Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:32:24 PM
714377 Posts in 53096 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Doctor Who « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Doctor Who  (Read 6508 times)
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2006, 04:16:18 AM »

Tom Baker was the current Doctor when I first started watching the show. Saw a bit of Pertwee, earlier on, but for me, Baker was the Doctor. I remember being freaked out by some of the really wacky monsters of the Baker years - Morbius, the Zygons, Davros and others I can't name.

Davison was in the role when I was old enough to appreciate the show (high school). Thought Teagan was hot, then thought Peri was hotter. Started discovering the previous Doctors when the show was being rerun here (with story parts joined into single episodes) in the mid-80s. From Hartnell to Tom Baker, I think each Doctor was better than the last. The Hartnell and Troughton episodes get extra points for their charm. From Tom Baker to McCoy, the opposite is true. Watched a bit of Colin Baker, and totally lost interest in McCoy. Davison was the last Doctor who was any good, before Eccleston.

Loved the episodes when the doctor teamed up with himself. One of the best lines was Hartnell, upon seeing Pertwee and Troughton, lamenting that his future selves were "a dandy and a clown." The Five Doctors was simply amazing.

Been enjoying the references to the original show in the new one, from the appearances of the Daleks to the Doctor being known to the British government, thanks to his past work with UNIT.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
dean
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2006, 07:44:57 AM »

Hmmm... randomly turned on the TV today and one of the local channels had two back to back episodes of Doctor Who showing, which was fun.

The Doctor was one of the Bakers though I can't remember which one.

[And who doesn't love that cool theme song!]

I've been a vague fan of the show for a while, through sporadic viewings over the years.  I enjoy it when I do watch it, but I haven't watched nearly enough to consider myself a true fan I guess.  I did quite enjoy the latest series with Eccelston and Billie, since it was a nice change of pace to the usual programming that they had on at the time, but I'm not enough of a fan to judge how it compares to previous outings.

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
ToyMan
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2006, 12:07:59 PM »

trek_geezer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The  The Classic Dr.Who page on the BBC website
> has a lots of pictures and other information about
> the show.

yeah, it's pretty great, but what i'm really looking for is a database of episode summaries that has screen captures for every episode within it. outpost gallifrey comes damned close, but a lot of their summaries are without pictures. while some of the stories sound vaguely familiar, i know that even just a picture of the monster, some of the characters from the episode, or even some captures showing the sets would certainly jog my memory...

thanks, though.

Just Plain Horse
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2006, 04:02:52 PM »

I always found it a rather amusing show- the guy's always doing his own thing and he really isn't too bothered by everybody else's absurd ambitions and plans for conquest- he just steps in, foils them, tips his hat and leaves again. Tom Baker is definitly the one I remember, he seem to fit the bill the best. Definitly a bargain basement show, but all the better for it. The more money put into a project, the less freedom it has...
ToyMan
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2006, 04:23:21 PM »

good point, some of the episodes were made on a very small budget, and i'd still put episodes like "the talons of weng-chiang", or "the leisure hive" up against half of the glossy, million-dollar garbage that hollywood pumps out.

ToyMan
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2006, 04:26:04 PM »

also, am i the only one who's collecting the dvds of the original series? it seems like they're coming out at an incredibly slow pace, but perhaps they require lengthy remastering sessions.

Just Plain Horse
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2006, 01:34:29 PM »

ToyMan Wrote:
> good point, some of the episodes were made on a
> very small budget, and i'd still put episodes like
> "the talons of weng-chiang", or "the leisure hive"
> up against half of the glossy, million-dollar
> garbage that hollywood pumps out.

I fully agree with you, though I'm more of a Daleks fan than anything else. EXTERMINATE!
raj

« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2006, 03:12:26 PM »

Love Dr. Who.  Tom Baker was my introduction to the series, so he's what I think of when I think of Dr. Who.  Haven't gotten any of the series DVDs yet, but they're on my list (though I need new glasses & contacts, need to have a dental checkup, and probably should have a medical check up too.)

I did get a Dr. Who movie starring Peter Cushing (IIRC) that is a bit different from the series.  It just doesn't work for me.
ToyMan
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2006, 01:14:03 PM »

yeah, i saw the collection that anchor bay put out, and after reading up on it, i figured it wasn't something that would interest me. i mean, right off the bat he's just some genius earth scientist who created the tardis himself? not too exciting.

BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2006, 05:11:56 PM »

I thought I add this. I just heard on another board that beginning in March of this year, the SciFi Channel will start airing the first season of the Eccleston episodes of the new "Dr. Who." No word as to the day and time.
ToyMan
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2006, 10:11:27 PM »

i'd rather have classic episodes. not a fan of eccleston's acting.

Max Gardner
New Visitor

« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2006, 10:45:21 PM »

I've always enjoyed Doctor Who. I used to watch it on PBS when I was a kid, barely old enough to understand anything that was going on, and later on NJN. Naturally, I was happy as a lark to hear of the series' revival. I've enjoyed it thus far, flawed though the new season was. The next season looks to be taking a more traditional approach to it. It'll be nice to see K-9 and Sarah Jane Smith again, and David Tennant just seems somehow more "Doctor-ish" than Eccleston.
ToyMan
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2006, 07:06:32 PM »

having eccleston as the doctor seemed to make about as much sense as casting vin diesel. okay, perhaps that's an exaggeration, but eccleston seemed way too "slick".

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2006, 04:07:43 PM »

But that's the great thing about the Doctor. His personality can change wildly from one regeneration to the next. Eccleston is a little more of a fast-talking smartass than the other doctors, but I think he's got some of the same nutty charm that made Tom Baker's Doctor so great.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
ToyMan
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2006, 08:13:50 PM »

he doesn't even look disarmingly goofy. just ain't right. i'll take classic coke and tom baker any day, thanks.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Doctor Who « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.