Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:47:52 AM
713325 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  For christmas « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: For christmas  (Read 8497 times)
Susan
« on: December 29, 2005, 03:27:51 PM »

I've been out of town for Christmas and just got back, although I have alot of reading here to catch up on you can imagine why I haven't been posting. My Christmas gifts this year were pretty outstanding, unexpected and entirely needed. Couldn't immediately find a posting here where everyone listed the cool things they got so I'll put it here:

OUTER LIMITS: SEASON 2
TWILIGHT ZONE: COLLECTION 2
KING KONG (1976)

Also got a major upgrade to my 125MB mp3 player (this one is 1 gig, it's a Sony and doesn't have a neckstrap like my other one but it has other great features that I can't complain about). Got some old fashioned popcorn that professes to be non genetically modified and these cool novel old fashioned popcorn boxes (those small sizes they used to have at the old timey theaters). So i've been watching the DVD's for the past day since I've been back. I took the entire week off for vacation and I can't bring myself to leave the house because I love my new stuff so much...lol

Overall I think the gifts I gave to others were a hit. My brother received "Molvania, a land untouched by modern dentistry" - it's a humor book on a fictitious country but I couldn't put it down. I also like to give DVD's to people so my folks received the Honeymooners collection.

Now I have to go back to my amazon wish list and buy the movies that nobody got me, since they haven't gotten them for me already and I am too impatient to wait for Sinbad and the Eye of the tiger.
odinn7
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2005, 03:53:18 PM »

There's no such post Susan, yours is the first.

Sounds like some great stuff you got and gave.

Myself? I mostly got movies. I had a list of movies as people always just get me crap and wind up wasting their money. My wife told me make a list for people to work from. We did a "grab bag" type of thing where the family pulled a name and had to spend $50 on that person. My A-hole brother in law pulled my name and I told my wife I was screwed. She told me I just pick on her brother for nothing, he'll do fine because he has a list to work off of.
Ah, long story short, my list wasn't taken with him when he went to the store so he bought what he thought I would want. I wanted Sin City the expanded, new version but I got the $14 version that I could have bought months ago. I got House of Wax with Paris Hilton, full screen edition (I had a big note- "All Movies Need To Be Widescreen" on my list) which was not even close to being on my list. He finished this off with The Jerk which is a funny movie, but not one I want to own and certainly not among the horror/sci-fi films I had listed. To top it off, the family gives the gifts out on Christmas eve and he...uh...forgot to bring mine. She wonders why I hate this f@#ker so much.
I then pointed out to my wife that I was correct, I was screwed. I was then informed that it's the thought that counts. I don't think there was thought there, rather a lack of. Who goes Christmas shopping with a list and leaves it home? More like he just got $50 worth of movies to fulfill his obligation. She got mad at me when I returned the movies and got a Target gift card that I used online to buy the Sin City version that I wanted plus...Alien Nation! Yes! I finally got Alien Nation! Who rocks? Who rocks? Oh I do...I do...Ok, I'm calm now.
My wife and daughter also got me AvP Directors cut, Alien, 28 Days Later, and Terminator.
Anyway, that was the hell that was my Christmas. At least my daughter enjoyed it and that's what matters most.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
Susan
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2005, 04:23:52 PM »

I know, I stress over getting just the right gift for someone, it annoys me when they go half-ass on me but it's not going to change the way I choose to pick gifts.  At least you were able to return them, I don't think it matters if you return a gift. The point isnt the thought behind it (or lack thereof) but a gesture in giving the recipiant something they will ENJOY. What's the point of keeping a gift you don't enjoy? So if you can exchange it for something you DO want, I don't see a problem with it. It's better than regifting. ;-)  When I give a gift I Always tell the person "if it's not exactly what you want I got it at such and such or I give them a gift receipt". Luckily my 12 year old godson loved his Lord of the Rings edition of monopoly. His aunt sue is so cool

Wow - i'm kind of suprised - you didn't already have Terminator in your collection?  I also got "Bedknobs and Broomsticks" but i wasn't quick to admit that. It's pretty much the only kids movie I own except my VHS copy of "The secret of Nimh". One of the few kiddie movies I actually watched growing up, I wanted it for nostalgia. And I watched it right away. I forgot how drawn out and boring the end got but I still liked it. What kid wouldn't like a movie about a witch who is searching for a spell that will animate objects to help kill nazi's who are invading?

At least you didn't get a pair of stretch pants (which in themself are dated to 80s' fashion) covered in cat hair.  Thanks grandma.....
odinn7

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2005, 07:21:08 PM »

I had Terminator on VHS but it was time to retire it and move on to DVD.

Those stretch pants sound fantastic...cat hair and all! What a thoughtful gift that your grandmother gave you.

trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2005, 07:35:25 PM »

Hey, I mostly got clothes (but I had asked for some new shirts), a cordless Dremel tool with Lithium-ion battery, and the yearly Star Trek ship ornament. My brothers and I decided not to exchange anything this year since we had gotten to the point of basically just exchanging money.

The big news is that was just the first Christmas  for us. My daughter arrives back from Japan after nine months on Jan. 12 so we are having another Christmas complete with  turkey dinner to welcome her home that weekend (I have to move her back to school on Jan. 15). Anyway, I'll get more loot then from her and my son.

My son came home for Christmas (first time he's been home since June), but no one told him that we were planning on opening presents (he thought we were waiting on all that until Sis comes home). He has a big job as a Systems Analyst wilth a trucking company and makes more than I do.

Well, his two college chum roommates that work at the same company each got their parents 42" TV's. I got my fingers crossed

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
dean

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2005, 07:45:48 PM »

I've mentioned it elsewhere, but I scored a bit of loot for christmas myself.

Deadman, Fifth Element, Lady Snowblood 1 and 2, 2046 and The Shaun Micallef P[r]ogram[me] Season Trois [Old Australian Tv show] on dvd.  Two Sin City Graphic Novels, Ghost in the Shell 2: Man Machine Interface the Graphic Novel, and varoius little tidbits, such as a voucher for a facial from my girlfriend [she's a beauty therapist so is into all that stuff.]

All in all I'd call this christmas a good one!

On another note, everyone have much planned for New Years?

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Menard
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2005, 08:21:06 PM »

Dang, sounds like you all hit the motherlode. I got a The Howling DVD (second time I've been given this movie for Christmas and I don't even like it that much), a $30 Wal-mart shopping card, an old point & shoot camera, and some candy.

I finally splurged and bought myself a set of Hammer Heads (odinn7 will know what those are) and an Arachnid CricketPro 425 (uh..they can't be used together). I guess I'll count that as my Christmas present to myself.

Hey Susan; did you get the Christmas present I got you?

trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2005, 08:40:55 PM »

Hey Menard I had a present all picked out for you , but did you know the Postal Service has a rule against sending live explosives through the mail?

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
odinn7

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2005, 08:42:37 PM »

Hammer Heads? You actually play, huh? That's cool. I used to throw Piranha (26 gram) for competition. I had 2 sets; my good ones and my "eet fuk" ones for practice and general bar room fun. I miss playing.

odinn7

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2005, 08:45:20 PM »

trek_geezer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hey Menard I had a present all picked out for you
> , but did you know the Postal Service has a rule
> against sending live explosives through the mail?
>
> --------------------------------
>
>

Nice!

Zapranoth
Eye of Sauron and

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2005, 10:00:05 PM »

My wife and I decided to seriously consume this year, and bought the Big-Ass TV we've been pondering getting for years... bought a 52" JVC DLP.  Man, this is a new way to watch movies at home.  We agreed that would be our present to ourselves.  This is not our usual M.O. for Christmas, but we decided we'd do that this year.  We don't get any TV reception and don't have cable -- it's all just movies.  So we can totally coke ourselves out on movies now.  =)

Also got the second season of the new Battlestar Galactica, socks, Ghostbusters I and II.    

dean

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2005, 10:26:56 PM »

Party at Zap's place, apparently we have to bring the coke though...

That's a pretty good christmas methinks!

Oh and on another note, a friend of mine bought Ghostbusters I and II the boxset, and apparently it comes with a few episodes of the animated series on it, though he hasn't opened it yet so we don't actually know.  Do your copies have some on the discs?  I have about two episodes on video, and I really liked the tv series, so it would be a nice addition to the collection and was just curious.

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Menard
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2005, 10:46:21 PM »

trek_geezer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hey Menard I had a present all picked out for you
> , but did you know the Postal Service has a rule
> against sending live explosives through the mail?
>
> --------------------------------
>
>

Now that's a good one. That was clever and sly and.....hey....who is that impersonating trek_geezer!?!

Zapranoth
Eye of Sauron and

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2005, 10:49:25 PM »

Looks like the disc for Ghostbusters II has two episodes of the animated series on it.

There's a little bookie full of storyboard sketches in the boxed set, too.
Scottie
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2005, 01:30:04 AM »

I got a C-Stand a Tripod base, lots of gels and filters, a new pair of Birkenstocks (mom gift), and some dinky little "Great Moments in FIlm!" book. The C-stand is great. With my demands for extra arms or places to put my drink, I'm sure I can find a use for it. No, actually it will be an invaluable resource for my upcoming film and video projects. There is nothing, I mean nothing, that works better on a set than a C-stand.

Yeah baby

___<br />Spongebob: What could be better than serving up smiles? <br />Squidward: Being Dead.
Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  For christmas « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.