the remake, but they went and showed the entire movie during the ad... I've probably already seen the best parts :)
raj

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2006, 10:37:08 AM »

JPH -- my thoughts exactly.  It looked interesting at first, but then they showed basically a snippet from every important scene.  There was no need to go beyond the first 10 seconds of the ad.  That's seven bucks saved.
Just Plain Horse
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2006, 03:11:08 PM »

raj Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> JPH -- my thoughts exactly.  It looked interesting
> at first, but then they showed basically a snippet
> from every important scene.  There was no need to
> go beyond the first 10 seconds of the ad.  That's
> seven bucks saved.

Yeah, that was sort of nice of them:) I wish they'd done that with Deep Blue Sea, The Jerky Boys Movie and The Phantom Menace...

"Shane, come back Shane" (only funny line in the entire Jerky Boys film, Although the bathroom scene will always be etched into my brain...)
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  When a Stranger Calls, (hang up the phone in 2006) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.