Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:23:07 PM
714238 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  OT: Squeaky Serpentine Belt « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: OT: Squeaky Serpentine Belt  (Read 882 times)
LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« on: December 29, 2005, 03:46:59 AM »

Well, for me at least, Winter always means that my Serpentine Belt is gonna start making that noise, and it bugs the heck outa' me, not to mention this is one case where I actually worry about what the neighbors are thinking.

I know it means that my belt is loose, but if I run it by my mechanic, he's just going to tell me that serpentine belts are just going to do that at certain times of year or in certain kinds of weather, and I understand that the tension adjusters on my '92 Taurus LX are supposed to be automatic, so I & my neighbors are just gonna have to put up with this darned noise.

So I'll go out & get some belt dressing. Oh, I know you're not supposed to put belt dressing on a serpentine belt, even if the back of the can says it's okay for serpentine belts, but what else can I do?

So I usually get this stuff from STP that seems to work okay, but this year I couldn't find any, so I went with this stuff from CRC, as it was the only thing I could find that said it was serpentine safe.

Unfortunately, that only made it worse.

So as I'm driving around with this horrible noise coming from the front of my car, I got to thinking, why don't they ever have this problem in the movies?
Seriously. Cars in the movies tend to have every problem except this one. Most commonly are the classic rusted out muffler or dirty valves. Sometimes they'll even go with other noises, like the blownout cylender or headgasket, or the unsynchronized carborator with worn out needlevalves, or the worn out camchain, or even the distinct sound of the distributor cap being on backwards, but never a squeaky belt.
Now why do you suppose that is?

Just once, I'd like to see a movie or TV show where a cop is tailing some crook or something, stealthfully following the suspect totally unnoticed, and then at a critical moment, his car starts making this high pitched squeeling noise that can be heard for blocks around.
That would be funny.

Well, in the meantime, I'm gonna see if I can find me one of them Chilton's manuals.

Say, while I gotcha here, does anybody know where I can find a one gallon jug of 12% Hydrogen Peroxide?

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
odinn7
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2005, 09:24:00 AM »

Serp belts with automatic tensioners will usually squeal for 1 of  2 reasons. The most common is the belt itself. The belt may look fine but they will sometimes get a glaze on them that causes this noise. The other problem that is fairly common on older cars is the tensioner itself. The spring gets weak and it allows the belt to slip just a little with every revolution. Now and then I have seen water pumps or alternators cause this problem too but it's not as common.
I know I didn't answer your actual question but I thought I'd try to help you out a little.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  OT: Squeaky Serpentine Belt « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.